ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 27, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,026 of 6,107
Thank You for Your description :) You are right. For me dimension is not all. I have never heard any of ZMF cans. Atrium would be my first “blind” buy if a pull the trigger.

My reference regarding soundstage is:
LCD-X - small intimate,
Arya V2 - big natural
Heddphone - big but with little unnatural effects.

Ultrasone 15 - (with EQ) most natural and like speaker wise Soundstage

Haven’t heard Utopia and had 15 minutes with D8000 on audio show so I don’t remember them too much :frowning2:

PS: forgot about HD800s - too big, exaggerated and unnatural for me

I have the Arya V2 and the Atrium

Here is how I’d compare their soundstage:

The V2 has a very wide soundstage (similar to the HD800s). But it’s not deep and it’s width is probably slightly exaggerated (if very satisfying).

The Atrium is more 3D in its soundstage. Definitely more narrow than the V2, but its stage surrounds you. It feels very natural.

So the V2 has a definite wow effect, while the Atrium is more natural.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #2,027 of 6,107
@zach915m Hi Zach, I'm looking at the Atrium LTD Cocobolo on your website and wanted to what this configuration in the picture below was

1658926119140.png

Am I correct in saying this is the Aluminium Chasis + Black+ Copper Grill & Rod?
A few pages back Zach said those grills are aged copper.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #2,028 of 6,107
Thanks- Yes, I've rolled quite a bit on the BHC, including various 6080, 6as7g, and 5998. It's a fine/OK amp, I suppose. I definitely think my VO sound "darker" with less prominence in the highs when using the BHC. Just plugged them into my RME ADI2 DAC's solid state amp section and they brighten up quite nicely. I'm concluding the BHC might be the rate limiting step and it's softening the high end a bit (which I know can happen with tube amps)
In a 12au7, RCA clear tops or some NOS Chelmer will probably help the highs out. Both have good sparkle, but I think the RCA are a little brighter.

Edit: You might also consider a NOS Tesla ECC802S, Tungsram 12AU7, or French made Mazda/Belvu 12AU7 for something more balanced, but also good high-end.(the two above can be a little lighter on bass at times.)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,029 of 6,107
That is a great option to have. Certainly not the cheapest nor is it widely available outside of DIY but definitely makes it less of an issue. Was hoping to get @L0rdGwyn's OTL to go along with my Atrium but since it's no longer available I'd shift my focus back to listening.

It is very difficult to describe sound stage without first knowing your point of reference. The Atrium does stage very well both in depth and width. In terms of stage width it easily beats out the Utopia and is pretty on par with D8k, Verite. Possibly the widest sounding and most open sounding ZMF at the point of writing.
The La Figaro 339 has dual mono.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,030 of 6,107
Of all the ZMFs, I'm starting to think the Atrium is the best of the bunch for metal. First, metal is notoriously poorly recorded, so you need a headphone that's forgiving of it. It's also an intensely energetic genre that really comes alive with dynamic, punchy headphones. The Atrium fits the bill wonderfully, IMO. The upper frequencies have good presence, so vocals and guitars sound full and present, without any roll off. But at the same time, it's smooth enough to not cause fatigue, unless the volume creeps up too much. And the dynamics.... incredible! The punch and range the Atrium is capable of is really impressive. Drums really come alive, much like listening with the Atticus. The Atticus was my default choice for metal due to it's thunderous bass and rolled off fatigue free highs. The Atrium nearly matches the thunder of the Atticus while also being fatigue free but more present up top. I've been listening to a lot of Jazz and Blues the last few months, ignoring metal for no good reason. The Atrium reignited my love for it. The Atrium is a FUN headphone! I tend to rank music equipment by how engaged I become while listening. The Atticus has been my #1 since it's release. The King is dead, long live King Atrium

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,031 of 6,107
The Atticus has been my #1 since it's release. The King is dead, long live King Atrium
Long live the king!

I miss both of these headphones at times. :frowning2: I'm patiently awaiting the Atrium Closed to see if it retains the "palpability" but exhibits slightly less ear gain.

The Atrium is really cool in how it sounds so natural, but also fun at the same time. A lot of the time, "natural" is associated with "flat and boring."

