ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #392 of 6,166
Just received my Atriums today. Even without much time to burn them in I can say that I completely agree with all of the comments regarding how these perform with rock of all kinds. I am listening to alternative, indie and classic rock and loving them. Honestly, many of these tracks have simply not been nearly as enjoyable on my gear as they are now. While I have been learning that no headphone is the best for all genres or tracks, my initial impressions is that these headphones fill a big hole in my previous collection and aren't going anywhere.

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #393 of 6,166
Just received my Atriums today. Even without much time to burn them in I can say that I completely agree with all of the comments regarding how these perform with rock of all kinds. I am listening to alternative, indie and classic rock and loving them. Honestly, many of these tracks have simply not been nearly as enjoyable on my gear as they are now. While I have been learning that no headphone is the best for all genres or tracks, my initial impressions is that these headphones fill a big hole in my previous collection and aren't going anywhere.
Couldn’t agree more.

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #394 of 6,166
There's a slight sense of darkness in the treble as it's a little muted there, but nothing I found as annoying as say the Focal Clear Mg.
That is an apt description of the Atrium's treble. Treble on Verite is noticeably more energetic and present. On tracks that are heavy on cymbals crashes like Black Sabbath's Supernaut this difference in energy between the 2 ZMFs becomes very apparent. This can be somewhat elevated with the perforated titan mesh but it still won't match the Verite's treble presence. It does enough to remove that dark veil in the treble for me and is my preferred mesh. Can also try removing the mesh completely but I feel that may further peak the 5k ish region which already sounded a bit etch to my ears after long sessions for certain voices even with perf mesh on.
The bass attack is not quite as fast or agile as the Verite series, but I do appreciate the lengthier decay and natural sound these present.
Very on point. Not sure if this is due to the innate differences between the the 2 drivers used but the resulting sound produced from this result in a 2 very distinct sound/timbre especially for kick drums and strings. Can't say one is better than the other but the Atrium's decay does sound more natural and has been great for rock. Been listening daily to the new Unlimited Love album and the Atrium is sublime for that album with plenty of bassline and drums tracks such as Aquatic Mouth Dance. The Atrium has done justice to this album and a highly satisfying listen.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #395 of 6,166
Can also try removing the mesh completely but I feel that may further peak the 5k ish region which already sounded a bit etch to my ears after long sessions for certain voices even with perf mesh on.

I removed the mesh, and that 5kish peak was insane. I'd show the measurement to go with it but it will scare people who like to only stare at squiggles. The filter is definitely needed unless you only listen to bass notes. :)

Can't say one is better than the other but the Atrium's decay does sound more natural and has been great for rock. Been listening daily to the new Unlimited Love album and the Atrium is sublime for that album with plenty of bassline and drums tracks such as Aquatic Mouth Dance. The Atrium has done justice to this album and a highly satisfying listen.

Definitely agree. I really like the Atrium with rock music. It's wonderful for this. I spent a good deal of time listening to indie rock, southern rock, and 90s alternative with this on, and have enjoyed the tunes.

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #396 of 6,166
Also:
wife walks in and tries to talk to me...

"wait, you look ridiculous looking. you look like princess leia with cinnamon buns on your head."

continues to laugh hysterically.

"i cant talk to you while you look like that."

walks away... cracking up.

Now I'm definitely buying a pair! :beyersmile:

(not for the princess part but for the 'do not disturb' ability)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #398 of 6,166
Apr 24, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #400 of 6,166
Transition complete: Atrium now feels warmer and more ambient than the Eikon while at the same time having more detail, better instrument separation and of course larger soundstage. This after feeling the Eikon was the most beautiful sounding headphone I've ever had.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #401 of 6,166
See if I can throw some out there. DMX early stuff like ain’t no way, Ruff ryders anthem, where the hood at. Wu tang 36 chambers album any song. Dr. Dre 2001 album. Craig Mack flava in ya ear. Anything from nwa. Eric b and Rakim don’t sweat the technique, I ain’t no joke.
Plenty of impact on the kicks, vocals CRYSTAL clear......samples sometimes sound like someone is scratching records instead of part of the song; not the main parts but side parts.......I actually prefer the contrast between real synths and sampled parts. LOT of distortion on the kick on "Boyz N The Hood" but it's intentional. "Ruff Ryder's Anthem is righteous; lot of sweet panning going on with the background vocals. "Where The Hood At" brings to mind what some were saying about the Atrium and rock: sounds like it was made for it, it's hitting HARDDDDD.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #402 of 6,166
Plenty of impact on the kicks, vocals CRYSTAL clear......samples sometimes sound like someone is scratching records instead of part of the song; not the main parts but side parts.......I actually prefer the contrast between real synths and sampled parts. LOT of distortion on the kick on "Boyz N The Hood" but it's intentional. "Ruff Ryder's Anthem is righteous; lot of sweet panning going on with the background vocals. "Where The Hood At" brings to mind what some were saying about the Atrium and rock: sounds like it was made for it, it's hitting HARDDDDD.
Man making the wait for my atrium tough 🥲

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #403 of 6,166

What was your order number? Mine 8126, the 15th. To know how is going the queue :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back