ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 1, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #541 of 6,107
FedEx was playing games so I went to get my set yesterday and I still need to burn in, but the reviewers who said these have big impact and depth were NOT lying. I look forward to getting them burned in and the comparing to my VO and VC. While I LOVE my VC, I am in the small camp of ZMFers who prefers the VO.

Also, I don’t tend to mind the weight of my VO or VC too much, but the new headband is so comfortable, I didn’t think it was necessary but I miiiight have to invest in one for my VC.
I'm another who prefers the VO. I have switched back to them a couple times since I got the Atrium(2 weeks ago) and it really confirmed how much better they are to me. I loved the Atrium at first, but then they started to change and I liked them less and less for a few days there. I ended up putting them on one of my other rigs for break-in. That didn't seem to yield the result that I had hoped. I had been using an album that has pink, white, grey noise, etc... in different patterns for break-in. It helped some, but it was slow. The last few days, I have left them playing my favorite tracks list overnight and they have come a long way in a short time. So, in short, if you decide to run them unworn for break-in, you may get better results with music.

I think I'm almost to the point now where I can work out an EQ profile for these.

Oh, and did I mention that these are the best headphones that I have ever used to listen to records? They are. I do records a little differently in that my TT is essentially a transport. I convert the audio to 24/96 at the phono stage and feed it to a DAC for PEQ capabilities. I just setup a new Hana SL cart and it is quite possibly the best listening yet. The way that the Hana extracts detail and it's transient delivery has perfect synergy with the Atrium.

May 2, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #542 of 6,107
I'm another who prefers the VO. I have switched back to them a couple times since I got the Atrium(2 weeks ago) and it really confirmed how much better they are to me. I loved the Atrium at first, but then they started to change and I liked them less and less for a few days there. I ended up putting them on one of my other rigs for break-in. That didn't seem to yield the result that I had hoped. I had been using an album that has pink, white, grey noise, etc... in different patterns for break-in. It helped some, but it was slow. The last few days, I have left them playing my favorite tracks list overnight and they have come a long way in a short time. So, in short, if you decide to run them unworn for break-in, you may get better results with music.

I think I'm almost to the point now where I can work out an EQ profile for these.

Oh, and did I mention that these are the best headphones that I have ever used to listen to records? They are. I do records a little differently in that my TT is essentially a transport. I convert the audio to 24/96 at the phono stage and feed it to a DAC for PEQ capabilities. I just setup a new Hana SL cart and it is quite possibly the best listening yet. The way that the Hana extracts detail and it's transient delivery has perfect synergy with the Atrium.
I was wondering what you prefer of the vo over the atrium?

May 2, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #544 of 6,107
It's a brand new week fellas, with any luck maybe my aged cherry Atrium will finish the sanding and finishing stage this week, fingers crossed.
Finger crossed for mine. But i have a feeling its gonna be late May rather than early. Hopefully a T60Rp Argon with new MHA Oval Pads and a cap modded MJ2 will hold me off until then.

May 2, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #545 of 6,107
20220427_164045.jpg

Posted my impressions of the Atrium here: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2022/04/zmf-atrium-impressions-measurements.html

tl;dr - nothing new from my previous impressions other than I really really like using these with my rock music collection. It's a great combination for it. Probably my favorite ZMF headphone. I also love the overall design and looks!
Great review / impressions! The sun bass looks really rolled off on your measurements. I can’t look right now but it didn’t look quite that bad on the ZMF website. Does it really lack that much? It just drops off around 80

May 2, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #546 of 6,107
Great review / impressions! The sun bass looks really rolled off on your measurements. I can’t look right now but it didn’t look quite that bad on the ZMF website. Does it really lack that much? It just drops off around 80

No, it doesnt sound like that. There's a little roll-off but its most likely due to not getting perfect seal on my coupling plate. I didn't try to force it down to get more sub-bass. But most open-back dynamics have roll-off around this frequency, so its not unusual.

Just a fair warning for people who haven't seen measurements using my system before - the system is limited to accuracy up until 8 or 9KHz as well. There's more audible treble than what may be measured, especially in the case of the atrium. That's why I only add the graphs as a reference. My subjective impressions of Atrium are that it's not as dark as it may seem but still comparatively so than say my Susvara.

I love the sound of the Atrium overall. I just gave it a "S" tier ranking on my list, alongside Utopia and Susvara. May need to consider buying one in the future, but I'm trying to cut back on spending right now to spend money on home improvements this summer. :frowning2:

May 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #547 of 6,107
I was wondering what you prefer of the vo over the atrium?
The VO are just smoother and more laid-back. Especially in the mids, but all while maintaining detail. The Atrium can get a little peaky in vocals with several artists that I have tried. I've had little luck EQ-ing for that without killing detail for other aspects, but I suspect it was too early due to break-in not being finished. Also, the Cherry Atriums seem to resonate heavily around 75-80Hz if you try to run an elevated Bass shelf. It gets really annoying during break-in, but seems to be mellowing now. Like I said, they continue to change and improve for the most part. I just think the VO suits me personally very well and I doubt the Atrium will become my favorite, but time will tell. I'll likely keep them either way, if for no other reason, listening to records. The brighter mids of the Atrium may never line up as closely to my preferences, but we are talking minor differences here. They are both excellent and worth owning.

May 2, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #548 of 6,107
The VO are just smoother and more laid-back. Especially in the mids, but all while maintaining detail. The Atrium can get a little peaky in vocals with several artists that I have tried. I've had little luck EQ-ing for that without killing detail for other aspects, but I suspect it was too early due to break-in not being finished. Also, the Cherry Atriums seem to resonate heavily around 75-80Hz if you try to run an elevated Bass shelf. It gets really annoying during break-in, but seems to be mellowing now. Like I said, they continue to change and improve for the most part. I just think the VO suits me personally very well and I doubt the Atrium will become my favorite, but time will tell. I'll likely keep them either way, if for no other reason, listening to records. The brighter mids of the Atrium may never line up as closely to my preferences, but we are talking minor differences here. They are both excellent and worth owning.
What tracks would you say gave you the peaky vocals?

May 2, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #549 of 6,107
May 2, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #550 of 6,107
Laid back, ok....but smoother? What mesh does your set have?
Assuming you have the stock Titan mesh, switching to the solid mesh set might alleviate most of your concerns.

May 2, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #551 of 6,107
Assuming you have the stock Titan mesh, switching to the solid mesh set might alleviate most of your concerns.
That's what I'm thinking.
With the solid mesh, in my system, there's no way that the VO is smoother than the Atrium

May 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #553 of 6,107
May 2, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #555 of 6,107
Is this the same solid mesh that was originally on the Aeolus?
The original aeolus mesh was Bopp mesh - to get a similar sound you'd swap for the perforated titan mesh.
not sure if it's the same, but @zach915m could clarify
Different mesh, stock aeolus currently ships with perforated titan mesh.
Mine have the new mesh. It's my understanding that all of the production sets do by default.
Solid mesh would make them smoother less peaky if that's desired.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back