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,032 of 6,107
Yes, I have a Bottlehead Crack Speedball, which I know may not be an ideal tube amp. I hope to purchase a TOTL tube amp in the future. Maybe I'm not in an ideal set up for the VO.
I have nothing but good things to say about the BHC, especially with the Speedball. Don't think that you're losing much when it comes to the "better" stuff. For that price, it punches well above its class. I think it's a great combo with the VO, as well. But of course YMMV. With that said, your later comment about the mids and highs on the amp is kinda spot-on....
A well built BHC with top notch tubes (and some select components) is truly a great OTL. Don't let it's price fool ya into thinking it's some entry level piece. :wink:

I've heard some amazing and expensive amps, but I've yet to feel the desire to move on from my Crackatwoa (Telefunken 12AU7, Bendix 6080)
I would love to try the Crackatwoa (I want to buy one some day). I don't know how it would compare to the Mainline, which I used to have. I figure, though, that it would be a delight to own.
Thanks- Yes, I've rolled quite a bit on the BHC, including various 6080, 6as7g, and 5998. It's a fine/OK amp, I suppose. I definitely think my VO sound "darker" with less prominence in the highs when using the BHC. Just plugged them into my RME ADI2 DAC's solid state amp section and they brighten up quite nicely. I'm concluding the BHC might be the rate limiting step and it's softening the high end a bit (which I know can happen with tube amps).
So you say the VO sounds a little "dark" with the BHC. I can understand this impression, and it's not completely wrong. I find that the BHC may have a lack of punctuation when it comes to the highs, and even though the bass slams like a monster (with stock 6080 tubes), and the mids are beautiful, it may be slightly anemic with the highs. I find the VO excels at the mid-high to high range, and you may be right in your impression that the highs are not so succint (and never close to sibilant) compared to other amps.
You stated that you have tried the 6as7g, which I think helps brighten the upper register a bit, while also reducing the bass a tad (I have a Sovtek 6as7g, if that helps for comparison).
Also mentioning the DAC you use is helpful. I haven't upgraded my stuff in years now, but when I want a "milkier" and more "organic" sound with the BHC, I find my AK120 is a great accompaniment. But when I use my AK320, it's much more precise, with more open clarity in the upper registry.
Thus, if you want to get more "neutrality" and clearer highs with your VO using the BHC, try the 6as7g with a more "tinny" DAC?

Finally, with the V281 pre-amped into the BHC and played through the VO... Wow. Speed, precision, bass impact, soundstage and clarity in the highs all seem to have a magical synergy. The BHC adds a slight "analog" touch and milky smoothness that rounds out the streamlined sterility of JUST the V281. So.... if you have a solid state source that favors precision, clarity, "neutrality", and emphasizes the highs - maybe combine that with the BHC, using a 6as7g, with the VO plugged in? I wonder what kind of magic would happen with that sound chain!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,033 of 6,107
Of all the ZMFs, I'm starting to think the Atrium is the best of the bunch for metal. First, metal is notoriously poorly recorded, so you need a headphone that's forgiving of it. It's also an intensely energetic genre that really comes alive with dynamic, punchy headphones. The Atrium fits the bill wonderfully, IMO. The upper frequencies have good presence, so vocals and guitars sound full and present, without any roll off. But at the same time, it's smooth enough to not cause fatigue, unless the volume creeps up too much. And the dynamics.... incredible! The punch and range the Atrium is capable of is really impressive. Drums really come alive, much like listening with the Atticus. The Atticus was my default choice for metal due to it's thunderous bass and rolled off fatigue free highs. The Atrium nearly matches the thunder of the Atticus while also being fatigue free but more present up top. I've been listening to a lot of Jazz and Blues the last few months, ignoring metal for no good reason. The Atrium reignited my love for it. The Atrium is a FUN headphone! I tend to rank music equipment by how engaged I become while listening. The Atticus has been my #1 since it's release. The King is dead, long live King Atrium
Hello sorry, so the Atrium is a forgiving headphone ? Easier to drive ?

