ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #331 of 8,254
Disclaimer: Zach provided the Auteur to me for free to try out for a couple weeks and I offered to write a review. My sound preferences are neutral with a warm tilt.
My main gear consists of a Schiit Gumby, Eddie Current ZDS, HD600, 650 & 800S.

Intro/Build quality/comfort
The Auteur is the first open back and third in house headphone designed by ZMF and uses the same biocellulose driver design as the Eikon. Impedance is 300ohm, so it will be pretty revealing of what you are feeding it.

If you own an Atticus/Eikon, you can probably skip the rest of this section. For everyone else:
These are handmade artisan headphones made by Zach himself or maybe a couple of helpers. Everything on the outside of the headphone is made up of wood, metal and leather. No plastic parts to see and they feel solid in the hands. Getting a comfortable fit is generally pretty easy as the headband is very flexible and you can bend it to get just the right amount of clamp. These are heavy headphones, but they wear their weight well thanks to the ergonomic headband and suspension strap combo. I could wear these for hours without any discomfort, unlike the Audeze LCD series or old Hifiman models. If you do have an issue with weight, I would recommend buying the Teak model of the Auteur as it is lighter than the Blackwood LTD.

Bass
Bass extension is quite good for an open headphone, one of the best I've heard in its class. Low bass notes come through with authority. Still, if your a sub-bass junkie I would recommend taking a look at the Eikon which has a tasteful boost to the sub-bass with even greater extension than the Auteur. Bass extension is great and unlike the HD650 which I compared extensively with the Auteur, distortion in the Auteur is quite low as I hear it. Measurements posted by others show bass distortion levels staying below 1%. This is getting close to HD800 levels of low distortion which is fantastic. More manufacturers need to do this. Mid-bass on the Auteur has a slight boost that seems to be centered around 50hz or so. It sounds like it is a bit smaller than the mid-bass boost on the HD650 by comparison. Upper bass stays linear into the mids with no bass bleed. Speed in the bass is pretty good. Better than HD800 but not quite as good as the Atticus which probably has my favorite bass profile of any headphone.

Mids
Mids are linear up until the upper mids/lower treble which has a slight boost (not quite as large a boost as the HD600 though, but almost). This gives the mids excellent clarity, though they don't stand out as a defining feature like it does on the HD600 line. The slight rise at the upper mids gives guitars a satisfying crunch (which my inner metal-head appreciates) and violins sound real and lifelike. Compared to the somewhat thin sounding mids of the HD800, the Auteur is full and dynamic. Excellent tonality just a smidge on the lush side. Micro dynamics are very good and on par with something like the HD650 and HD800. Vocals are neither forward or pushed into the background.

Treble
This is not your average ZMF headphone. Past headphones Zach has made always had a rather downward sloping signature with the treble feeling a little sub-dued (The Eikon was his first that broke from this trend, the Auteur is even more so). Treble extension is quite good though maybe not on par with the HD800 (However no need to mod like many do with the HD800). Cymbals crash with lifelike precision, however I still have to hand the overall quality of the highs to the HD800. Aside from the 800s peak at 6k, the treble is just slightly more refined where the Auteur can be a little rough at times. Despite this, the Auteur is never fatiquing except on bright recordings. The Auteur will not hide the ugly details of bad recordings, it just won't highlight them as much as the HD800 does.

Soundstage and imaging on the Auteur is pretty good. Width and depth are better on the Auteur vs the HD650, though it doesn't come close to touching the expansive stage of the HD800. Still, picking out individual instrument placements is not hard to do with the Auteur and the space between the notes are easily heard.

