ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,606 of 6,720
Does anyone have a portable setup that they find works well with the Aeolus?
I'm using a BTR5 when I'm outside in the garden. I'm totally satisfied with it. Not desktop level performance but for the size of the device, the functions, the simplicity and all that, being able to take phone calls and stuff like that, it's the best solution for my needs. Also bluetooth so I just keep it in my pocket and phone is wire free. Battery lasts me up to 6-7 hours with medium volume usage

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #4,608 of 6,720
I’m curious if anyone has tried an Aeolus with:
- Dragonfly Cobalt
I use an Eikon with my dragonfly red sometimes. It works, it doesn't sound bad. I don't feel like the Eikon is missing any of its characteristics with this set up. I prefer my desktop amp/dac of course, but I still enjoy the music!

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,609 of 6,720
4 months into my Aeolus journey. I have an Bifrost 2, feliks espressivo and ifi micro idsd BL for listening while wandering around at home. I‘m looking to buy an SS amp to pair with my Aeolus as the Espressivo brings a bit to much mid boost that‘s not needed for the Aeolus. What would be a good match for Aeolus + bifrost 2? I have looked at singxer sa1, burson soloist and jotunheim 2 (8 weeks wait!). I do like my Ifi BL but the Ifi Pro Ican is a bit over my budget.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,610 of 6,720
4 months into my Aeolus journey. I have an Bifrost 2, feliks espressivo and ifi micro idsd BL for listening while wandering around at home. I‘m looking to buy an SS amp to pair with my Aeolus as the Espressivo brings a bit to much mid boost that‘s not needed for the Aeolus. What would be a good match for Aeolus + bifrost 2? I have looked at singxer sa1, burson soloist and jotunheim 2 (8 weeks wait!). I do like my Ifi BL but the Ifi Pro Ican is a bit over my budget.
Other than what you mentioned maybe the Rebel Amp

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #4,611 of 6,720

I use Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2 with my Aeolus and I think it's a great setup. I haven't tried the other amps you mentioned.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,612 of 6,720
I’m curious if anyone has tried an Aeolus with:
- Dragonfly Cobalt
- Hidizs S9
- lower tier Xduoo amps (MT-602, etc)

Budget somewhat constrained so trying to use what I have, or spend a minimum to start with. Thanks!

I used my blackwood Aeolus w/the Xduoo TA-20 for awhile ~6 months ago. That little amp worked well with all my headphones, even the Ori (which surprised me).

Like most hybrids, the tubes add some flavor, but don't overtly control the overall sound (ie, bass & damping are quite good).

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #4,614 of 6,720
I used my blackwood Aeolus w/the Xduoo TA-20 for awhile ~6 months ago. That little amp worked well with all my headphones, even the Ori (which surprised me).

Like most hybrids, the tubes add some flavor, but don't overtly control the overall sound (ie, bass & damping are quite good).

Yesssss, I can say RIGHT NOW i got the TA 20 rocking a couple of Genalex Gold Lion's and Aeolus is LOVING this amp. I do have a small subbass adjustment at 55 hz (7 db) when I'm using Roon because I got so used to Aeolus on my Loki, lmao.

I'm a treble head and a subbass head so naturally Eikon is my BAY for life and Autuer is my mistress but Aeolus is carving out a place in my heart as well :) :)

Thanks to this thread for all the info. Couldn't have made the decisions I made without you all, even though I was just lurking and didn't post.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #4,616 of 6,720
Dude im not joking. I didn't know I could do this at all. You literally just changed my ****ing life. Thank you so much.

Cool bro!!

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4,617 of 6,720
Hey guys. I recently placed my order on a pair of Aeolus. I have a good solid state amp but I want to taste some of that tube sound too. The problem is I don't have much budget left. What is the cheapest tube amp/buffer that you'd recommend? (Under 250$) OTL or Hybrid.
I've heard good things about xDuoo amps and also Little Dot.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #4,618 of 6,720
Hey guys. I recently placed my order on a pair of Aeolus. I have a good solid state amp but I want to taste some of that tube sound too. The problem is I don't have much budget left. What is the cheapest tube amp/buffer that you'd recommend? (Under 250$) OTL or Hybrid.
My first option would normally be the Schiit Valhalla, but it's $349. Other possibilities are Schiit Vali ($149) and Cavalli Tube Hybrid from Drop (not in stock right now, but I think it's around $249 when it's available).

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,619 of 6,720
Listening to the Aeolus with the Verite pads based on a rec' from above... interesting...crisp, clear, clean....yet has emotion (granted I'm listening on my RME ADI-2DAC and BHC+SB)… interesting comb0 *insert sly grin here*

This is an intense listen with the Verite pads... I think I prefer the Suede pads... but I can see where these would be a compelling combo...especially for acoustic... can get a little "crisp" "bright" but for treble/neutral heads I can see a very big appeal for this combo...the highs are very present. Male Vocals are especially forward. But damn if this track doesn't sound phenomenal: *

almost brings the Aeolus up to the 3D-ness of the Verites!

*caveat using Qobuz Studio streaming while listening to this posting YouTube video so more people can hear the track :wink:

Edit: threw the suedes back on...and yup this is my happy place :wink:

Hey Tyler. Which of the Verite pads are you using? Lambskin or Suede? Thanks in advance.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #4,620 of 6,720
I was in this position and you know what I did? Bought a cheap valve preamplifier from eBay with tone controls and changed the stock valves with some Russian valves. Total cost about 50 pounds. is connected to my thx and I call it the fun stack. I have also a very good valve amplifier but this cheap option will give you a taste, you don’t have to break the bank and you can utilise it with your existing amp.

Attachments

• FB4D6470-9F7C-4FE5-B6D4-2E51B5DD24C4.jpeg
    FB4D6470-9F7C-4FE5-B6D4-2E51B5DD24C4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back