ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #5,296 of 6,695
Aeolus + ZMF silver cable + V281 + MHDT Labs Orchid DAC + Scary Goldings (Larry Goldings + Scary Pockets) = I can't stop listening...

(if an asteroid hit the house I might stop)

+1 for Aeolus + MHDT Orchid :beerchug:

Just rolled a new CV4108 🎶

IMG_1844.jpeg
IMG_1843.jpeg

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #5,297 of 6,695
Aeolus + ZMF silver cable + V281 + MHDT Labs Orchid DAC + Scary Goldings (Larry Goldings + Scary Pockets) = I can't stop listening...

(if an asteroid hit the house I might stop)
Don't look up!

I just received my Aeolus, listening now through my V280 ... I'm so pleased with what I'm hearing..
balanced cable is on order..This will be a great complement to my HD800S :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5,298 of 6,695
+1 for Aeolus + MHDT Orchid :beerchug:

Just rolled a new CV4108 🎶

IMG_1844.jpegIMG_1843.jpeg
By "new" do you mean NOS? If yes, that's an expensive tube. How does it sound?

I'm using a Mullard CV5331 (military/ECC189)...also expensive (and great-sounding). My back-up NOS tube for the Orchid is the somewhat less expensive WE396jw tube.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,299 of 6,695
Is it just me or do the Aeolus stock pads sound the most spacious? I believe the best pairing of soundstage and detail I found was with a more dryer/analytical amp (the Yggy GS in my case) and a warmer amp like the LP. Do you guys think wood choice affects the soundstage/imaging of these at all? I had the Aeolus in Mahogany and it sounded warmer than the stock Sapele.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #5,300 of 6,695
By "new" do you mean NOS? If yes, that's an expensive tube. How does it sound?

I'm using a Mullard CV5331 (military/ECC189)...also expensive (and great-sounding). My back-up NOS tube for the Orchid is the somewhat less expensive WE396jw tube.

Yes, my CV4108 is NOS and also "new" to my collection. I love it... the best I've rolled thus far in Orchid. I just ordered a back-up since we should always have back-ups :wink: Check out my post on page 41 (#614) of the MHDT Labs thread...I wrote a short blurb on how it sounds.

Additionally, I've got the following (inbound)...excited to try these as well with Orchid --> Burson Soloist 3XP --> Aeolus et, al.

Mullard E88CC-01 / CV2493 --> Enroute / In Mail

Mullard (Holland) E188CC --> Enroute / In Mail

Telefunken E88CC --> Enroute / In Mail

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #5,301 of 6,695
Yes, my CV4108 is NOS and also "new" to my collection. I love it... the best I've rolled thus far in Orchid. I just ordered a back-up since we should always have back-ups :wink: Check out my post on page 41 (#614) of the MHDT Labs thread...I wrote a short blurb on how it sounds.

Additionally, I've got the following (inbound)...excited to try these as well with Orchid --> Burson Soloist 3XP --> Aeolus et, al.

Mullard E88CC-01 / CV2493 --> Enroute / In Mail

Mullard (Holland) E188CC --> Enroute / In Mail

Telefunken E88CC --> Enroute / In Mail
Thanks for this add'l info!

If I was ever subscribed to that MHDT thread, somehow I became unsubcribed. I'm correcting that right now.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5,304 of 6,695
Look at Eufonika tube amps for ZMF cans. For the price they offer, I don't know if there's any competition out there. For Aeolus, I have no higher recommendation. If I could choose just one set to have for the rest of time, I'd take the Aeolus with perf suedes and Eufonika H5.

Especially the Aeolus and Eufonika H5 with a Psvane CV181-T-MII MarkII Serie 6SN7 tube had a remarkable effect that I've never observed elsewhere. Listening to some especially well-made music with this combination had an euphoric effect that made me rate my daily avg pain as I believe at 5/10, instead of rating it avg 8/10 with being able to listen to no music at all now. It was so effective that I was able to skip some of my opioid pain med doses some days for the first time ever. Even the pain mgmt doc and pain psychologist were impressed by the effect, seemingly changing the perception of pain and strenghtening the analgesic properties of the underlying pain medication. Music can be great, ya'll.

The euphoria also extended to a strong mood-improving and anti-anxiety effect, countering the effects of prolonged covid isolation in a remarkable way. All-in-all it's the only combination that has had such capabilities. I genuinely think the Psvane tube made a big difference with the Aeolus too.

Still got the amp, and though it's amazing it's just sat on my shelf without use, not having any other hps to use it on. I haven't had enough energy to find a buyer either, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to pack it up with the state of my hands. I just covered it with a cloth, I don't wanna see it reminding me of what used to be. Always wanted to see if a T1.2, DT1990 or any HD600-series hps - or other ZMF cans - responded similarly to how the Aeolus did.

I tried the combo with stock Aeolus pads too and found it didn't quite hit the same receptors, however it was a super slammy, fun sound. Worth a try for sure, and just different enough to keep things interesting!

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,305 of 6,695
Listening to Mozart string quintet K614..I'm so impressed by the tonality of this headphone, even 'just' out of my RME ADI-2 ..
The timbre, weight of tone is what I love about the Aeolus, guess I miss that sometimes on my HD800S

B R I L L I A N T !
Yes, the Aeolus is excellent for just sitting back and enjoying the music.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #5,306 of 6,695
Just bought a Cocobolo. Pretty excited to have an Aeolus back in my collection. This'll be the third one I've owned and hopefully the last.

I'll post pics when I get them.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,308 of 6,695
Just bought a Cocobolo. Pretty excited to have an Aeolus back in my collection. This'll be the third one I've owned and hopefully the last.

I love Cocobolo wood! Cannot wait to see your Aeolus photos.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,309 of 6,695
I love Cocobolo wood! Cannot wait to see your Aeolus photos.
Thanks. I've had Riftswan Bubinga and Mango wood in the past but always loved the Cocobolo's.

Talking to Bevin earlier this week they won't have another LTD run until the Spring so I didn't want to wait that long.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #5,310 of 6,695

I’ve had two in my collection and I’ve thought about getting another one myself. Currently waiting on a pair of LCD 4s to get in to compare against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back