ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 13, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #4,456 of 6,696
ZMF copilot attached to the leather strap has been the most comfortable so far
Same for me.

I started with the VO Silk Wood, Magnesium chassis, leather headband and leather strap at about 425 gr. I then changed to the aluminium chassis because I did not like the paint peeling off and added the co-pilot over the leather band. So this added up to 500 gr but together with the suede pads it feels super comfortable and no problem at all. My HD 800s is significantly lighter but clearly less comfortable, specifically I don't like the headband which is too loose and has to be adjusted all the time.

May 13, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #4,457 of 6,696
I've switched back to the leather headband. I find it more comfortable for my head than the suede headband. I thought it would be the other way around but apparently the Suede band creates a hotspot on top of my head and just hurts. I lived with it for about 2 weeks, it had loosened up a bit but last night after switching to the leather one, comfort improved 2 times. What do you guys prefer ? Slim leather headband, Padded Suede or the big Pilot strap ?
I've got a suede pilot pass but never use it, it's comfortable but too warm for me personally. I use the slim leather headband. I can wear them all day, there's not many other headphones I can say that about.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #4,458 of 6,696
I love my Aeolus and the only thing I don’t like is the headband. All the adjustments it takes, to get it alighted, equally distributing the clamp force etc. If it is not the worst then one of the worst headbands I’ve come across. Surely ZMF can do better on that aspect since so many headphone manufacturers can provide excellent headbands. One that comes in mind is the headband from Meze Empyrean.

May 13, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #4,459 of 6,696
ZMF headband was the best I had in ages… it worked great for me when I had the Auteur. 🤷🏽‍♂️

edit: Meze headband may be comfortable, but I think is horrible. I like Sennheiser’s. :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #4,460 of 6,696
I love my Aeolus and the only thing I don’t like is the headband. All the adjustments it takes, to get it alighted, equally distributing the clamp force etc. If it is not the worst then one of the worst headbands I’ve come across. Surely ZMF can do better on that aspect since so many headphone manufacturers can provide excellent headbands. One that comes in mind is the headband from Meze Empyrean.
Oh yes the Meze Empy headband. Super comfortable. I had the opportunity to listen to a few tracks on it in a store last year and while I can't remember anything about the sound, I can still feel them on my head. Next in line for me are Audeze headbands. Again, very comfortable. Then comes the ZMF headband which doesn't have the same delicate feel as the ones mentioned before but they are still very comfy and spread weight evenly on my head. I bought the Suede strap thinking that it adds some kind of cushioning but to my surprise it creates this weird hotspot on the very top of my head where the headphones rest. My hair hurts after 30 mins or so. Weird

May 13, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #4,463 of 6,696
LP is 50% off occasionally, right? It's definitely the one amp along with Little Dot Mk III I'd be interested in trying with my Aeolus, but that's some day in the future.

I think the last time was during Black Friday. $499 is a steal for the performance you are getting from this amp with the Aeolus.

May 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4,465 of 6,696
May 13, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #4,468 of 6,696
That's a great deal! The Aeolus sounds fabulous with the Liquid Platinum.
And if you want even greater performance by the Liquid Platinum, look into capacitor swaps / substitutions by fellow Head-Fier @ksorota. He worked on mine 👍👍.

May 14, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #4,469 of 6,696
Hey all, I’m looking into the Aeolus as an upgrade from my HD650’s, and a side-grade to my IEM’s (64Audio A12T’s). Overall, my preference has been warm and lush, with an emphasis on sub-bass and mids, and avoiding sibilance. Even found Campfire Andromeda’s a bit too bright. Love my A12T’s, but I do wish they had a little more bite in the treble.

- Do you think the Aeolus would be a good fit for my sonic preferences?
- Money is a bit tight… is there a reasonably priced portable amp/DAC that would be worthy of the Aeolus? Most listening out of iPhone->Tidal, and I’m frequently on the move.

Thanks so much. I’ve noted this particular forum seems as laid back as the headphones! Y’all are chill, it’s great.

May 14, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #4,470 of 6,696
- Do you think the Aeolus would be a good fit for my sonic preferences?
- Money is a bit tight… is there a reasonably priced portable amp/DAC that would be worthy of the Aeolus?
Definitely!
iFi Micro Black ($400 or less used)
Atticus is another option and $100 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back