ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #6,138 of 6,717
So, I'm getting the Aeolus in a few hours and I got both the Suede and the Lamp perf UNI pads. I'm already wondering about getting a tube amp, even tho I have zero experience and also I don't ill like troubling myself with tube rolling, etc etc. I'm more of a chill-experience person.
So, what do you guys suggest for a value-oriented, easy to use and forget, budget tube amp? What about the Feliks Echo mk2? Schiit Lyr?

I'm in Europe, so my choice is a bit limited.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #6,139 of 6,717
So, I'm getting the Aeolus in a few hours and I got both the Suede and the Lamp perf UNI pads. I'm already wondering about getting a tube amp, even tho I have zero experience and also I don't ill like troubling myself with tube rolling, etc etc. I'm more of a chill-experience person.
So, what do you guys suggest for a value-oriented, easy to use and forget, budget tube amp? What about the Feliks Echo mk2? Schiit Lyr?

I've primarily listened to the Aeolus on the tube hybrid Liquid Platinum, which is almost always on sale at Monoprice, and it sounds quite nice. (Though TBH I'm planning on replacing it some time next year with a solid state Class A amp to better match my new Hifiman Arya Stealth, probably either the Singxer SA-1 or Burson Soloist.) But another possible option to consider is the Schiit Valhalla 2, a pure OTL tube amp (assuming it is readily available in Europe). It sounds great with the Aeolus and is significantly cheaper than any of the other mentioned alternatives (at least in the US; I don't know what the final delivered price is for you). I'd use if more often, but it's not very practical to have it on my table at the same time as the LP and the Valhalla is not a good match for low impedance planars. Plus, it forces me to swap cables, which I hate to do, since the Valhalla, is SE only and the LP is designed to be used to be used as a balanced amp (it has a SE output for convenience but it is significantly inferior to the XLR output).

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #6,140 of 6,717

The Liquid Platinum was my favorite "affordable" amp with the Aeolus.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #6,141 of 6,717
I've primarily listened to the Aeolus on the tube hybrid Liquid Platinum, which is almost always on sale at Monoprice, and it sounds quite nice. (Though TBH I'm planning on replacing it some time next year with a solid state Class A amp to better match my new Hifiman Arya Stealth, probably either the Singxer SA-1 or Burson Soloist.) But another possible option to consider is the Schiit Valhalla 2, a pure OTL tube amp (assuming it is readily available in Europe). It sounds great with the Aeolus and is significantly cheaper than any of the other mentioned alternatives (at least in the US; I don't know what the final delivered price is for you). I'd use if more often, but it's not very practical to have it on my table at the same time as the LP and the Valhalla is not a good match for low impedance planars^^ Plus, it forces me to swap cables, which I hate to do, since the Valhalla, is SE only and the LP is designed to be used to be used as a balanced amp (it has a SE output for convenience but it is significantly inferior to the XLR output).
^^ Valhalla 2 can work very very well with low impedance planars. The stated output impedance of Valhalla 2 at the low-gain setting is 3.5 ohms; at the high-gain setting, it is 14.0 ohms. Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) runs beautifully off Valhalla 2.
D70190EE-46F4-49FE-8C4C-2C63329CD4A1.jpeg

Dec 21, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #6,142 of 6,717
^^ Valhalla 2 can work very very well with low impedance planars. The stated output impedance of Valhalla 2 at the low-gain setting is 3.5 ohms; at the high-gain setting, it is 14.0 ohms. Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms) runs beautifully off Valhalla 2.
But how much power does it have down there? The Arya Stealth is much easier to drive than previous versions, but it is still significantly less sensitive than the LCD-X. Schiit's website doesn't give a power rating for the Valhalla 2 at any impedance below 300 ohms, which itself is suggestive. (I think it did in the past, but I don't recall what it was.) And since that figure has changed quite a bit over the years, I'm not sure I trust it. (Relying on memory so I may be wrong, I'm pretty sure it was around 1W at 300 ohms when I bought the amp about five years ago. When that figure was subsequently called into doubt, Schiit revised it to 300 mW. Right now, it gives the figure as 600 mW. And while Schiit's typically smart ass product description vaguely states that the Valhalla 2's performance with low impedance headphones might "surprise" you, it does admit that the amp is best used with high impedance Sennheisers and Beyers.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #6,143 of 6,717

