ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #3,751 of 6,720
Can any Aeolus owners provide some thoughts on DAC/AMP matching for the heapdhone?
For the money, you really can't go wrong with a Schiit Bifrost 2, IMO. I really appreciate that it's easily upgradeable into the future with the new modular design. It also just sounds very natural to me. I too am not a big delta sigma guy.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #3,752 of 6,720
For the money, you really can't go wrong with a Schiit Bifrost 2, IMO. I really appreciate that it's easily upgradeable into the future with the new modular design. It also just sounds very natural to me. I too am not a big delta sigma guy.

Ok cool. What type of amp match is best for the Aeolus then? I would think OTL tube, but maybe a more neutral tube? Something very tubey might make the Aeolus sound sludgy?

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,753 of 6,720
Ok cool. What type of amp match is best for the Aeolus then? I would think OTL tube, but maybe a more neutral tube? Something very tubey might make the Aeolus sound sludgy?
If you consider not going with tube, i strongly recommend to give the burson combo, composer 3xp and soloist 3xp an audition. i am totally loving it.

Attachments

• 154DD736-F46C-45F5-AD0B-941333BE48C0.jpeg
    154DD736-F46C-45F5-AD0B-941333BE48C0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #3,757 of 6,720
If I get the Bifrost 2, another $700 left in my budget. No DIY unfortunately, don't mind paying someone, just a bit too busy to take on a project. Got a long list of house stuff I need to get to, taking up all my DIY time, haha.
Bifrost 2 / Tuba gets my vote. Or a pre-owned Mjolnir 2. Bifrost can stack on top of the left side of Mj2.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #3,758 of 6,720
Can any Aeolus owners provide some thoughts on DAC/AMP matching for the heapdhone? What should I consider when shopping for a DAC / AMP? I got about a $1,400 setup to build somethig around the Aeolus. It will be pluggd into my PC via USB. I don't have a ton of room on my desk. I could fit a Schiit Gungnir stack (not saying I'd go with this, but just size reference). But couldn't fit a Gungnit with a Hagerman Tuba next to it (not saying I'd go with this either, but size reference ya know). Someting like a Schiit medium stack would fit well.

I just ask for thoughts on synergy. As I don't like much the super neutral delta sigma dac setups, so I'm a firm beiliever in building a setup with considerations of what the DAC and AMP do to the sound, then consider how it will fit the headphone.

Schiit Bifrost and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum would be a very nice combo.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #3,761 of 6,720
Tuba has me interested because they will ship to me for free. That's about an instant $150 savings on the total.
Just got it myself last week or so. No longer have the Aeolus, but it's excellent with all the other ZMFs even with stock tubes. Trying about 10 others to find a bit more bass, which I only find lacking in direct comparison to my favorite tubes in the iFi Pro iCAN.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #3,762 of 6,720
Bifrost 2 is an excellent dac choice at that price and I agree with other thoughts here that something like the Tuba or Bottlehead Crack would be great options at your price point. If you wanted to save a few bucks the Valhalla 2 is worth a look as well. There's no doubt that OTL and other amps with high impedance outputs pair beautifully with the ZMF phones.

I just realized that the Denafrips Ares II is within your price range as well, I'd check that out as a dac option as well.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,763 of 6,720
Hey guys!
Anybody tried the aeolus with the cayin n3 pro?
Yes. The N3Pro don't have enough power to drive the Aeolus to satisfaction, imho. Even from the 4.4mm balanced port, it doesn't sound terrible, just flat and blah. Bass suffers the most.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #3,765 of 6,720
Hey!

So i have finally decided to buy the Aeolus after being able to demo them and the Auteur. I have a budget of 1000€ ( About 1000 USD) for an Amp & Dac. I have a pair of Philips X2 and Mrspeakers Mad Dogs (Alpha pads). I would really like a combo that would work with all 3 headphones and i have been looking at the Bifrost and Lyr 3. But that combo is out of my budget on its own without the shipping and import costs (25% added). Does anyone know a good european combo? I have been looking at the Feliks Echo (OTL) but i don't think it will play nice with orthodynamic or low impedence headphones. I have also been thinking about buying the Asgard 3 + Modius and then get an OTL amp separately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back