ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 22, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,531 of 6,722
Perfect. So it sounds like, if I’m trying to connect to a 2.5mm balanced DAC, I would buy a 4 pin XLR male to 2.5mm balanced male.
That sounds about right. If you're ordering from ZMF, just email @zach915m and @BooUrns I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

May 22, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,532 of 6,722
May 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,533 of 6,722
Perfect. So it sounds like, if I’m trying to connect to a 2.5mm balanced DAC, I would buy a 4 pin XLR male to 2.5mm balanced male.

just keep in mind the XLR connectors are big and bulky. So an XLR to 2.5mm adapter may put a lot of weight on the 2.5 mm connection. You may want to consider getting a 2.5 mm cable, and then an adapter from 2.5mm female to XLR male.

May 23, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #4,534 of 6,722
If you're spending Onyx kind of money, then I'd seriously consider a Chord Mojo. You can get them for excellent prices used on ebay. You'll get more bang for your buck and it can be used with your desktop as well. The IFI xDSD and IFI xCan are also great options for portability, the xDSD being good for desktop use as well (the xCan is bluetooth focused but sounds great for the money).

I've never tried the Aeolus with devices as small as the Onyx, I'm not sure if it could provide the power you need.
The THX Onyx easily powers ZMFs, in fact it also easily powers my Abyss Diana v2, which are much harder to drive. The crazy part is that there are dongles that are a lot more powerful than the Onyx.

First, entry level solid state amps got good, next, it’s the dongles.

May 24, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #4,537 of 6,722
Another question, and let me preface this by saying graphs and single reviewers shouldn't be the basis of judgement, yada yada....

I keep up with crinacle's graph database, and on it, he notes Aeolus to be 'bright neutral' (w/ univ suede pads). Most other reviewers, however, note the Aeolus to be smooth, and perhaps even lacking a bit of treble energy. I am quite treble sensitive myself. Does anyone find the Aeolus to be subjectively bright?

May 24, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4,538 of 6,722
Another question, and let me preface this by saying graphs and single reviewers shouldn't be the basis of judgement, yada yada....

I keep up with crinacle's graph database, and on it, he notes Aeolus to be 'bright neutral' (w/ univ suede pads). Most other reviewers, however, note the Aeolus to be smooth, and perhaps even lacking a bit of treble energy. I am quite treble sensitive myself. Does anyone find the Aeolus to be subjectively bright?

Short answer: No. I am very treble-sensitive and I find the Aeolus to be a wonderful headphone. I use the standard pads - by changing pads you change the sound slightly.

May 24, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #4,539 of 6,722
Short answer: No. I am very treble-sensitive and I find the Aeolus to be a wonderful headphone. I use the standard pads - by changing pads you change the sound slightly.
Thank you very very much. I became a bit worried, thinking I'd splurged $1k+ on a bright headphone! (I really don't like bright headphones). Thanks for clarifying.

May 24, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #4,540 of 6,722

There is a bit of treble energy somewhere in the Aeolus FR. It's just a touch, less than my HD 600 when comparing. I haven't spent much time with the universe suede pads, so can't really comment much on that, I listen mostly with stock pads. It's enough to give the music a good amount of dynamics, but smooth enough to listen to for hours.

May 24, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,541 of 6,722

Not a bright headphone at all, stock pads are warmer, the universe suede are more neutral but still warm.

I can't use bright headphones. The Aeolus are my end game.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,543 of 6,722

IIRC there's a little extra energy around 6k-7k but nothing I've found bothersome at all. I doubt you'll have an issue.
I do suggest you burn it in before making any decisions about the sound as I've found it does change a bit, of course YMMV

May 24, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #4,545 of 6,722
there's a little extra energy around 6k-7k
Yes, experienced this on my sapele review unit. This is the only peak across essentially the entire FR, but it is minor at around 3 dB or less to my ears.

For the warmest-tilted possible setup I believe the original Aeolus perf leather pads will do the trick. As I understand it, the universe perf leather are stock now and have less of the midbass hump than the Aeolus pads, but I haven't heard these specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back