ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,221 of 8,267
I'm trying to decide on my next amp to pair with the Auteur's. Looking at tube amps. Preferably under $1500... could stretch to $2000 maybe.

I love the Freya into Jot combo I mainly run. I also have a Valhalla 2, but I would love to see how these sound on a nicer tube amp.

What are you guys happy with in this price range?

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,222 of 8,267
I'm trying to decide on my next amp to pair with the Auteur's. Looking at tube amps. Preferably under $1500... could stretch to $2000 maybe.

I love the Freya into Jot combo I mainly run. I also have a Valhalla 2, but I would love to see how these sound on a nicer tube amp.

Read some good reviews on A&S Kenzie Encore....

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #2,223 of 8,267
I wonder if the DNA stratus would be a good match up.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,224 of 8,267
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #2,225 of 8,267
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #2,226 of 8,267
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #2,227 of 8,267

This might be just what you're looking for...ZMF's own amp...I'd love to hear it myself, but you know you have Zach's approval.

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pendant/

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #2,228 of 8,267
Zach used a Stratus to demo some of his headphones at CanJam. Kinda hard to miss in that video.

Oh ya I missed it. That looks smaller than a stratus.

DNA-Stratus-1sm.jpg

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2,229 of 8,267
Is anyone here using solid pads of any kind on the auteur rather than perforated? How does it sound?

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,231 of 8,267
Im not getting any microphonics from my 2k cables...
Yeah it may sound critical in the way that I worded it, however it's very minor. I've had worse cables, just the non-sleeved part after the splitter though and definitely not something immersion breaking, sounds great with just about any mini-xlr headphone I've tried.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #2,232 of 8,267
Oh ya I missed it. That looks smaller than a stratus.

DNA-Stratus-1sm.jpg

Though he has used the Stratus to demo the headphones at a lot of shows, the amp shown in the video is actually the DNA Sonnett. Also an awesome amp.

Really, if Donald North built it, you can’t go wrong.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,233 of 8,267
Although I've not specifically heard an Auteur from a Torpedo III, I find it difficult to believe that it wouldn't be a good match up. I had the pleasure of listening to @cskippy's Blackwood in Phoenix and I currently own a TIII. So while I've not heard the two together, I feel that's sufficient basis to make the recommendation.

Feel obliged to issue a correction to this earlier unfounded statement of mine. I did not enjoy the Auteur with the Torpedo III. Not a terrible matchup... but also not particularly compelling. The best ZMF dynamic headphone for use with the T3 was the Atticus, after auditioning all three and settling on keeping the Auteur.

As yet, I don’t feel that I’ve found an amplifier that syncs with the Auteur in a manner reported by other enthusiastic owners. Perhaps I will in the future. At present, the ZDT Jr. offers the best price/performance ratio, being less “compressed” as compared to the otherwise excellent MCTH. Whereas the KSA-5 Klone offers the most engaging, technically surefooted presentation overall.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,234 of 8,267
Feel obliged to issue a correction to this earlier unfounded statement of mine. I did not enjoy the Auteur with the Torpedo III. Not a terrible matchup... but also not particularly compelling. The best ZMF dynamic headphone for use with the T3 was the Atticus, after auditioning all three and settling on keeping the Auteur.

On the other hand, I had a chance to hear the Torpedo III with both my Auteur and my Eikon and loved the combination. So much so, in fact, that I preordered the Torpedo 4.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #2,235 of 8,267
Guys I need headphone pad advice please. I'm trying to tilt the sound of the auteur down further to emphasize the bass more and make it sound more like the eikon.

I can either choose the non perforated suede auteur pads or the non perforated suede eikon pads.

I tried the Ori non perforated suede pads from my Atticus and although the bass was amazing I lost too much trouble detail and airiness. I am hoping one of the two pads above would be the perfect fit for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back