ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 5, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #4,396 of 6,717
Definitely a bittersweet feeling when you've found something you're perfectly happy with. But there's no need to completely block off these things. Just stay active in things like this thread, or any news you feel is relevant to you. As for the "best chi-fi headphone ever...must buy" (clearly a shill) overhype youtube channels... I stopped watching those a while ago. We all know who that is. But healthy discussion about the headphones you own, with people who have the same interest as you? Great place to be.

Oh yeah, absolutely - talking about stuff you're interested in with other, like-minded folks is of course always fun. It's just that I know myself and my tendency to wander into other threads, reading about this amazing amp or this awesome DAC or whatever and getting this urge to just.. buy stuff. It's not that I'm unhappy with what I've got, I just want more. It might seem a bit dramatic or unnecessarily final, but ignoring something completely tends to work out better for me.

May 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #4,397 of 6,717
Oh yeah, absolutely - talking about stuff you're interested in with other, like-minded folks is of course always fun. It's just that I know myself and my tendency to wander into other threads, reading about this amazing amp or this awesome DAC or whatever and getting this urge to just.. buy stuff. It's not that I'm unhappy with what I've got, I just want more. It might seem a bit dramatic or unnecessarily final, but ignoring something completely tends to work out better for me.
I hear ya man! When I am in saving mode, I try to stay away from the forum, as I am always tempted by the latest and greatest piece of gear. However, I have recently completed my "Endgame System", so I am back and really enjoy talking with like-minded folks about the gear I love.

May 5, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,399 of 6,717
Anyone tried the Aeolus with the Feliks Audio Echo or the Echo mkII?

May 5, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #4,400 of 6,717
May 5, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,401 of 6,717
So my Tor Audio Roger finally came... The wait was much shorter than expected, ordered Feb 15 and arriving May 5, rather than their original August delivery. I had them add a voltage switch as I travel a lot and want the option to be able to change the voltage on the unit, and they were able to add that for me.

I have a thing for wood crafted pieces like the ZMF's, and the finish is very nice and solid.

Absolutely enhances the Aeolus' already chocolate velvety sound, almost giving another layer of richness. My first tube amp so wasn't sure what to expect, but hopefully I haven't just jumped into a rabbit hole I can't get out of. Also pairs extremely well with my HD650's, but still the Aeolus cannot be beat...

nFdT5xK.jpg
HG6ddFV.jpg
That is one beautiful amp...I've never heard of them. Let us know how you like it!

May 5, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,403 of 6,717
That is one beautiful amp...I've never heard of them. Let us know how you like it!
Thanks. I'm completely new to the tube scene and was deciding between the Bottlehead Crack and the TOR Audio Roger.

TOR Audio are one of the very few companies that use toroidal audio transformers, and the reason they take so long to make is because each toroidal transformer is hand wound by a small team. Some argue that toroidal transformers are superior to EI transformers, but I'm too new to the tube scene to really know or give any knowledgable opinions at this point. To me the fact that the entire unit is hand made with love by a bunch of Ukrainian sound engineers is enough to make me try their product as an entry into the tube world.

Before I got this unit I was mainly running my Aeolus directly through my iFi iDSD Signature, or sometimes fed through to the SMSL SP200 which is also great, but of course like everyone else here we are always in search of the next thing that will make that sound a touch better or different to our tastes...

https://toraudio.com/main.html#

1Tz0NSu.jpg

Including a pic with the Aeolus to ensure I'm staying on topic! 😂

A few reviews here:

"the Honest Audiophile"

"Z Reviews"

May 6, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #4,405 of 6,717
Thanks. I'm completely new to the tube scene and was deciding between the Bottlehead Crack and the TOR Audio Roger.

TOR Audio are one of the very few companies that use toroidal audio transformers, and the reason they take so long to make is because each toroidal transformer is hand wound by a small team. Some argue that toroidal transformers are superior to EI transformers, but I'm too new to the tube scene to really know or give any knowledgable opinions at this point. To me the fact that the entire unit is hand made with love by a bunch of Ukrainian sound engineers is enough to make me try their product as an entry into the tube world.

Before I got this unit I was mainly running my Aeolus directly through my iFi iDSD Signature, or sometimes fed through to the SMSL SP200 which is also great, but of course like everyone else here we are always in search of the next thing that will make that sound a touch better or different to our tastes...

https://toraudio.com/main.html#

1Tz0NSu.jpg

Including a pic with the Aeolus to ensure I'm staying on topic! 😂

A few reviews here:

"the Honest Audiophile"

"Z Reviews"

Your Aeolus is gorgeous! Interesting amp as well. I’d love to see a comparison between the Bottlehead Crack and the TOR audio… are there any out there?

May 6, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #4,407 of 6,717
I have and found the amp boring and muffled. I wasn’t impressed at all following all the hype about these amps. At the end I opted for a Audio Valve RKV HAA.
Something must have been very wrong if you found it muffled. As it is one of the least muffled otl amps out there 🤔

May 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #4,409 of 6,717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back