ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 5, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #631 of 6,102
I did not enjoy the GLMK2 with ZMFs at all, but that was pre-Atrium when I had it.
I'm with you, it's not an ideal pairing at all. I wish I had my old Phonitor e. I really enjoyed that amp with the Atticus, and I'm thinking it might be a good match for the Atrium. It's got an overall clean and neutral tone, with tons of power and drive. That was my best solid state amp, but I sold it after moving over to tubes, it got no time and was collecting dust. But for evaluation purposes it would be nice to have...

May 5, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #632 of 6,102
I get terrific sound out of the Arium on the Liquid Carbon v2 & the Monoprice Liquid Carbon X.

Atrium's sound w/the V281 (normally my #1 SS amp) isn't quite as good as on the Cavalli designs. I don't understand that...will have to check the output impedance of all these amps to see if that's a factor.

Still evaluating the sound on my newest amp, the Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. The other day I got more treble than I'm used to w/this headphone, but it sounded really fine despite being a bit more treble than I like. The THR-1 is a super-powerful, somewhat confounding amp. I still haven't nailed down its sound in general...

May 5, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #633 of 6,102
I get terrific sound out of the Arium on the Liquid Carbon v2 & the Monoprice Liquid Carbon X.

Atrium's sound w/the V281 (normally my #1 SS amp) isn't quite as good as on the Cavalli designs. I don't understand that...will have to check the output impedance of all these amps to see if that's a factor.

Still evaluating the sound on my newest amp, the Kinki Studio Vision THR-1. The other day I got more treble than I'm used to w/this headphone, but it sounded really fine despite being a bit more treble than I like. The THR-1 is a super-powerful, somewhat confounding amp. I still haven't nailed down its sound in general...
How many hours on them? Could they still be shifting sound signatures from burn-in?

May 5, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #634 of 6,102
Alright I finally got them in... So far I love them more on my Feliks Echo Mk2 than my Topping A90/D90 stack. The Echo adds extra warmth and and overall more depth to the music with basically every headphone I've thrown at it. Believe in break in or not, the Atrium seems a bit peaky initially although I'm going to burn it in for fun with some pink noise over the next hundred hours. My preferred pad is the Auteur perf suedes by a long shot. They add more weight to the music and soften up the peaks a bit. It's like a super Aeolus now and how it'll stay...These are in the running for my all time favorite and that's compared to the Verite' closed. :)

Attachments

• 279748392_421456362748472_7933628591847645790_n.jpg
    279748392_421456362748472_7933628591847645790_n.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
May 5, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #635 of 6,102
Alright I finally got them in... So far I love them more on my Feliks Echo Mk2 than my Topping A90/D90 stack. The Echo adds extra warmth and and overall more depth to the music with basically every headphone I've thrown at it. Believe in break in or not, the Atrium seems a bit peaky initially although I'm going to burn it in for fun with some pink noise over the next hundred hours. My preferred pad is the Auteur perf suedes by a long shot. They add more weight to the music and soften up the peaks a bit. It's like a super Aeolus now and how it'll stay...These are in the running for my all time favorite and that's compared to the Verite' closed. :)
ZMFs love tubes ime, Really sounding nice on my Elise, thinking about upgrading to a Euforia

May 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #636 of 6,102
How many hours on them? Could they still be shifting sound signatures from burn-in?

They were burned in at least 100 hrs before I got them. I probably have 20-25 more hours on them now.

But you raise an interesting point. It's not likely--but also not inconceivable--that ~125 hrs isn't quite enough burn-in on these.

May 5, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #637 of 6,102
So I see a few of you using the Feliks Echo Mk2, which I am considering as a tube amp for the ZMF Atrium. Currently I am running them off of the Pontus II > Burson Soloist 3X GT... any idea if the Feliks Echo Mk2 would maybe be a better pairing instead of the Soloist?

The only other tube amp I used in the past was the Darkvoice and sold that a year ago or so... it was alright for what I was messing with at the time, but in the end wasn't too impress with that tube amp.

May 5, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #638 of 6,102
But you raise an interesting point. It's not likely--but also not inconceivable--that ~125 hrs isn't quite enough burn-in on these.
I mentioned it in my review but it's worth repeating here, I burned my pair in for close to 175 hours straight with music playing 24/7. It wasnt until I listened to them for another 10-20 hours, and then gave them a 48 hour break that the staging opened up for me.

My pair has the solid Titan mesh, but I never experienced any peakiness

May 5, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #639 of 6,102
So I see a few of you using the Feliks Echo Mk2, which I am considering as a tube amp for the ZMF Atrium. Currently I am running them off of the Pontus II > Burson Soloist 3X GT... any idea if the Feliks Echo Mk2 would maybe be a better pairing instead of the Soloist?

The only other tube amp I used in the past was the Darkvoice and sold that a year ago or so... it was alright for what I was messing with at the time, but in the end wasn't too impress with that tube amp.
ZMF headphones love tube. Its a fact. Way of life. Zmf headphones especially love OTL amps. So the Atrium will definitely sound lovely with the echo. I never owned any burson amp so i dont know what they sound like. I know for a fact that my Zmf cans sound more organic/natural using my Elise OTL than my GSX mini SS.

May 5, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #641 of 6,102
ZMF headphones love tube. Its a fact. Way of life. Zmf headphones especially love OTL amps. So the Atrium will definitely sound lovely with the echo. I never owned any burson amp so i dont know what they sound like. I know for a fact that my Zmf cans sound more organic/natural using my Elise OTL than my GSX mini SS.
All this talk of tubes! I just got my Verite Open and getting my Atrium soon, Bevin emailed me about a week ago saying they're cutting the wood!

I'm currently trying it balanced on my Jotunheim 2 with the Bifrost 2. VO sounds phenomenal on my SS setup! I do plan to pull out the Lyr 3 to try next and see the difference.

The headphone has a great 3d image that I imagine will get better on the Lyr hybrid tube sound and even better on an OTL 👍. I'm likely buying a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball soon to jump into the OTL + ZMF pool 🙂. Just might not get it built all too fast, but excited nonetheless!

May 6, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #645 of 6,102

The Kinki looks really interesting for solid state. I like seeing a high and low z outputs, i just wish i could find what the output impedance is for each jack. nothing from the website unfortunately. How are you liking it with your ZMFs?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back