ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 8, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #4,426 of 6,717
That will depend on what you are looking for in terms of sound signature.
I definetely like a warmer sound. Not muffled or veiled in any form. I have today a Topping E30 dac which will pair with the new amplifier, but that dac can be upgraded in the future. One important feature the amplifier MUST have is pre oout so it can power my active Heco speakers.

May 8, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4,427 of 6,717
I definetely like a warmer sound. Not muffled or veiled in any form. I have today a Topping E30 dac which will pair with the new amplifier, but that dac can be upgraded in the future. One important feature the amplifier MUST have is pre oout so it can power my active Heco speakers.
Budget and are you pairing only with the Aeolus?

May 8, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,428 of 6,717
If you're not looking to spend crazy money but get a great performing amp then the Jotunheim or Jotunheim 2 is excellent value for money. Tends to have a warmer edge.

May 9, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #4,430 of 6,717
How does one order ZMF headphones in different woods? Would love an Aeolus in a Dark Wood with silver rings.

edit: Just emailed ZMF.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #4,431 of 6,717
How does one order ZMF headphones in different woods? Would love an Aeolus in a Dark Wood with silver rings.

edit: Just emailed ZMF.
Just a little tip, if you email him he might have some in his "storage". Most of the time you have to order them when they are available. Sometimes there isnt any to be sold cause they are sold out LMAO. If you dont care about the headphones being pretty, you can order B-STOCK and it just changes the cosmetic. I asked him myself and he confirmed B stock sounds just as good as the standard one in the store. Good luck with finding your Aeolus.

May 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #4,434 of 6,717
On my fifth week as well. Waiting on my amp as well. Hopefully they come at the same time:)

I ordered mine on 3/3 and it was shipped last week so it took just over 9 weeks.

Fedex is taking another week to deliver from Chicago to Seattle, that's another story.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,435 of 6,717
Mine jumped from assembly mail, then it took some weeks and I got tracking in the mail. ZMF probably send out the mails manually, wait time for my Aeolus was well worth it for me :D

May 11, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,436 of 6,717
Aeolus is high priority right now - if you ordered 5 to 10 weeks ago you'll be getting update emails soon and we are working hard in your set.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 12, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #4,438 of 6,717
Anyone here attached one of those ModMic base clasps on their Aeolus? I'm wondering if it would stick to the grille, should be reasonably invisible there since the clasp and the grille are both black metal.
I can't see any reason it wouldn't stick. I used to have a modmic, not while I've had my Aeolus, but the 3M VHB tape is excellent for most surfaces.

May 12, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #4,439 of 6,717
How would owners of the Aeolus (who also own 6xx/650) compare the Aeolus with the 6xx in terms of resolution/detail? I adore the 6xx sound but am very drawn to the Aeolus in terms of its versatility (hear great things about the range of pad rolling between the Universe, stock, and Verite pads) and shear warm fun.

Would be powering with the Lake People G111 (and Bifrost 2), and am eyeing one of the Feliks amps - Echo mk II most likely...

May 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #4,440 of 6,717
My Aeolus in Cocobolo is an upgrade in every way to the Sennheiser. I owned a Sennheiser hd600 and hd660s before and sold both.
My gear changed with time but I would say resolution, detail, stage and timbre is much better with the aeolus.
I love the synergy with my Feliks Euforia AE with NU 6sn7gt / tung sol 5998 tubes. So smooth and pleasing.
Pad rolling is also fun, I have universe suedes as my favourite but also the vérité pads are very nice for a change. Vérité pads improve resolution noticibly.

I recommend to buy the aeolus in harder limited wood especially if you use it with a high output impedance Feliks OTL amp. The direct sound of the harder wood is an upgrade to my ears. The OTL gives some Cup reverb back.

I also have the vérité open in ironwood and I still love to listen to my Aeolus for it's pleasing FR. It's the best headphone for my music taste (metal)

You will not regret buying the Aeolus it's worth every dollar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back