ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 5, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #2,221 of 6,166
In other news, I'd have to say the ZMF updates on my cocobolo Atrium have been stellar. I remember when it was purchase headphone. Then wait 3 months and boom receive shipping notification.
What I remember from the Auteur intro was obsessively checking to see if the spreadsheet had been updated today and whether my set changed status. I think Zach got more orders up-front than he hoped for and also found that wood-working the Blackwood was more time-consuming than expected. In football terms, he out-kicked his coverage :)

Ordered in mid-November and received in early March. Now THAT was painful. Definitely worth the wait though!

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #2,222 of 6,166
I would say I like a "warm" sound signature, with strong mid/sub-bass and non-recessed midrange . I dont listen to music analytically nor do I listen to music whlist looking a a FR graph/measurements.
I'm new to the hobby so forgive me if I'm not using the proper parlance ! I just want to get lost in whlist listening to the kind of music I like- usually soft rock, acoustic, jazz and the odd pop.
All 3 headphones fall under the warm/dark signature and are not really tuned for analyzing music as they all have a slight boost in lower frequency. Out of those 3 the Atrium probably best fit your criteria imo. The VO and VC have a mild dip in it's midrange as compared to the Atrium and based on my experience the Atrium's transients, particularly the gentler edges and longer sustain decay, and it's dynamism makes it a compelling listening.

P.S. I'm enamored by the sound I get from my VO w/universe lambskin pads which is a configuration I've not heard since I switched over to Verite and subsequently the BE2 pads 2 years back. The space between the instruments plus the added stage width makes for a very immersive listening. Amazing headphone for jazz and I highly recommend listening to Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet with this setup.

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,223 of 6,166
What I remember from the Auteur intro was obsessively checking to see if the spreadsheet had been updated today and whether my set changed status. I think Zach got more orders up-front than he hoped for and also found that wood-working the Blackwood was more time-consuming than expected. In football terms, he out-kicked his coverage :)

Ordered in mid-November and received in early March. Now THAT was painful. Definitely worth the wait though!
Ahhh, good times checking that spreadsheet! That wait was something else. I do have to give it to Zach and the team for cutting down wait. My VO Blackwood took took 2-3 weeks and I was expecting a few months.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #2,224 of 6,166
Love the glow of the tubes. Here's another great selection of songs by Eilen Jewel

1658139175176.jpeg

Thanks for this recommendation. I don't have an Atrium (?Atriums) yet, but this is very good.

Roon/AMG labels this as country. That is clearly a mistake, as I do not like country, and I do like this a lot. Nice pace, she has a fine voice, the interplay between the musicians is excellent, as is the recording. And there's some twangy guitars.

Looking forward to the day when I can listen to this with a Atrium powered by a Folkvangr.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #2,225 of 6,166
Did someone say the glow of tubes?
20220805_231553.jpg

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #2,226 of 6,166
Thanks for this recommendation. I don't have an Atrium (?Atriums) yet, but this is very good.

Roon/AMG labels this as country. That is clearly a mistake, as I do not like country, and I do like this a lot. Nice pace, she has a fine voice, the interplay between the musicians is excellent, as is the recording. And there's some twangy guitars.

Looking forward to the day when I can listen to this with a Atrium powered by a Folkvangr.
I too am enjoying the album but out of Bottlehead Mainline and VC

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #2,227 of 6,166
The Atrium will deliver to me on Tue. I have a few questions about the amp. I'm using Burson Soloist 3XP right now. Will it pair well with Atrium or not ?
If not, I will sell it and get a tube amp. I saw a Pendant SE is selling right now. I'm debating it, Cayin CS-55A and HA-6A. Or any recommendations for an amp around $2k ?
I wish people can answer this question. I wanna know as well...

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,228 of 6,166
Ive owned a Soloist GT and ZMF cans are much better on a tube amp to my ears and most other ppl's too. I've had the GT and wa22 at the same time and tubes just sound better with the VC and Atrium. I may be biased because I love tubes but to me they are way more enjoyable on tubes. My wa22 did wonders for both the Atrium and VC. It is a great Amp and I believe there are some for sale on the classified section for under 2k

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,230 of 6,166
I used to have Feliks Elise and VO, VC. I like them with tube amp. I will change to tube amp soon. But still looking for a good one under $2500.
You can easily find the Euforia for that price on the used market.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,231 of 6,166
You won’t get an absolute answer to this as it’s 99% subjective. The Burson has more than enough power and is a fine amp in general so it should sound quite good in general with the Atrium. As for how good, that’s where the subjective opinions and preferences will come into play.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,232 of 6,166
I have always used ECP DSHA3F or SW51+ with ZMF and since I don’t have access to both my amps so I ended up getting Bottlehead Mainline with upgraded CAPS and have to say it pairs well with ZMF and is more linear and will let your source shine but good DAC is a must for ZMF headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back