ZMF Auteur Thread
May 10, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #4,921 of 8,271
Since I have my Auteur, I am no longer interested in my Meze Empyrean!
Sad but true.
The Auteur in connection with my modded Darkvoice, as well as the ifi Pro iCAN in Tube + Mode is just a dream.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #4,922 of 8,271
Since I have my Auteur, I am no longer interested in my Meze Empyrean!
Sad but true.
The Auteur in connection with my modded Darkvoice, as well as the ifi Pro iCAN in Tube + Mode is just a dream.
Love the way my Auteurs play with my modded DV. Also just finished putting a Speedball into my BH Crack, and they love that setup as well.

Can't go wrong with good OTL amps + ZMF headphones! What are you using for tubes? I'm currently running a RCA 6AS7 + Sylvania 6SN7W (metal base) in the Crack, and a pair of GEC A2293s + a CBS/Hytron brown-base 6SN7 in the DV. One of 'em is gonna get the dual-6J5 adapter with either the Super Silvertone 6L5s or the beer-can-looking Visseaux 6J5MGs.

May 12, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #4,923 of 8,271
Love the way my Auteurs play with my modded DV. Also just finished putting a Speedball into my BH Crack, and they love that setup as well.

Can't go wrong with good OTL amps + ZMF headphones! What are you using for tubes? I'm currently running a RCA 6AS7 + Sylvania 6SN7W (metal base) in the Crack, and a pair of GEC A2293s + a CBS/Hytron brown-base 6SN7 in the DV. One of 'em is gonna get the dual-6J5 adapter with either the Super Silvertone 6L5s or the beer-can-looking Visseaux 6J5MGs.
Zach is a mad genius and I have no idea how he gets such great sound. I was completely blown away the first time I connected my auteur to a tube amp. Any interest I ever had in neutral, analytical sound died right there.

I would argue though that ZMFs are at their very best connected to a good SET amp. :) YMMV though and thst just my personal taste.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,924 of 8,271
Zach is a mad genius and I have no idea how he gets such great sound. I was completely blown away the first time I connected my auteur to a tube amp. Any interest I ever had in neutral, analytical sound died right there.

I would argue though that ZMFs are at their very best connected to a good SET amp. :) YMMV though and thst just my personal taste.
The Auteur is that rare headphone that sounds great with any decent hp amplifier. To make the Auteur (with its static impedance measurement of 300 ohms) sound greater than great, though, a high quality OTL tube hp amplifier should be used. A high quality OTC tube hp amplifier will do also if set to high impedance ; my preference is to take the OTL route.

May 12, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #4,925 of 8,271
The Auteur is that rare headphone that sounds great with any decent hp amplifier. To make the Auteur (with its static impedance measurement of 300 ohms) sound greater than great, though, a high quality OTL tube hp amplifier should be used. A high quality OTC tube hp amplifier will do also if set to high impedance ; my preference is to take the OTL route.
I was never really an OTL fan but I haven’t heard that many OTL amps. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future if I hear one I really like.

I guess my complaint with OTLs that I have heard is the sound is wetter (more reverb) and has more mid bass bloom than I prefer. SS amps tend to be too dry and OTC SET amps sound about right to me. As you say though, I haven’t heard the Auteur sound anything but great with any amp I’ve tried, including my iPhone.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,926 of 8,271
I was never really an OTL fan but I haven’t heard that many OTL amps. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future if I hear one I really like.

I guess my complaint with OTLs that I have heard is the sound is wetter (more reverb) and has more mid bass bloom than I prefer. SS amps tend to be too dry and OTC SET amps sound about right to me.
I have learned you can't really lump all OTL'S into one sound sig, and same goes for SS, SET and hybrids. Also, throwing some tubes in the mix and rolling allows for adjustments, as there are dry and wet sounding tubes.

May 13, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #4,929 of 8,271
The Karelia Aeolus looks like my Auteur I kind of want it.

May 13, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,930 of 8,271
The Karelia Aeolus looks like my Auteur I kind of want it.
Yes please get that and sell me your Auteur :D you have one of the most awesome ones I've seen.

May 13, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,931 of 8,271
Yes please get that and sell me your Auteur :D you have one of the most awesome ones I've seen.
I love my Auteur so much I probably won’t ever sell it. However that doesn’t apply to the Olive VC Preorder I picked up. If the
VC is as good as it is made out to be, then I’ll line up for a Stabilized VC

May 14, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #4,932 of 8,271
Holding out to see what Zach's LTD Auteur will be. Hoping that decision is out soon, and it's only a modest $$ premium on the base grade.

Was slightly tempted today to pick up a stabilized set, but wanted the neutrality of the Auteur. I have a couple of sets of Aeolus, so this seems like the logical progression.

May 18, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #4,933 of 8,271
Holding out to see what Zach's LTD Auteur will be. Hoping that decision is out soon, and it's only a modest $$ premium on the base grade.

Was slightly tempted today to pick up a stabilized set, but wanted the neutrality of the Auteur. I have a couple of sets of Aeolus, so this seems like the logical progression.
I believe the LTD upgrade depends on the wood for Auteur. This is just going off memory which could be wrong. Feel free to correct me. Auteur LTDs has varied in price +100 (wenge), +100 or 200 (silk), +300(bocote, cocobolo, blackwood).

May 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #4,935 of 8,271
Was the Auteur Cocobolo a LTD edition because I sold my Teak Auteurs to acquire them. The Cocobolo and brass is killer and to my ears it sounds different which is something I like.
Yep it was. I sold my Cocobolo/Brass one since I needed to try a new HP out and couldn't afford both... regretting selling it for sure!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back