ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #2,176 of 8,271
Apologies if you’ve posted before (and I've read it) how do you compare the auteur to the ed x v2? Have you owned the auteur or had for a while or demoed much?

Ta

Hey Crow! Glad to see you're doing well.

I've owned the Auteurs since April of this year. Been enjoying them immensely.

Auteur pads:
Take my comparison to the HEX V2s with a grain of salt since it's all coming from memory. With the Auteur pads the Auteurs and V2s seem to have the same width to sound stage. The V2s possibly edging it out by a small amount. The V2s beats it hands down in how tall the stage is but the Auteurs beats it in depth. The Auteurs have a neutral warm sound to them while the V2s have a warmer sound. The Auteurs really give weight to music. The HEX V2s can be somewhat punchy but notes have this ethereal quality to them. They float and have more air around them, which I enjoy, but the Auteurs give it substance. They both image as well as each other. I feel the V2s have the edge in note attack but the Auteurs have the advantage with note end and reverb.

Eikon preforated pads:
It brings the meat and potatoes to the table.
Think of it as super HD650 just with the veil removed. Much more punchy than the HEX V2s, smoother transition from bottom to top, and focuses more on mids. The pads work great with Jazz, Blues, and Electronic music. I find piano notes float with the V2s but you can really feel the the impact when a key is struck on the Auteurs. You can definitely feel double drum kicks with these pads. The sound stage is more collapsed with these pads so the HEX V2s beat it here except in depth. It's still wider compared to the HD650s.

Comfort:
The headphones are heavier but not uncomfortable compared to something like the LCD-2s. The V2s disappeared when I'd put them on.

I personally prefer the Auteurs to the HEX V2s. I find them more technical but still having a romantic sound. With a tube amp they really bring a life like quality to notes. The Auteurs I feel bests it in tonality.

Hope this helps. I really enjoyed the HEX V2s (heck I miss them at times) but I wouldn't give up my Auteurs for them.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,177 of 8,271

Auteur pads:
Take my comparison to the HEX V2s with a grain of salt since it's all coming from memory. With the Auteur pads the Auteurs and V2s seem to have the same width to sound stage. The V2s possibly edging it out by a small amount. The V2s beats it hands down in how tall the stage is but the Auteurs beats it in depth. The Auteurs have a neutral warm sound to them while the V2s have a warmer sound. The Auteurs really give weight to music. The HEX V2s can be somewhat punchy but notes have this ethereal quality to them. They float and have more air around them, which I enjoy, but the Auteurs give it substance. They both image as well as each other. I feel the V2s have the edge in note attack but the Auteurs have the advantage with note end and reverb.

Eikon preforated pads:
Think of it as super HD650 just with the veil removed. Much more punchy than the HEX V2s, smoother transition from bottom to top, and focuses more on mids. The pads work great with Jazz, Blues, and Electronic music. I find piano notes float with the V2s but you can really feel the the impact when a key is struck on the Auteurs. You can definitely feel double drum kicks with these pads. The sound stage is more collapsed with these pads so the HEX V2s beat it here except in depth. It's still wider compared to the HD650s.

Comfort:
The headphones are heavier but not uncomfortable compared to something like the LCD-2s. The V2s disappeared when I'd put them on.

I personally prefer the Auteurs to the HEX V2s. I find them more technical but still having a romantic sound. With a tube amp they really bring a life like quality to notes. The Auteurs I feel bests it in tonality.

Hope this helps. I really enjoyed the HEX V2s (heck I miss them at times) but I wouldn't give up my Auteurs for them.
Thanks for that post - great commentary for me to keep in mind re ear pads

(As good a value as the hd650's are, particularly the hd6XX which is fantastically stupid for $200, i find it a little hard to talk about them as being on the same level as say lcd 2 or ed x v2.)

Having said that i agree with the way you described the v2's which i demoed quite extensively and the ananda that i recently bought. The ananda's were a little better than the v2s. As a friend recently said the v2s i found had a little bit of bells and whistles going on in it's presentation but the anandas seem more cohesive and balance with an ability i believe to scale well. better treatment of highs. good/fair value for $1k which was good to see

and the way you compared the auteur to them is kinda the impression I have got from this thread - more weight in sound. I'm looking forward to hearing their tonality and "tone and reverb" that you mention

it will be interesting to hear how the bottom ends compare for me
the eikons and atticus didn't grab me when i had a listen to them a while ago but i'm somewhat confident the auteurs will/could.
I'm thinking that due to their closer to neutral toning and (semi) openness

it will also be interesting to compare them to my lcd2

I'm hoping to hand my money over for a pair tomorrow

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #2,178 of 8,271

Auteur pads:

Eikon preforated pads:

Comfort:

Very helpful post! I've been thinking about selling my Clear and getting a V2 but it seems somewhat not worth it from this comparison. Would you say the HEK V2 is a nice second pair to keep along with the Auteur or are they too similar in sound?

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,179 of 8,271
Very helpful post! I've been thinking about selling my Clear and getting a V2 but it seems somewhat not worth it from this comparison. Would you say the HEK V2 is a nice second pair to keep along with the Auteur or are they too similar in sound?

I’ll shoot my thoughts in a PM. Give me a few.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,180 of 8,271
Got in a new cable for the Auteur's today. It's a Norne Volsund. Very light weight and supple. I can't comment on any sound differences yet, need some time using it. But I can say it's a beautiful cable.
_DSC1391.jpg

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,181 of 8,271

#LCMusicLover has both maybe you can ask him what he thinks...