As a quick method of comparison between the Auteur, HD650 and HD800. I rate these on overall quality.
Bass: Auteur > HD800 > HD650
Mids: HD650 > Auteur > HD800
Treble: HD800 > Auteur > HD650

To go more in depth:
Bass: Auteur easily has the best bass response of the three. Goes lower than the Senns and is cleaner with good slam. The HD800 is also clean, but doesn't go as low at the Auteur. The HD650 is the worst of the bunch with higher levels of bass distortion and faster sub-bass rolloff.
Mids: This was actually a close one between the HD650 and Auteur, which says a lot about the Auteur (and probably the 650, seems as it is only a fraction of the price as the other two listed here). Clarity is great on both. Micro dynamics are easily heard on both. The HD800 gets knocked to last mostly because of the gradual dip into the upper mids which messes up some string instruments and some female vocals when they reach that high. They all three have great macro and micro dynamics and have plankton galore.
Treble: HD800 wins here for great extension and air, with the only downside being that peak at 6k (which is mitigated with easy mods). The Auteur and HD650 are close again here as well. The Auteur beats the 650 with treble extension and air, while the 650 beats the Auteur (and HD800) on tonality. The 650 treble is one of the smoothest I've ever heard while not masking any details.

Compared to other ZMF headphones:
I'll stick to comparing the dynamics, as I honestly don't think any of the T50 modded ZMFs can come close to what Zachs dynamics can do. I'm also making this separate from my HD800 and HD650 comparison due to the Atticus and Eikon both being closed headphones.

Bass: Atticus and Auteur both have an emphasis in the mid-bass, the Atticus more so. The Eikon is rather linear in the mid bass with a boost in the sub bass. As for quality, I'd make it a tie between the Atticus and Auteur. The Atticus has some of the best speed and punch I've heard in a dynamic headphone while the Auteur is the cleaner sounding headphone with really low bass distortion. The Eikon is good, just not as good as the other two. Sounds slower in comparison to both. That sub-bass rumble is quite something when listening to low bass notes however.
Mids: Auteur wins here with Atticus snapping at its heals. The Auteur barely wins out for me due to its excellent clarity across the entire midrange. Atticus gets close but is a little more uneven, however it is one of the best headphones I've heard for metal. The Eikon is a bit uneven as well, with a small dip in the upper mids. Not as bad as the Elear, but enough to put it behind the Auteur and Atticus.
Treble: Auteur wins easily. Has the best treble extension and air, probably helped by the fact it's an open back headphone. Atticus is just a bit smoother but doesn't have as good extension. Eikon is smooth for the most part, with a little bit more prescense than the Atticus, but there is a peak I hear in there that can bother me on some brighter recordings.

The Auteur has a very cohesive sound. What I mean by that is everything comes together as a whole, with smooth transitions as you go along the FR. So many headphones drop the ball here. The HD800? Great, cohesive sound until you get to the upper mids/lower treble and it goes off a cliff (or rather, up a mountain?). The HD650/600/580 has this nailed down. The Atticus almost has this. The Auteur does. Smooth transitions across the board. A bit of roughness in the treble compared to the best of them, but nothing that makes it sound disjointed.

Teak vs Blackwood
I have a blackwood and mahogany Auteur sitting here in front of me. Zach told me the mahogany will be similar to the Teak in regards to sound. There are some differences in the sound, but only slight. If I didn't have them both to A/B at the same time, I likely wouldn't of ever noticed the difference. The blackwood has a little bit faster decay, treble is a touch smoother. The blackwood is however noticeably heavier. Mine has the brass grill and rods instead of the black aluminum. If you like blackwood but are worried about weight, I would get the black aluminum over the brass. The weight difference isn't huge, but easily noticed when trying them both. I'm going to say what I always say in regards to woods, get the one you like the best.

Auteur vs Eikon earpads
All Auteurs purchased in the pre-order window come with both the perforated Auteur and perforated Eikon pads. The sonic differences are rather subtle. The Eikon pads smooth out that tiny bit of roughness I hear in the treble and give the impression of more bass quantity. This does however come at a cost of some air and the soundstage suffers a small amount for it. With the Auteur pads the soundstage is a bit wider and deeper than the HD650 on a good amp. With the Eikon they are about equal.

