ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 9, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #106 of 5,967
I personally would find it impossible to keep myself from listening to new headphones. I say listen as they burn-in so you aren’t torturing yourself!
I understand but my interests are elsewhere today and in the meantime the time spent having some material go through might be useful. That Burson balanced connection is a pleasant listen though.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #107 of 5,967
I understand but my interests are elsewhere today and in the meantime the time spent having some material go through might be useful. That Burson balanced connection is a pleasant listen though.
Certainly no harm in burning-in while you’re doing other things. I thought you weren’t going to listen to the headphones at all until you reached some threshold like 100 hours or something.

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #109 of 5,967
Cherry Atrium arrived today. My first ZMF headphone. Running them on an Airmid OTL amp. Only have an hour on them but to my ears they sound amazing.
836326DC-F138-4258-AA86-023CB71A3B8E.jpeg

Attachments

• 052CC30F-10BF-4409-81F0-EA98FE600E19.jpeg
    052CC30F-10BF-4409-81F0-EA98FE600E19.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #111 of 5,967
Fun question (I hope): for those of you who already own an Atrium, if you had to pick one track to show off the Atrium's strengths, which would you pick? And why?

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #112 of 5,967
Fun question (I hope): for those of you who already own an Atrium, if you had to pick one track to show off the Atrium's strengths, which would you pick? And why?
Blood sugar sex magik is one of the first few tracks that made my jaw drop with it’s dynamism and guitar rendition. If you’re not into rock you can also try Coltrane’s opening track on a love supreme album.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #114 of 5,967
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #115 of 5,967
I suggest this Tidal Master track: "Firefly (Acoustic) by Sister Hazel". It is a wonderful rich performance of vocal and acoustic guitar that the Atrium does just right for my taste in music.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #116 of 5,967
Disclaimer, I'm not an audio recording technician of any sort. I just enjoy various types of music and a tool I use to find well done studio work is Foobar's waveform spectrum visual add-in. When it shows sharp definition on the waveform of the track it usually means a nice recording.

A few examples that I like to use when testing dynamic cans:
The Black Keys: Weight of Love/Sister/ (most of their studio work is nice IMO)
The War on Drugs: Thinking of a Place
Still Corners: The Trip/The Message/The Last Exit
Ween: Stay Forever and A Tear for Eddie (for Deaner's guitar jam)
Band of Horses: Detlef Schrempf (test vocals), Country Teen (separates left and right tracks then combines)
Fleet Foxes: Maestranza
Soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans: Trevor Jones Composer; "Main Title/The Kiss and Promontory"
Soundtrack to Gladiator: Hans Zimmer's "Now We Are Free"
And to rock out, Metallica's Here Comes Revenge
On planar headphones I listen to a lot of heavy elektronische from Alpha Matrix and Infacted Recordings from Europe and Alt/Industrial from ArtofFact Records, Canada.
My Atrium order is in and looking forward to their performance when it arrives!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #117 of 5,967
I suggest this Tidal Master track: "Firefly (Acoustic) by Sister Hazel". It is a wonderful rich performance of female vocal and acoustic guitar that the Atrium does just right for my taste in music.
Haha, that’s definitely not a female vocal! It is a nice recording though.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #118 of 5,967
Disclaimer, I'm not an audio recording technician of any sort. I just enjoy various types of music and a tool I use to find well done studio work is Foobar's waveform spectrum visual add-in. When it shows sharp definition on the waveform of the track it is usually means a nice recording.

A few examples that I like to use when testing dynamic cans:
The Black Keys: Weight of Love/Sister/ (most of their studio work is nice IMO)
The War on Drugs: Thinking of a Place
Still Corners: The Trip/The Message/The Last Exit
Ween: Stay Forever and A Tear for Eddie (for Deaner's guitar jam)
Band of Horses: Detlef Schrempf (test vocals), Country Teen (separates left and right tracks then combines)
Fleet Foxes: Maestranza
Soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans: Trevor Jones Composer; "The Kiss and Promontory"
Soundtrack to Gladiator: Hans Zimmer's "Now We Are Free"
And to rock out, Metallica's Here Comes Revenge
On planar headphones I listen to a lot of heavy elektronische from Alpha Matrix and Infacted Recordings from Europe and Alt/Industrial from ArtofFact Records, Canada.
My Atrium order is in and looking forward to their performance when it arrives!
a nice little list of songs

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #119 of 5,967
Cherry Atrium arrived today. My first ZMF headphone. Running them on an Airmid OTL amp. Only have an hour on them but to my ears they sound amazing.
836326DC-F138-4258-AA86-023CB71A3B8E.jpeg
An amp that throws an insane stage+ a headphone that projects an insane stage=staging paradise!

I'm (im)patiently waiting for my Airmid to be built. There will be only four humans on the planet that will be fortunate enough to experience this combination, and you sir, are one of them. Well done!

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #120 of 5,967
Any Atrium owners here take their pair for a spin during a gaming session yet? I'd be willing to bet it'd work quite well for movies/games given its staging and relatively neutral response.

Would be interested to hear any comments for that use case (not that someone would buy these for that as the primary use case.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back