From all reports (haven’t heard one personally), the Echo Mk ii should give you exactly what you want. Bonus points that it’s made in and shipped from Poland. I would also generally recommend an OTL over a hybrid amp like the Lyr or Liquid Platinum, mostly due to the high output impedance, but also the circuitry that lets you hear more of the tube experience.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #6,145 of 6,717
I had only a brief listen to the Echo MK2 at Can Jam SoCal and I can't even remember which headphone, but I was very impressed with it, especially for the price. It was a real stand out for me of the whole show.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #6,146 of 6,717
Listening to my favourite Morcheeba album with the Aeolus on my Ares/Elise combo and I'm in audio heaven. The sound coming out of this pairing is just out of this world. Now I know why I missed the Aeolus so much ever since I sold my last pair. Never again ! These are staying with me for good this time.IMG-2596.jpg

I really like your Dragon Ship.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #6,147 of 6,717
Listening to the Aeolus this morning via the Woo WA2. ZMF and Woo Audio is a great pairing.

I swapped my pads for the first time today --> using an original version Aeolus perforated lambskin pad.

To be honest, for my preferences, think I prefer the newer Universal Perforated Suede over these.... The original pad is certainly pleasant - but it's more forward - almost to the point where I keep thinking about my Auteur, but not as resolving (of course). To my ear....feels like the pad is trying to lure the Aeolus to a place it naturally doesn't want to go :thinking:

Right now, everything is presenting a bit more like a bold(er) cup of coffee ...wondering where the hot chocolate went.... finding myself confused (not hard to do).

Everything still sounds great - it is the Aeolus after all -- such personal preferences out on the edges of the "pad swapping" game.

Think I'm heading back to the Suede....

IMG_1750.jpeg

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #6,148 of 6,717
So the Aeolus arrived yesterday, gotta say I'm pretty impressed and surprised. I expected (or I may say... feared?) something way less detailed and refined, sound wise.

So many people online dismiss ZMF headphones as not worth their weight, like they were all about the premium feeling and the the idea of hand crafting. I think this headphone really has its place in his market segment, and not only for the build, warranty and comfort.

They sound full bodied and warm, but not dark or veiled (like the Audio Technics ATH-R70x). What blew me away was the soundstage combined with the detail retrieval of the mids. Really loved them on reverbs and echoes with less heavy rock music (like Radiohead's In Rainbows), they sound amazingly natural and life-like. The Beatles also were pretty great with them.

I'll post something more detailed in the next few days, but man... what a great headphone!

Along with the Arya SE, it makes you forget you are wearing an headphone. The Arya SE just is more consistent with more music genres.

EDIT: Do you guys thinks the Echo MK2 would word with planars like the Arya SE too?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #6,149 of 6,717

Hey, dunno if anyone mentioned this, but there is a whole thread of tube amps for zmf in the amp section. There might be some great recommendations there as well. For myself, the Aeolus was very enjoyable on the otl crackatwoa and the powerful bigger Ben. I didn’t like it as much on the Bottlehead Mainline as the other two.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #6,150 of 6,717
Right now, everything is presenting a bit more like a bold(er) cup of coffee ...wondering where the hot chocolate went....
This is such a good analogy! It’s definitely more closed in, in your face, and intense. Personally, I hated the OG Aeolus pads until I had a more neutral tube amp. Then I found the sweetness of that the Universe Suede pads had on a warmer setup was replaced with a harsh treble and thin sound. The Aeolus pads bring that sweetness back for me, but also, quite unexpectedly, make the timbre and tonality of the headphone better than I ever heard it before. Everything just feels “right,” though I’m aware this has just as much to do with my source chain than it does with the pads I’m using.
EDIT: Do you guys thinks the Echo MK2 would word with planars like the Arya SE too?
Wouldn’t recommend it for the Arya, but it could be fun to plug them in from time to time. I would expect the bass to be a bit loose and bloomy, and for the speed and precision of the headphone to suffer. The timbre would almost certainly improve though. If you want a good cheap tube amp for the Arya, I’ve heard great things about the xDuoo MT-604. It’s a hybrid amp, so you’ll definitely have a more planar-friendly sound. Until you get into more higher end tube amps, you won’t find ones that really play well with both planars and dynamics IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back