Gear Pairing
Tubes. There are some really good SS options (Black Widow and Ragnarok for example, Magni 3 if your on a budget) and if all you have is a SS amp don't fret, the Auteur sounds really good out of just about anything. If you ever upgrade though, give tubes a good long look. Not the gooey, syrupy stuff (Woo, LittleDot), but the highly resolving, nuanced tube amps from the likes of Schiit, DNA, EddieCurrent, Decware, AmpandSound, etc. The Auteur will not pair well with overly warm sources. An example of a bad pairing would be the Metrum Amethyst and the AmpandSound Kenzie. On their own when paired with a better complimentary amp/dac, this gear could work. However, together they are rolled off at both ends with soft, limp bass. The Auteur is transparant enough to show a weak link in your chain. Moving up to my own Gumby and ZDS, the Auteur opened up considerably, with much tighter bass control and air. A better match for the Kenzie would be something like the Gumby or Yggy, while the Amethyst would pair well with an EddieCurrent or Schiit amp. The Auteur will scale up with better gear much like the other ZMF dynamics, HD6x0 series and HD800.

Value/Who is this for?
These are $1,600 headphones ($1,400 right now on pre-order). They have a LTD edition Blackwood available for $300 more (Unless Blackwood is one of your favorite types of wood, I'd go for the Teak. $300 cheaper and is lighter on the head.) In a world in which used HD800 can be found for $600, almost anything looks like a poor value. However, the HD800 is mass produced by a large manufacturer and has been on the market for about 8 years. Of course the Auteur can't compete with that, being a handcrafted headphone built by 1 or 2 people and having just come out to market. A more fair comparison would be to other newish headphones in the $1k+ territory. These headphones include the likes of the Ether Flow ($1.8k), LCD-X ($1.7), LCD-3 ($2k), HE-1k ($3k) and even as much as the $4k Utopia and LCD-4 (almost forgot about the banana split sundae $6k). Considering many of these don't hold a candle to the Auteur with only a couple meeting or exceeding, I'd say in the current headphone climate the Auter at $1.6k is a decent value.

Who is this headphone for. HD800 lovers who wouldn't change a thing can give this one a hard pass (Check out the Atticus, provides an EXCELLENT contrast to the HD800). People who are neutral heads and love the 800 but want an alternative neutral leaning headphone that plays better with music the 800 doesn't do so well, this may be for you. People who do NOT like the 800 due to issues with the FR, tonality, etc, definitely take a look at the Auteur.

-

The Auteur has become one of my favorites along with the Senn HD600, 650, 800S and the ZMF Atticus. The excellent sound and top notch build quality make it a competitive option for those looking for headphones in the $1-2k price bracket.

Fantastic review...thank you!
I (think I) found it easy to understand your 'sonic observations', which can be hard to translate into words.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #332 of 8,254
I was going to order an Autuer, until I read about the "Gear Pairing" being bad! I have a Metrum Amethyst and AmpsandSound Kenzie, so the Autuer is off my bucket list.

It wasn't a bad bearing per-se, just not as good as what Mystic had on him. It didn't fit my taste either, but it was two warm/thick sounds with a "touch of warmth" kind of headphone. I didn't like the combo with the hd580 or HD800 either, if that puts it in perspective (not sure if mystic feels the same way or not.)

We sell the Metrum Dac's for their exceptional pairing with ZMF headphones: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/metrum-decware/ I just love the Amethyst, it reminds me so much of the EAD DSP 7000 but updated in a way. I still have an EAD 7000 and 9000. Lovely dacs even if they are 20+ years old!

