ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 17, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #5,836 of 6,614
Would anyone be able to assist me in identifying the unknown ZMF pads in the pictures? I currently have the Uni Suede Perf Pads on my Aeolus and was looking for some other options. My local dealer has 2 pairs in stock but was only able to identify the BE2 pads.
Any ideas?
I think it is an Auteur lambskin. I have an extra pair to compare to the pictures.

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #5,837 of 6,614
Aug 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,838 of 6,614
Seems we can call this solved then. Auteur pads it is. Thanks for the help.
Will have to order a pair of OG Aeolus pads to go with the universe suede my Aeolus came with. Considering getting the Verite perf leather as well. That way I can get all the flavors of aeolus.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #5,839 of 6,614
Those are auteur pads on the left, not the ideal pad for Aeolus, but nothing against them if you like them.

Weird that the dealer doesn't have the stock universe pads to use with them?
Thanks for confirming Zach. I think there was a mixup when the dealer placed my order as they arrived in South Africa with only the perf uni suede pads fitted and solid suede uni pads as extra. The solid suede uni pads dont really work with the aeolus.

My original order with the dealer was aeolus with suede headband and stock leather pads and uni suede + verite leather as extra.

I'm working with the dealer to try and get the OG aeolus + verite pads in.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #5,840 of 6,614
Seems we can call this solved then. Auteur pads it is. Thanks for the help.
Will have to order a pair of OG Aeolus pads to go with the universe suede my Aeolus came with. Considering getting the Verite perf leather as well. That way I can get all the flavors of aeolus.
Good choice! For my listening preferences the OG Aeolus pads are my favorites. Check the classified section on this forum. I've seen a couple of sets of OG Aeolus pads for sale very recently.

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #5,841 of 6,614
@zach915m would likely have the best idea, but @heliosphann has an uncanny knack at IDing them too. Gun to my head, I agree with @Mattyjm looks like Uni to me.
measuring them might be useful; at first glance that looks like uni lambskin? I might be wrong
Measuring is always a good option. I had to bust out the digital caliper a few times before I got all my ZMF pads organized.

Ok, back to pad swapping on the Auteur Classic... :wink:

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #5,842 of 6,614
Reading about all the pad minutiae, I’m wondering if I’m missing out. I ordered my Aeolus with just the Uni Suede pads and have no complaints or burning desire to switch. Based on my impression of general consensus, if I experimented with every other available pad, I’d most likely end up right back wher I started. Something in lamb skin might be nice for a different feel though.

I think my inexperience is partly to blame. I tend to accept things as presented without many preconceptions. It seems like some people are constantly chasing a sound they heard once in a dream long ago. They can’t always describe it, but they’ll know it when they hear it, maybe.

Aug 17, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #5,843 of 6,614
Reading about all the pad minutiae, I’m wondering if I’m missing out. I ordered my Aeolus with just the Uni Suede pads and have no complaints or burning desire to switch. Based on my impression of general consensus, if I experimented with every other available pad, I’d most likely end up right back wher I started. Something in lamb skin might be nice for a different feel though.

I think my inexperience is partly to blame. I tend to accept things as presented without many preconceptions. It seems like some people are constantly chasing a sound they heard once in a dream long ago. They can’t always describe it, but they’ll know it when they hear it, maybe.
You never know until you try. Based off everything I read I thought the Universe Suede pads would be my pad of choice also. Turns out I prefer the OG Aeolus perforated lambskin pads by a good margin.

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #5,844 of 6,614

"if I experimented with every other available pad, I’d most likely end up right back where I started." (so true)

You've been around long enough (on earth, I mean) for your ears to be very experienced. Pay attention to what your ears tell you when you hear something. As Duke Ellington famously said (about music): "If it sounds good, it is good."

PS: Suede universe pads are my faves on the Aeolus. As soon as I heard them, that was it for me.

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #5,845 of 6,614
I don't listen to my blackwood Aeolus as often as I used to, but whenever I do (like right now), the same thing happens:
  • I put them on & promptly go on a music appreciation rampage
  • I lose track of time
  • I find myself jumping from one genre (say, guitar blues) to another as far away from it as possible, always thinking, "Can this headphone possibly nail it on both genres?" Always the answer is yes
Specifics*: Just followed a tasty Matt Schofield live blues cut (spectacular Telecaster playing) with Anna Netrebko & Elīna Garanča singing the duet, "Barcarolle" from Offenbach's "Les Contes d'Hoffmann." The Aeolus hit them both right out of the park.

I can't imagine a more musical headphone than this...

*Audio GD R2R-11 MK2 DAC; Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2 amp

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #5,846 of 6,614
You never know until you try. Based off everything I read I thought the Universe Suede pads would be my pad of choice also. Turns out I prefer the OG Aeolus perforated lambskin pads by a good margin.
I was looking at one pair before they sold. I had mentioned earlier that the aeolus was the only ZMF i've heard where I preferred the lambskin pads over the suede. I'm curious how I'd like the OG pads. I should have pulled the trigger, but I'd just purchased a pair of uni suedes to try and was loathe to go pad crazy.

Aug 17, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #5,847 of 6,614
Turns out I prefer the OG Aeolus perforated lambskin pads by a good margin.
☑️ My experienced-based three rules about ZMF headphones / earpads:
1. Perforated earpads with open-back h/p, solid earpads with closed-back h/p.
2. Original / stock earpads with h/p — regardless of h/p.
3. When curiosity strikes, go with 1. and 2.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #5,848 of 6,614

I have both sets of pads. The OG doesn't get a look in. But it's nice to have both to swap around now and then, makes it a whole new headphone for the low low cost of some earpads.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #5,849 of 6,614
I’ll probably get a lamb skin Uni or Be to try on the Aeolus eventually. Maybe when I buy my next set of ZMF. Have to see if I’ve saved up enough nickels by November.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #5,850 of 6,614
Since we are on the topic on pads, are Uni Suede or Uni Lambskin better in terms of comfort (read: temperature-wise)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back