ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 26, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,561 of 6,720
Bizarre. I turned off all my EQ (except for the BL's X-Bass toggle, because god damn it's good) out of curiosity due to the brightness talk and kinda got stuck listening like this for the rest of the day. And when I say stuck I mean I've been listening to music for the vast majority of the last 7 hours. These sound ****ing good all of a sudden? Don't get me wrong, they sounded good without EQ too, but now I straight up prefer and love these without the EQ settings all of a sudden?

I don't understand what's happened - slow brain burn in? - but I'm obviously extremely happy lol.
Excellent, brain burn in makes such a difference. Even your mood at the time can play a huge part.

May 26, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4,562 of 6,720
Say, for instance, the bottlehead crack with speedball?

I managed to snag a pair of LCD-MX4's for $1600 on eBay. I will hopefully be building a crack and A/B'ing the MX4 with magnius modius and the aeolus + tubes to see what I like best.

I should curb what I'm about to say and acknowledge that my input is from research only and I haven't had the chance to hear my Aeolus out of tubes, so I guess essentially useless my info is haha. BUT from what I gather something like a Bottlhead Crack w/ Speedball or a Felis Echo (just using two warm tube amps here as an example) might be too tubey for an Aeolus. Ideally you want to look for a tube with solid state characteristics for the Aeolus, you get the black background and extra stage from a tube amplifier with s/s characteristics without over bloating the already thick Aeolus FR. Something like a Haggerman Tuba, DNA, ZMF Pendant or SW51+. I went with a Bifrost 2 and SW51+, we will see when it arrives.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4,563 of 6,720
I should curb what I'm about to say and acknowledge that my input is from research only and I haven't had the chance to hear my Aeolus out of tubes, so I guess essentially useless my info is haha. BUT from what I gather something like a Bottlhead Crack w/ Speedball or a Felis Echo (just using two warm tube amps here as an example) might be too tubey for an Aeolus. Ideally you want to look for a tube with solid state characteristics for the Aeolus, you get the black background and extra stage from a tube amplifier with s/s characteristics without over bloating the already thick Aeolus FR. Something like a Haggerman Tuba, DNA, ZMF Pendant or SW51+. I went with a Bifrost 2 and SW51+, we will see when it arrives.
I have a Quicksilver on order which you could add to that list

May 26, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #4,564 of 6,720
Ideally you want to look for a tube with solid state characteristics for the Aeolus, you get the black background and extra stage from a tube amplifier with s/s characteristics without over bloating the already thick Aeolus FR.
The Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ3 (zero hysteresis output transformer-less) headphone amplifier will fit this use...

May 27, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #4,565 of 6,720
Excellent, brain burn in makes such a difference. Even your mood at the time can play a huge part.

It's honestly nuts how much your perception of music can change over the course of weeks and months without even realizing it yourself. I wasn't particularly planning any of this, but it's pretty cool to know that I can learn to love a slightly more neutral sound, too. Makes my life easier when I don't need EQ, too.

Reminds me of someone on reddit who got the... Beyerdynamics DT880, I think? And hated the sound signature, but had to stick with it cause they couldn't afford another pair or something. Years later they realized they'd learned to love the sound and had a hard time enjoying music in a way that wasn't piercingly bright, haha.

Kinda makes me wonder if I could be into something like the Verite Closed, too. My wallet is screaming as I type this so for now and the foreseeable future the answer to that has to be "we'll never know".

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,566 of 6,720
Just jumping in to say, the BHC with Speedball is stellar with the Aeolus, and is not too tubey with the right tubes and DAC. Also, this combo sounds especially good with the Universe Suede Perf. pads.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,567 of 6,720
Thank you Bevin for the fresh Aeolus pads
PXL_20210527_143046228~2.jpg

May 27, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #4,568 of 6,720
Just jumping in to say, the BHC with Speedball is stellar with the Aeolus, and is not too tubey with the right tubes and DAC. Also, this combo sounds especially good with the Universe Suede Perf. pads.
I actually have the LTD Lagoon version that came with the universe suede pads, BE2 leather, and stock aeolus pads. Just bought the crack w/ speedball for with some unknown upgraded capacitors and "Stock power and input tubes + (2) 1952 Sylvania 6SN7, Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, Valvo E80CC, 5998 Tung-Sol power tube, (2) 6SN7 to 12AX7 adapters and one 6F8G/6C8G adapter," $645 for everything.

I'd be using the Schiit Modius as a dac for now, and I will test it with the Fiio BTR5 that I ordered for portable use as well. I think I might be on the camp of "I can't hear the difference between DAC's" honestly but I am going to do some more A/B testing to find out for sure.

I really don't know anything about tubes, this is my entry. I have no idea what tube rolling will do and all that so feel free to give advice :)

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,569 of 6,720
I'm curious if anyone has used an Aeolus for gaming? I have an Audeze Penrose that's pretty good, but has an unusual frequency response (even after EQ). I'm interested in folks' experiences plugging it into a PS5 controller. Would it sound good? Would it need more power?

May 27, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #4,570 of 6,720
I'm curious if anyone has used an Aeolus for gaming? I have an Audeze Penrose that's pretty good, but has an unusual frequency response (even after EQ). I'm interested in folks' experiences plugging it into a PS5 controller. Would it sound good? Would it need more power?
I don't think a PS5 controller could power the Aeolus, it's a 300 ohm headphone. For gaming, I think I personally would stick to Audeze and consider the LCD-GX

May 27, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,571 of 6,720
Hey Guys,
i am using a Verite open and i wanted to buy a second ZMF, what do you think is the best complement? Aeolus? Atticus?
Best Regarts
KlaraKlang

May 27, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,572 of 6,720
I'm going to sound crazy in this post. I own the Aeolus and adore it, it absolutely couldn't be powered by a controller so it's not a great option for you. Also I'm not sure it's quite right for gaming. I've tried around 35 different headphones in the past 12 months, ranging from £60 up to £1,200. So believe the craziness I'm about to spout...

Today I had a Philips SHP9500 delivered from AliExpress (£60 total to UK). I used it a short while ago and was left a bit dumbstruck. For £60 it's without doubt the best price to performance headphone I've ever heard. It's superb for gaming as well, just attach a vmoda boom-mic pro for game chat and you're good to go. It's also easily driven by a controller.

I'm so dumbstruck by the quality of the sound, I'm thinking of selling my Sennheiser HD600 and Grado GH2, as I honestly believe the SHP sounds almost as good for considerably less money.

There, I said it. I recommended a £60 headphone in a £1,200 headphone forum. Taxi for one please...

May 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,574 of 6,720
Hey Guys,
i am using a Verite open and i wanted to buy a second ZMF, what do you think is the best complement? Aeolus? Atticus?
Best Regarts
KlaraKlang
Having had them all, I'd say Atticus and Auteur are the most different, and the Aeolus is the least (aside from the VC of course). My Auteur gets as much use as my Verites.

May 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #4,575 of 6,720
but the auteur is the most neutral one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back