ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,967 of 6,615
The Aeolus is such an amazing headphone. Everytime, I put it on my head, it never fail to please me with its euphoric mids and nice timbre. It may not be as detailed, speedy and holographic as my Verite but it has other desired attributes of sonic properties that powers my musical enjoyment. Sometimes, less can be more, if that makes sense.

Aeolus - the headphone I will never sell, ever.

Well said

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,968 of 6,615
I regret selling mine thinking the VC would be my "endgame" headphones. I now have the VC and the Atticus, but I have to admit that I really miss the Aeolus.
Every time I see comments like this I'm more and more appreciative of my Aeolus. They're not perfect, but sometimes just so damn special. Makes me realize how hard it can be, especially in this hobby, to fully appreciate what I have.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,969 of 6,615
Every time I see comments like this I'm more and more appreciative of my Aeolus. They're not perfect, but sometimes just so damn special. Makes me realize how hard it can be, especially in this hobby, to fully appreciate what I have.

I agree with you, the Aeolus are really special headphones. The VC are better than the Aeolus technically, but they don't engage me like the Aeolus with certain genres of music.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #4,970 of 6,615
I regret selling mine thinking the VC would be my "endgame" headphones. I now have the VC and the Atticus, but I have to admit that I really miss the Aeolus.
I'm on the fence whether to get the auteur or aeolus again to accompany the VC.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #4,972 of 6,615
Totally in my honeymoon phase with my Auteurs now, since they do vocals unlike anything I’ve ever heard. They’re also a fairly neutral headphone if that’s something you’re looking for. But there’s a magic with the Aeolus I think trumps it in some ways.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #4,973 of 6,615
I had a recent episode of sub-optimal listening period when I sent in my Norne Draug 3 cable for re-termination of connectors. It makes me appreciate that cable even more when I got it back.

Sometimes, we get to appreciate something even more when we lose it; whether permanent or temporary. And I do not want to have that experience of regret with my Aeolus for sure.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #4,974 of 6,615
I own both cans and love them equally. If you are truly like vocal and mids, the Aeolus give you a euphoric sound and very unique timbre that no other cans can duplicate. Technically, on the other hand the Auteur is better for listening to live performance, because they are clearer, holographic and give a 3 dimensions that make you feel that you are at the concert.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #4,975 of 6,615
Think it depends on whether you like your music to be more neutral(Auteur) or with mids accentuation(Aeolus). Although the mids esp. vocals in Auteur is often said to be more forward vs Aeolus.

If you’re familiar with the classic Sennheiser range, then an analogy of sound signature will be:
HD600 -> Auteur
HD650 -> Aeolus

Note: This is only a comparison; does not mean they sound the same; not at all. Otherwise, I would not have sold my HD650. Also, the beauty of ZMF headphones is the ability to finetune the sound to one’s liking through pad rolling; which am sure you already know.

Think both can be great compliment to VC.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #4,977 of 6,615
Sometimes, we get to appreciate something even more when we lose it; whether permanent or temporary.
…so let’s all be careful with our listening dBs and get the ears checked / cleaned regularly…

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,979 of 6,615
Has anyone tried the Auteur perforated leather pads on the Aeolus? I would love to know how that sounds.
Yes, I commented on this a little while ago, although I didn’t specify they were there perforated leather pads. Auteur pads open up the stage a bit and share similar tonality to stock leather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back