I personally love the Kenzie and am looking to get the new Mogwai+ with a 5u4g rectifier thrown into the mix, it just looks so cool! The Kenzie just has the perfect "tone" for a tube amp IMHO, it's not too bright and not too dark. Just enough transients to be fast but still plenty of "tube harmonics." I really love what Justin did with the Kenzie and continues to do with his other stuff. The Kenzie has been such an easy recommendation because it really sits between other tube amps that are more "round" sounding and ones that people consider "linear" sounding tube amps. The tubes are also less expensive to roll, and you can use those great 5755 converters to use the Western Electric 5755 which opens up staging if that's your thing. The Kenzie is just the all around right size, tone and package that I think a lot of people want in a tube amp. Ofcourse YMMV!!!!

Here's a pic of the new Mogwai+ (not sure what the official name is that I'm drooling over.)

mogwai new.jpg

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #333 of 8,254
I was going to order an Autuer, until I read about the "Gear Pairing" being bad! I have a Metrum Amethyst and AmpsandSound Kenzie, so the Autuer is off my bucket list.

I really enjoyed the Amethyst with my ZDS and the Kenzie with my Gumby, just not both together (and not more than my own system). However it is important to note my sonic preferences. I didn't even like my HD800S (which is a much brighter headphone than the Auteur) with the Amethyst/Kenzie setup. It just doesn't match my sonic preferences. That is why I always try and list my preferred sound and my reference system whenever I post impressions. If you quite like the Amethyst/Kenzie pairing, then you may like the Auteur with it.

The Gumby/ZDS is the closest I have ever gotten to perfect in MY system and sounds radically different than the Amethyst/Kenzie combo, no matter what headphone is used.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #334 of 8,254
Edit: @cute Let me simplify this. I haven't heard the Amethyst but you would be hard pressed to find a better amp for the Auteur than the Kenzie unless you spend over 2grand.

If you liked the HP3 out of your set up then the Auteur is going to sound better. The Auteur is not any darker but has better mids and more openness than the HP3 with a larger soundstage and less bass. The Auteur is less thick in the bass as well and a little more focused but less in presence.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #335 of 8,254
We sell the Metrum Dac's for their exceptional pairing with ZMF headphones: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/metrum-decware/ I just love the Amethyst, it reminds me so much of the EAD DSP 7000 but updated in a way. I still have an EAD 7000 and 9000. Lovely dacs even if they are 20+ years old!

I personally love the Kenzie and am looking to get the new Mogwai+ with a 5u4g rectifier thrown into the mix, it just looks so cool! The Kenzie just has the perfect "tone" for a tube amp IMHO, it's not too bright and not too dark. Just enough transients to be fast but still plenty of "tube harmonics." I really love what Justin did with the Kenzie and continues to do with his other stuff. The Kenzie has been such an easy recommendation because it really sits between other tube amps that are more "round" sounding and ones that people consider "linear" sounding tube amps. The tubes are also less expensive to roll, and you can use those great 5755 converters to use the Western Electric 5755 which opens up staging if that's your thing. The Kenzie is just the all around right size, tone and package that I think a lot of people want in a tube amp. Ofcourse YMMV!!!!

Here's a pic of the new Mogwai+ (not sure what the official name is that I'm drooling over.)

That is actually a picture of my personal amp The Ampsandsound Mogwai Special Edition that is shipping to me on Monday. I am excited to hear it. I have some tubes to roll. I heard that brimar rectifier and it should sound nice in this. I imagine I will be taking the power and slam of the Mogwai and getting a sweeter tone more like the Kenzie.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #336 of 8,254
No offense to Paco Taco but I couldn't disagree more with a review. Actually I would have a tough time finding a review of an amp I disagreed more on. In fact I don't think that for under 1.7 grand you can find a better pairing for the Auteur. @cute If you already have the Kenzie then you have what you need. I just think that he doesn't like the Auteur. Ask @MattTCG about the Kenzie and you already have it. Then read his review and take the Auteur out of the equation.

