ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #376 of 5,965
I'd appreciate if someone could point out the sound differences between these and a Fostex TH909. From what I've seen in this thread the Atrium is lush and has a thickly appealing tone and texture whilst the 909 is more accurate and clinical but other than that...?
(yes I'm trying to convince myself I don't need them and I love my Fostex :gs1000smile:)
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone bring up the 909 in this thread, but accurate and clinical is not something I’ve heard anyone say about a Fostex. Others have said the Atrium gets to about 90 or 95% of the Verite Open’s technical performance, so I’d deduce that the Atrium is more accurate than the Fostex, while having fuller bodied sound.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #378 of 5,965
I'd appreciate if someone could point out the sound differences between these and a Fostex TH909. From what I've seen in this thread the Atrium is lush and has a thickly appealing tone and texture whilst the 909 is more accurate and clinical but other than that...?
(yes I'm trying to convince myself I don't need them and I love my Fostex :gs1000smile:)

"Accurate and clinical" don't belong in the same sentence when talking about Fostex headphones, lol :)

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #379 of 5,965
"Accurate and clinical" don't belong in the same sentence when talking about Fostex headphones, lol :)
Have you spent any time with the 909s?
I have both. The 909 is THE dynamic headphone that convinced me that planars were probably not going to take me where I wanted to go. I probably would not own any ZMF headphones if I hadn't tried the Fostex first. They are quite different, but I will try to hit the high points:

The TH909 is more detailed in the high frequencies from what I have heard so far, but my Atrium only have around 25-30 hours on them at this point. The mids are definitely more forward in the Atrium. The bass/low frequencies on the TH909 are a bit fuller and more present, but similar in feel. I think this is a common trait of larger biocell drivers. The one thing that stands out to me, and possibly the most important difference is that the Atrium is sooooo forgiving. The 909 is opposite on that measure in that poor recordings quite possibly sound their worst.

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #381 of 5,965
Have you spent any time with the 909s?

I have both. The 909 is THE dynamic headphone that convinced me that planars were probably not going to take me where I wanted to go. I probably would not own any ZMF headphones if I hadn't tried the Fostex first. They are quite different, but I will try to hit the high points:

The TH909 is more detailed in the high frequencies from what I have heard so far, but my Atrium only have around 25-30 hours on them at this point. The mids are definitely more forward in the Atrium. The bass/low frequencies on the TH909 are a bit fuller and more present, but similar in feel. I think this is a common trait of larger biocell drivers. The one thing that stands out to me, and possibly the most important difference is that the Atrium is sooooo forgiving. The 909 is opposite on that measure in that poor recordings quite possibly sound their worst.

900 and 909 - absolutely. They're fun headphones and bass cannons, which is why people love them :)

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #383 of 5,965
How would you describe their sound then?
These are very picky when it comes to amping, they can go from 'meh' to 'wow' very quick, maybe you've heard them from an unfortunate pairing...?

Wasn't an unfortunate pairing at all. They sounded great when I owned them. In fact, I was thinking of maybe snagging a pair again only because I loved their SQ so much. However, I think I might wait for the Atrium Closed instead :)

Perhaps I'm a bit more spoiled when it comes to accuracy because of the other headphones I've tried. Everything is relative after all

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #384 of 5,965
Never thought it would happen, but I'm retiring my Eikon from active use and I've put it back in the ZMF case, due to the horrible inescapable fact that I have only one head.
Having one head is infinitely better than the alternative.

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #385 of 5,965
The 909 is THE dynamic headphone that convinced me that planars were probably not going to take me where I wanted to go.

Exactly my case.

Thank you for taking the time to make the comparison.

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #386 of 5,965
Apr 23, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #387 of 5,965
Haven't you heard the saying "two heads are better than one"?
I have heard that. 2 points:
  • This aphorism is understood to mean "two people with two heads are better than one"
  • And the person who first said it almost certainly had one head

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #389 of 5,965
20220421_140033.jpg

Checking out a demo ZMF Atrium for a couple days...

This is a nicely tuned set! It has a definitely ZMF sounding mid-range but has more elevated upper-mids which I like, especially when compared to the Verite Open I used to own and how I remember the Aeolus sounding. I'm not sure it's as forward here as the Auteur, but it's been a few years since I heard it.

Generally, I'm finding this headphone to have a warm-overall sound, that sounds very tonally correct for the most part. There's a slight sense of darkness in the treble as it's a little muted there, but nothing I found as annoying as say the Focal Clear Mg. The bass attack is not quite as fast or agile as the Verite series, but I do appreciate the lengthier decay and natural sound these present.

Overall, this could be my favorite ZMF to date, on initial short impressions.

Since there's so many combinations, my impressions have been mostly on the Universe Perforated Leather with Solid Mesh. I also have listened with the Auteur Perforated leather pads as well.

graph (87).png

https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Atrium_(Univ_Perf_Leather_-_Solid_Mesh),Verite_-_BE2

Also:
wife walks in and tries to talk to me...

"wait, you look ridiculous looking. you look like princess leia with cinnamon buns on your head."

continues to laugh hysterically.

"i cant talk to you while you look like that."

walks away... cracking up.

Apr 23, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #390 of 5,965
20220421_140033.jpg

Checking out a demo ZMF Atrium for a couple days...

This is a nicely tuned set! It has a definitely ZMF sounding mid-range but has more elevated upper-mids which I like, especially when compared to the Verite Open I used to own and how I remember the Aeolus sounding. I'm not sure it's as forward here as the Auteur, but it's been a few years since I heard it.

Generally, I'm finding this headphone to have a warm-overall sound, that sounds very tonally correct for the most part. There's a slight sense of darkness in the treble as it's a little muted there, but nothing I found as annoying as say the Focal Clear Mg. The bass attack is not quite as fast or agile as the Verite series, but I do appreciate the lengthier decay and natural sound these present.

Overall, this could be my favorite ZMF to date, on initial short impressions.

Since there's so many combinations, my impressions have been mostly on the Universe Perforated Leather with Solid Mesh. I also have listened with the Auteur Perforated leather pads as well.

graph (87).png

https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Atrium_(Univ_Perf_Leather_-_Solid_Mesh),Verite_-_BE2

Also:
wife walks in and tries to talk to me...

"wait, you look ridiculous looking. you look like princess leia with cinnamon buns on your head."

continues to laugh hysterically.

"i cant talk to you while you look like that."

walks away... cracking up.
The last part of your take on the Atriums is gold 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back