ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,391 of 8,254
Ok Teak owners, who's had them the longest, and how has the wood aged? i've had mine less than a year but i'm noticing they're starting to darken quite a bit. they started out with a very light and orange-ish hue, and now they're 2-3 shades darker. Here's a pic. the bright overhead office lights actually brighten them up a shade or so. in natural light they're about as dark as the salire they're sitting on. i love dark wood so i'm hoping they continue to darken :)

Auteur.jpg

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #3,392 of 8,254
Interesting. I've had mine for a few months, but got them used from a fellow head-fier. not sure how long he had them. But I'm a bit excited about this. If there's one thing that I'm not 100% thrilled with, it's the lightness of the wood. I'd welcome them to darken a bit and really show off the grain.

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,393 of 8,254
Interesting. I've had mine for a few months, but got them used from a fellow head-fier. not sure how long he had them. But I'm a bit excited about this. If there's one thing that I'm not 100% thrilled with, it's the lightness of the wood. I'd welcome them to darken a bit and really show off the grain.
yeah i'm with you. i got the teak because they were the cheapest variant at the time, but i am not the biggest fan of the color. i'm hoping someone who's had a teak from the very first teak run will say they continue to darken to a deeper brown. i keep debating if i want to sell them for a more exotic looking pair like @wenbinbin2010 has on the previous page. those are one of the most beautiful headphone i've seen...stunning! any blackwood/cocobolo owners out there want to trade for teak? :)

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #3,394 of 8,254
and on the other side of the spectrum, someone around here had (or still has?) a pair of Ambrosias that are simply stunning. Very light, but gorgeous grain. I guess my issue is that the teak is sort of bland, right down the middle of light and dark.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #3,395 of 8,254
I'm not sure about the teak models, but my silkwood definitely looks different depending on what angle you are looking at them from.
I am attaching some photos I took just now, sitting in the same spot under my overhead lamp and only moving the headphone around. I don't know if this is caused by silkwood's properties, the wood's processing or the varnish, but the look of the cups is very dependent on how the light falls on them.
20191004_200343.jpg 20191004_200347.jpg 20191004_200351.jpg

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #3,396 of 8,254
I'm not sure about the teak models, but my silkwood definitely looks different depending on what angle you are looking at them from.
I am attaching some photos I took just now, sitting in the same spot under my overhead lamp and only moving the headphone around. I don't know if this is caused by silkwood's properties, the wood's processing or the varnish, but the look of the cups is very dependent on how the light falls on them.
that's quite a difference in the color based on the angle. i tried that with my auteur and it didn't change nearly as much. only when the lights were shining directly on the wood did it change much, which is to be expected. yours had a different hue on each angle, seems like. the teaks just bright/darken based on the amount of light hitting, but same hue.

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3,399 of 8,254
Hello to all you Auteur lovers. I am new to the fold and loving it.

A little over a year ago I sold a pair of Paduak Eikons to Pharmaboy. I contacted him a couple of weeks ago to see if he wanted to sell it back to me. His answer was nice but it was basically nfw. He gave me an excellent over view of the ZMF dynamic cans. I was fortunate enough to find and buy the Paduak Auteurs in the attached picture.

My theory was right. I had given up on the Eikons and a few other good cans because I was under amped to get the best out of them. A recent addition of an Apex Peak hybrid amp with the Volcano power supply has corrected that situation. Paired with the Auteur is pure sonic bliss! I really like the way that Zach builds and tunes his headphones!

2019_0909_115816_001.jpg

That padauk Eikon is some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen...not to mention an amazing headphone sound.

I had no idea any Auteurs were made in padauk. It's a beautiful look. Contrast that look w/the blackwood picture above. These headphones offer a wide metal color and wood species palette.

"Express Yourself"

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #3,401 of 8,254
Double-posting here and the headphone picture thread, but I couldn't resist. Cocobolo and brass is an absolutely stunning combo...sadly I had to move on from these Auteurs since I now have a Cocobolo Verite. FWIW, I thought the Cocobolo wood sounded more lush/dark than the Teak Auteur I had previously. In fact, if I hadn't gotten the Cocobolo Verite, I would have been completely happy with the Cocobolo Auteur, they were very comparable.

Disturbingly beautiful headphones...

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #3,402 of 8,254
Yeah, I would've done some unspeakable things to attain those, had I known they were available.

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #3,403 of 8,254
Damn, that cable is gorgeous. And so is the Auteur!! Blackwood?

Can you tell me which model & color cable it is?

Yeah, it's a Blackwood Auteur and the cable is a Silvergarde S3 in black//black & dark grey (herring bone) with wenge wood splitter, Eidolic gunmetal 4-pin XLR termination, and black heatshrink gloss on the Eidolic mini-XLR headphone connectors (left channel blue, right channel red).

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #3,404 of 8,254
Yeah, I would've done some unspeakable things to attain those, had I known they were available.

Well at least the Cocobolo Auteur are still available new from ZMF! I'll have to take pictures of my Cocobolo Verite sometime, but I think the Autuer looked better in some ways. Sad to see them go.

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #3,405 of 8,254
Ok Zach was able to take the Verite open and make a closed version that doesn't lose out to the open, and sound remarkably the same. Anyone else out there like me that really really wants a closed Auteur that retains the open sound but with the isolation inherent in closed sets? i can't listen to open headphones often enough, so having a closed Auteur would be a dream for me. i LOVE having an Atticus and Auteur as a complimentary combo, just wish the Auteur could get more head time. I have a Verite Closed (VC) on order, so we'll see how that pans out. i heard the Verite Open (VO), and though quite impressive, just didn't wow me as much as the Auteur did at the time. i love mids, and the Auteur had better mids, imo. they're more up front, and engaging. so part of me is very nervous the VC won't scratch the itch i have for a closed Auteur. I had talked to Zach about how the VC sounds, and he thinks his new unreleased hybrid pads will get me close to what i'm looking for, so i guess there's hope. but man i just want a closed Auteur! something about that biocellous driver that's magic. i did own the Eikon, but didn't like it nearly as much as either the Atticus or Auteur, for reference. anyhow, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back