ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #346 of 8,271
How do you find the pairing? I love my iDSD Micro’s (original not BL) warmth and detail. Don’t think there’s enough difference between the original and BL to justify an “upgrade” as I only use the DAC section anyway (with a Matrix HPA-3B balanced amp). My LCD-2F sound brilliant with this pairing, and I’m holding thumbs my Barynard Atticus will like it as well.

PS. I’ve avoided Schitt because of their stubborn lack of support for native DSD, despite their DAC chips supporting it. The iDSD has a hybrid multibit chip with true native DSD support (up to DSD512).
From my understanding, the BL isn't as warm as the silver IIRC. I've only head the Black label and it seemed pretty neutral with no noticable coloration.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #348 of 8,271
I have a demo Auteur here, however I feel the need to reserve judgement for the time being. For now, I will say that they fulfill a certain niche in the market that I haven't personally seen tapped into before. I will also add that these are not simply a more linear, open Eikon. The words 'warm' and 'estat' come to mind.

Back to listening.

Edit: a word.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #349 of 8,271
I have a demo Auteur here, however I feel the need to reserve judgement for the time being. For now, I will say that they fulfill a certain niche in the market that I haven't personally seen tapped into before. I will also add that these are not simply a more linear, open Eikon. The words 'warm' and 'estat' come to mind.

Back to listening.

Edit: a word.

Estat? Wow! Have not heard that word in regards to headphones many times.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #350 of 8,271
Estat? Wow! Have not heard that word in regards to headphones many times.
I guess I could have used 'ethereal'... at least with the Auteur pads. I haven't encountered that kind ethereal sound outside of estats before. That's probably the most characteristic word for them, to me on my chain at least.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #351 of 8,271
I'm an idiot. I had my AGD C2.11 in my chain as a output selector/preamp and it was set to line level out but it was really killing these headphones. I've now removed from my chain and I have to say that everything is soooooo much more dynamic and lively! They were rather boring and really lacked dynamics and punch. But straight out of my Theta Progeny into my Klone, things are SO much more alive. I was previously going to wait until i got the perforated Universe pads before continuing with my listening but I have to say that I'm enjoying these MUCH more now.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #352 of 8,271
Pending Pending Pending -- always Pending!

i want to see 'Building', 'Testing', 'Shipping', 'Received' and 'JOY'

JK, but I don't know how I'm going to survive 2 months of 'Pending'. :beer: :triportsad: :tumbler_glass:

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #353 of 8,271
Off topic, but what does the blue coloring in the upper left of the profile picture mean?

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #356 of 8,271
Pending Pending Pending -- always Pending!

i want to see 'Building', 'Testing', 'Shipping', 'Received' and 'JOY'

JK, but I don't know how I'm going to survive 2 months of 'Pending'. :beer: :triportsad: :tumbler_glass:

I looked at the Atticus / Eikon order status sheet and all of them are in the finishing step. This means to me that maybe, just maybe, Auteurs will be started in production.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #357 of 8,271
;l;'pppklk
I looked at the Atticus / Eikon order status sheet and all of them are in the finishing step. This means to me that maybe, just maybe, Auteurs will be started in production.
I believe the plan is to have a pretty large first wave ready for shipment once the release date hits in January, but I could be wrong of course. :D

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #358 of 8,271
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #360 of 8,271
Great review! Just got my Atticus today. Look forward to auditioning the Auteur one day. Do you think the two would be complementary or too much of a crossover? I’ve currently got the Atticus as my TOTL closed headphone and LCD-2F as my TOTL open headphone, and find the two highly complementary across all the music I like to listen to (punchy and fluid Atticus, detailed but laid back LCD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back