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #2,182 of 8,271
Got in a new cable for the Auteur's today. It's a Norne Volsund. Very light weight and supple. I can't comment on any sound differences yet, need some time using it. But I can say it's a beautiful cable.
Volsund + Auteur is a great combination, congrats on yours. Here's a quick post I made after receiving my sleeved Volsund for use with Auteur.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #2,183 of 8,271
For relatively neutral, TOTL cans, I think they’re pretty different. I find the HEKv2 much softer/smoother, more relaxed and laid back. HEK soundstage seems larger but less precise. HEK tonality is fairly neutral, but a bit tilted towards warm. Auteur seem more energetic, with more detail, also fairly neutral but a bit tilted toward bright. Vocals are significantly more forward from Auteur.

Difference is very noticeable on solo acoustic guitar, e.g., title track from Antoine Dufour ‘Development’. Lots of details (harmonics, fingering...) hide or disappear completely from HEK, but stand out from Auteur. That sense of energetic intimate detail, along with the more forward vocals, are the most definitive differences I hear between them.

Piano on title track from Steely Dan ‘Aja’ is a stark difference. Sounds like an electric piano on HEK, real piano on Auteur.

The Cranberries ‘Zombie’ also really highlights differences. The heavily distorted guitar is rendered a bit inoffensively on HEK, while it’s more of a punch in the eye on Auteur. Dolores’ voice is much more immediate/urgent on Auteur.

Bass quantity is similar, but the quality is different (planar vs dynamic). I hear more bass impact from Auteur, more sustain from HEK. Better character with plucked electric bass notes and bass drum strikes from Auteur.

As far as ‘similar in sound’, in my stable, Auteur/Utopia are similar, as are HEK/EFO. None of the are bass cannons though, so if that’s the difference you’re chasing, then HEK/Auteur are pretty similar.

Personally, I’m preferring Auteur to HEK most of the time. I might prefer HEK with ambient/chill music (think Bliss). Another good artist to compare is Loreena McKennitt. Her music is complex, with lots of layers. If you want her voice to be out in front, pick Auteur. If you prefer that her voice seem like ‘just another instrument’ then pick HEK.

Please keep in mind that I think these are both very good headphones, and I enjoy both of them. While I know you weren’t asking for a comparison between HEK & Auteur, I figured my bias would show anyway, so why not be explicit?

GLTY

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2,184 of 8,271

Very nice indeed. Using the Atmos cable from ZMF there is a subtle but noticeable difference (to my ears at least) - in particular in terms of weight of the music. A little more meat on the bone compared to stock cable.

Only slight niggle is that is had a bit more microphonics than stock, especially the unsleeved part.

A54D6B74-AB9A-46D0-B01A-23DBB71B77D6.jpeg

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #2,185 of 8,271
I’ve noticed the microphonics on the Atmos cables as well, but it’s rarely noticeable. I think it’s because the braid doesn’t seem to have any sort of adhesive holding it together? Maybe that and the material around each wire is very thin and not absorbing noise?

The microphonics on the Atmos S don’t seem to become an issue unless you run your fingers down the unsleeved section or the left and right sides are making contact for some reason. I found it useful to bend each side outward a bit right above the splitter.

The 2k and Michanikos cables are much better with microphonics so if that’s a major concern for anyone I’d probably suggested looking at those instead.

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,186 of 8,271
I’ve noticed the microphonics on the Atmos cables as well, but it’s rarely noticeable. I think it’s because the braid doesn’t seem to have any sort of adhesive holding it together? Maybe that and the material around each wire is very thin and not absorbing noise?

The microphonics on the Atmos S don’t seem to become an issue unless you run your fingers down the unsleeved section or the left and right sides are making contact for some reason. I found it useful to bend each side outward a bit right above the splitter.

The 2k and Michanikos cables are much better with microphonics so if that’s a major concern for anyone I’d probably suggested looking at those instead.

Hmm, I must say the 2K cable has some microphonics as well, it’s not too bad if you don’t move around too much, which I personally only do with the abuse of certain substances. :gs1000smile:

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,187 of 8,271
Hmm. I’ve owned 2k, Michanikos, and Atmos S. I think the 2k and Michanikos are far less microphonic, but I’m not saying they’re perfect either. I can’t remember if the ZMF OFC cable is any better with microphonics. If not one could always get another brand. Perhaps sleeved both below and above the split.

Personally, I'm a fan of the braid showing above the split + sleeving below. Probably my favorite look despite any minor microphonics issues.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #2,188 of 8,271
The Norne Volsund I just got in isn’t microphonic at all. It’s covered in a TPU like material.

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,189 of 8,271
The Norne Volsund I just got in isn’t microphonic at all. It’s covered in a TPU like material.

Same with the Forza Audio Works Claire which I also use - naked all the way. Must have a specially soft clear covering to make it noise free.

0831A874-2844-4AA5-961E-995553B033D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,190 of 8,271
Hmm. I’ve owned 2k, Michanikos, and Atmos S. I think the 2k and Michanikos are far less microphonic, but I’m not saying they’re perfect either. I can’t remember if the ZMF OFC cable is any better with microphonics. If not one could always get another brand. Perhaps sleeved both below and above the split.

Personally, I'm a fan of the braid showing above the split + sleeving below. Probably my favorite look despite any minor microphonics issues.

Zach's basic and OFC cable aren't microphonic. The braids are definitely gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back