It has more to do with the combo than the amp itself. The amp sounded pretty nice with the Gumby (still flavored and a bit closed in,) but the Amethyst made it too much honestly. The amethyst rolls a bit of bass of by itself and is warm, which doesn't mix well with the Kenzie. That's just my preferences honestly, the Kenzie is still one of the best amps I've ever heard. My preferences just lean more towards the ZDS or IHA-1 than the kenzie

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #337 of 8,254
It has more to do with the combo than the amp itself. The amp sounded pretty nice with the Gumby (still flavored and a bit closed in,) but the Amethyst made it too much honestly. The amethyst rolls a bit of bass of by itself and is warm, which doesn't mix well with the Kenzie. That's just my preferences honestly, the Kenzie is still one of the best amps I've ever heard. My preferences just lean more towards the ZDS or IHA-1 than the kenzie

The Metrum Dac's are Zero Feedback by design! The Kenzie is also Zero Feedback, I have been running my Kenzie with now the third Metrum, the Amethyst, and each upgrade has provided me with better, more satisfying results. I do know the tubes used in the Kenzie can make a difference, bass, tone, treble, soundstage and separation/imaging. Did you happen to try tube rolling, I suggest Tung Sol 1626, and 12SL7, they are the best I have found over the last 3 years that I have had the Kenzie. The Raytheon 2C52 may give you a more thick, syrupy sound, and it produces more gain, depends on the headphones though. I have more that 20 tubes for my Kenzie, and have tried a lot of combinations. I find the Amethyst a great pairing with the Kenzie, lots of detail, black background, vocals just appear in a space of their own. Personally I wouldn't part with the pair, maybe someone else has impressions with them and the Autuer, I'd like to hear!

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #338 of 8,254
I'm reading favorable reviews on the Auteur. Everyone thus far seems very happy with it. Nicely done @zach915m.

I'm reading mixed reports on the sound based on pairing. So, if I was interested in this headphone, I'd want to make sure that I knew exactly what I like for my sound, because I'm getting a sense that the Auteur is capable enough for you to hear your source and amp with little reserve. So if either the amp or source doesn't mesh with your sound preference, then it may not be for you. And following, if you "wouldn't part with the pair", then perhaps the Auteur will give you even more enjoyment because with how capable it is.

Ultimately, @cute, it may be difficult to find someone who has the same gear and sound preference you have and can provide impressions on these new cans. They're too new with only review samples out, and the Kenzie and Amethyst less widely used. Honestly, the best person is probably Zach.

Just my $.02

Aside and off-topic:

Can't speak for experience with the Auteur, as I have not heard it, but the Gumby>Kenzie>Atticus is a bonkers pairing.

Rolling tubes helped substantially, especially in respect to any perceived veil, or "closed-ness". I agree that the bass rolls off a touch, and could use with a bit more slam, but rolling a NOS Siemens 12AT7 w/adapter added some extension on both ends, tightened up the bass and the treble was sweetened up with a touch more air. I'd also agree with @cute's suggestion on the Tung Sol 1626s. They opened the Kenzie up, minimized a hint of veil and added some depth to the soundstage. Not massive changes, but subtle and a solid improvement.

I get @PacoTaco's observations and hear them as statement that proper gear pairing is critical to meet one's own preferential sound. I agree with that.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #340 of 8,254
For me, I have been using my blackwood Auteur with the Gumby and Ragnarok, a fantastic pairing imo. I have also tried the Auteur with the Auris HA2-SE, but I didnt like it as much as the Rag. It did not capture the sense of space and clarity as well as the Rag does, though it had better dynamics and better punch. The auris had more synergy with the HD800.
With the Feliks Euforia 2016 older edition, Auteur's soundstage, detail retrieval faltered. The amplifier itself was probably not for me in the first place- sub bass and treble roll off, poorer dynamics and soft punch, generally over-warmed tone like Woo Audio amps.

