ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,206 of 6,090
Do you listen to metal, hard rock or stuff with aggressive guitars? If so, which one do you prefer for that genre of music?
I like the atrium better for stuff with more aggressive guitars and the VC better for stuff with more busy passages
So if you could pick one of the Atrium , VC or VO across all genres what you picking ?
I’d take the atrium, it does vocals better IMO and is more tolerant of different recording styles. It’s just so easy to listen to and yet somehow really engaging too.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,207 of 6,090
So if you could pick one of the Atrium , VC or VO across all genres what you picking ?
I'd go Atrium, it's less fatiguing, has more forward mids, which I like, and is more natural sounding. The Verite models are excellent technical pieces but IMO lack the Atrium's musicality and high engagement factor. Totally preference based though, we'll all have different opinions.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #2,208 of 6,090
Totally preference based though, we'll all have different opinions.
Yep exactly. I could definitely see a “detail-head” preferring the verites as they’re super detailed and less fatiguing than other highly detailed sets on the market. Personally I’ve realized I don’t love an overly “fast” sound, I don’t think most music is mastered for it

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,209 of 6,090
I like the atrium better for stuff with more aggressive guitars and the VC better for stuff with more busy passages

I’d take the atrium, it does vocals better IMO and is more tolerant of different recording styles. It’s just so easy to listen to and yet somehow really engaging too.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess that was what I was hoping to hear. :) I had the VC and they were nice but just not energetic enough for me, at lower volumes needed for all day listening. My ears are perked up at the idea of trying an Atrium someday. How do I get on that demo tour? Ha ha!

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #2,210 of 6,090
Do you listen to metal, hard rock or stuff with aggressive guitars? If so, which one do you prefer for that genre of music?
I would say the Atrium for metal, hard rock, and anything with aggressive electric guitars. The VC is good too. I would be fine with either but if I had to pick it would be the Atrium for that specific purpose.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #2,211 of 6,090
Thanks for the feedback. I guess that was what I was hoping to hear. :) I had the VC and they were nice but just not energetic enough for me, at lower volumes needed for all day listening. My ears are perked up at the idea of trying an Atrium someday. How do I get on that demo tour? Ha ha!
If you didn't find the VCs energetic enough, I'm not entirely sure the Atriums will do it for you. I find the VCs very energetic, though I use the Universe pads, which increase their forwardness.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,212 of 6,090
The Verites have a faster impulse response, so ultra fast metal doesnt get muddied or blurred, which was my only complaint about the Atticus.
Somehow the Atrium, even though its not as fast as the Verite, does all kinds of metal, both traditional and faster stuff exceedingly well. I've yet to trip it up with death or black metal, and yet it sounds incredibly thick and tactile with slower stuff like doom metal.

The mids are much more forward in the soundscape on the Atrium as well.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,213 of 6,090
If you didn't find the VCs energetic enough, I'm not entirely sure the Atriums will do it for you. I find the VCs very energetic, though I use the Universe pads, which increase their forwardness.
It's not that they weren't energetic. I just found that I had to crank the volume up to experience that. For some reason, my all day listening sessions, while I worked, left me bored. They didn't provide that slight distraction that keeps me focused on my work while tuning out the office around me. When I was ready to blast them on a few of my favourite tracks, they were wonderful. I do worry that Atrium might not be far enough away from this to give me what I need but the likelihood of trying before buying is low so I might end up on the sidelines for a long time.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,214 of 6,090
It's not that they weren't energetic. I just found that I had to crank the volume up to experience that. For some reason, my all day listening sessions, while I worked, left me bored. They didn't provide that slight distraction that keeps me focused on my work while tuning out the office around me. When I was ready to blast them on a few of my favourite tracks, they were wonderful. I do worry that Atrium might not be far enough away from this to give me what I need but the likelihood of trying before buying is low so I might end up on the sidelines for a long time.
I hear you and am in a similar situation. If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see me comment that the Atriums do sound much more lively and punchy at low volumes than the VOs do, but that at higher volumes the VOs come alive. I'll listen to my VCs tonight at low volume and let you know how they are at lower volumes.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,215 of 6,090
Pretty sure most on this thread will prefer the Atrium and the VO and VC thread will prefer the others respectively. These are very different headphones and generally perform well across all genres so it depends. What is your sound preference?

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,216 of 6,090
In other news, I'd have to say the ZMF updates on my cocobolo Atrium have been stellar. I remember when it was purchase headphone. Then wait 3 months and boom receive shipping notification.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,217 of 6,090
Pretty sure most on this thread will prefer the Atrium and the VO and VC thread will prefer the others respectively. These are very different headphones and generally perform well across all genres so it depends. What is your sound preference?
I would say I like a "warm" sound signature, with strong mid/sub-bass and non-recessed midrange . I dont listen to music analytically nor do I listen to music whlist looking a a FR graph/measurements.
I'm new to the hobby so forgive me if I'm not using the proper parlance ! I just want to get lost in whlist listening to the kind of music I like- usually soft rock, acoustic, jazz and the odd pop.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,218 of 6,090
In other news, I'd have to say the ZMF updates on my cocobolo Atrium have been stellar. I remember when it was purchase headphone. Then wait 3 months and boom receive shipping notification.
I wish the stabilized sets had the same kind of updates, or at least an updated expectation for shipping, like “you’re now 10th in line” or whatever fits their process. The uncertainty of when it will come (0 to 5 weeks) makes the wait a little worse - but I also definitely recognize that it’s much worse for the folks waiting multiple months.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,219 of 6,090
I wish the stabilized sets had the same kind of updates, or at least an updated expectation for shipping, like “you’re now 10th in line” or whatever fits their process. The uncertainty of when it will come (0 to 5 weeks) makes the wait a little worse - but I also definitely recognize that it’s much worse for the folks waiting multiple months.
There's probably some kind of update we can come up with so that's definitely a good suggestion!

As of now all the stabilized and resin sets ha e been QC and are in the shipping queue so, shouldn't be too much longer (id think 10 days at worst.)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #2,220 of 6,090
I would say I like a "warm" sound signature, with strong mid/sub-bass and non-recessed midrange . I dont listen to music analytically nor do I listen to music whlist looking a a FR graph/measurements.
I'm new to the hobby so forgive me if I'm not using the proper parlance ! I just want to get lost in whlist listening to the kind of music I like- usually soft rock, acoustic, jazz and the odd pop.
Atticus, Aeolus or Atrium all fit that description

Users who are viewing this thread

Back