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #2,034 of 6,107
I do find it to be a forgiving headphone overall, from an upper mids/treble presence standpoint. It's very non-fatiguing to my ears. I've noticed the most divergence in opinion seems to center around the upper regions though. I actually took my filter off the headphone, and run the BE2 earpads, which give it the most treble presence. And I still think of it as a SLIGHTLY dark headphone overall. I find the Auteur and both Verite models to be brighter up top, especially the Auteur. As far as driveability, it's not much different than any other ZMF. They love tubes, and are somewhat picky about synergy. I found the amps that the Auteur thrive on don't synergize as well with the Atrium (totally based on my tastes though). Plenty of power and drive, but just doesn't sound quite right. It made me seek out a new amp specifically for the Atrium.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,035 of 6,107
I do find it to be a forgiving headphone overall, from an upper mids/treble presence standpoint. It's very non-fatiguing to my ears. I've noticed the most divergence in opinion seems to center around the upper regions though. I actually took my filter off the headphone, and run the BE2 earpads, which give it the most treble presence. And I still think of it as a SLIGHTLY dark headphone overall. I find the Auteur and both Verite models to be brighter up top, especially the Auteur. As far as driveability, it's not much different than any other ZMF. They love tubes, and are somewhat picky about synergy. I found the amps that the Auteur thrive on don't synergize as well with the Atrium (totally based on my tastes though). Plenty of power and drive, but just doesn't sound quite right. It made me seek out a new amp specifically for the Atrium.
Atrium is picky with amp ?

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,037 of 6,107
The channel matching is likely more to do with the amp than the headphone. This happens with all stereo potentiometer. Some configuration have better channel tracking than others but all tube amps I’ve heard have imbalance at extreme low range.
I thought I had a channel imbalance on my Atrium too until I played it straight off my macbook and it sounded fine. Turned out I had a bad RCA cable (the cable had somehow come apart from the connector slightly). Fit is also super important, ZMFs are super comfy because they have a lot of range of motion, but it also means you have to be pretty careful about how you put them on your head since they don't just "fall into place" (at least not for me). If they're slightly off to one side, or not centered around your ear, that could create a perceived channel imbalance too even if the driver is fine.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,038 of 6,107
wWHjUN1_d.webp

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,039 of 6,107
Thank You for Your description :) You are right. For me dimension is not all. I have never heard any of ZMF cans. Atrium would be my first “blind” buy if a pull the trigger.

My reference regarding soundstage is:
LCD-X - small intimate,
Arya V2 - big natural
Heddphone - big but with little unnatural effects.

Ultrasone 15 - (with EQ) most natural and like speaker wise Soundstage

Haven’t heard Utopia and had 15 minutes with D8000 on audio show so I don’t remember them too much :frowning2:

PS: forgot about HD800s - too big, exaggerated and unnatural for me
I very much appreciate this post because I often find the discussion around soundstage frustrating and (unintentionally) misleading.

First, what do people mean when they say soundstage? For me it’s not just width, it’s also height, which is closely tied to layering.

Second, sure, the HD800s is super wide, but comparing another headphone to that one and calling it narrow is like watching LeBron play basketball and then seeing Luka Doncic play basketball and saying wow that Luka guy sucks. So I’m grateful to you and the other posters who’ve mentioned several cans and put them on a spectrum of sorts. Which headphones fall between the HD800s and whatever headphone whose soundstage you are discussing?

Third, I’m grateful to @Monsterzero for posting tracks that he thinks shows off how the Atrium presents soundstage. I follow threads not just for audio gear advice, but some of the music recommendations I’ve come across have been absolute gold. I think it’s super useful when reviewing some aspect of a headphone not just to talk in the abstract about what it sounds like, but to identify a song that shows the feature/aspect/quality the reviewer is discussing. But I digress.

I’ve heard a fair number of headphones at this point, and I’d agree the Atrium isn’t the widest, but it’s definitely on the wider end of the spectrum. And I’d agree with other descriptions that the stage feels more 3D in presentation, which I think gets to the point that the stage on the Atrium also has impressive height.

Pads. Chain. All these things will make a difference in how wide, tall, deep, etc. the stage is, but in its stock configuration, I’d say the stage is wider than average, but very natural. For me it’s as close to my ideal headphone as I’ve found.

The Utopia would be made favorite headphone if it matched the Atrium for soundstage. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I prefer headphones with a narrow soundstage to the HD800s which sounds extremely exaggerated to me any day of the week. That’s not to say I think it’s a bad headphone. It’s clearly not. It just doesn’t match my preferences or work especially well with the kinds of music I most enjoy listening to. More than any other headphone I’ve heard, the Atrium works for every single genre of music I listen to, and I listen to almost everything.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,040 of 6,107
Yes, my ears say very forgiving -- noticed that on a few different tracks. Easier to drive? Than what? Almost exactly the same as my OG Auteur.
Atrium is picky with amp ?
I wouldn't say picky, but it does change sound with different amps. Not as much of a chameleon as my Auteur, but close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back