20171115_220355.jpg

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #341 of 8,254

Noted! Let us know more Zach :)

The Metrum Dac's are Zero Feedback by design! The Kenzie is also Zero Feedback, I have been running my Kenzie with now the third Metrum, the Amethyst, and each upgrade has provided me with better, more satisfying results. I do know the tubes used in the Kenzie can make a difference, bass, tone, treble, soundstage and separation/imaging. Did you happen to try tube rolling, I suggest Tung Sol 1626, and 12SL7, they are the best I have found over the last 3 years that I have had the Kenzie. The Raytheon 2C52 may give you a more thick, syrupy sound, and it produces more gain, depends on the headphones though. I have more that 20 tubes for my Kenzie, and have tried a lot of combinations. I find the Amethyst a great pairing with the Kenzie, lots of detail, black background, vocals just appear in a space of their own. Personally I wouldn't part with the pair, maybe someone else has impressions with them and the Autuer, I'd like to hear!

Noted!

Aside and off-topic:

Can't speak for experience with the Auteur, as I have not heard it, but the Gumby>Kenzie>Atticus is a bonkers pairing.

Rolling tubes helped substantially, especially in respect to any perceived veil, or "closed-ness". I agree that the bass rolls off a touch, and could use with a bit more slam, but rolling a NOS Siemens 12AT7 w/adapter added some extension on both ends, tightened up the bass and the treble was sweetened up with a touch more air. I'd also agree with @cute's suggestion on the Tung Sol 1626s. They opened the Kenzie up, minimized a hint of veil and added some depth to the soundstage. Not massive changes, but subtle and a solid improvement.

I get @PacoTaco's observations and hear them as statement that proper gear pairing is critical to meet one's own preferential sound. I agree with that.

Also noted!

I have a Kenzie waiting for me (Trevor hurry up with those cables!! hahaha). I also got the iDSD BL and Eikons to pair with it. Would going to a Bifrost Multibit bring any improvements in the setup?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #342 of 8,254
The Bifrost Multibit is a step up from the iDSD BL imho, but it may not be a good pairing with the already warm sounding Kenzie. I would think Gumby/Yggy as a more synergistic source. YMMV

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #343 of 8,254
I also got the iDSD BL and Eikons to pair with it.
How do you find the pairing? I love my iDSD Micro’s (original not BL) warmth and detail. Don’t think there’s enough difference between the original and BL to justify an “upgrade” as I only use the DAC section anyway (with a Matrix HPA-3B balanced amp). My LCD-2F sound brilliant with this pairing, and I’m holding thumbs my Barynard Atticus will like it as well.

PS. I’ve avoided Schitt because of their stubborn lack of support for native DSD, despite their DAC chips supporting it. The iDSD has a hybrid multibit chip with true native DSD support (up to DSD512).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #344 of 8,254
How do you find the pairing? I love my iDSD Micro’s (original not BL) warmth and detail. Don’t think there’s enough difference between the original and BL to justify an “upgrade” as I only use the DAC section anyway (with a Matrix HPA-3B balanced amp). My LCD-2F sound brilliant with this pairing, and I’m holding thumbs my Barynard Atticus will like it as well.

PS. I’ve avoided Schitt because of their stubborn lack of support for native DSD, despite their DAC chips supporting it. The iDSD has a hybrid multibit chip with true native DSD support (up to DSD512).
Still haven't heard it yet unfortunately. Im waiting for my cable to be finished and then I'll post impressions.
Never heard a Schiit dac before so I became curious. The iDSD BL will be stationary at my desk as for on the go I'll be using a Dragonfly Red with a pair of PortaPro X from massdrop :)

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #345 of 8,254
have a Kenzie waiting for me (Trevor hurry up with those cables!! hahaha). I also got the iDSD BL and Eikons to pair with it. Would going to a Bifrost Multibit bring any improvements in the setup?

Imo, you might want to look into the Lvl 1 Spring DAC, as that is suppose to be on par with the Yggy/Gumby and supports DSD. Though that's up to you. A mimby is so close to the Bimby you may just want that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back