ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,792 of 6,720
Day 3 and I am now absolutely loving the sound of the Aeolus... a couple of hours the first day, managed a few solid hours last night (single malt powered!) and few meetings at work today mean I’m getting some good time in whilst getting bored in PowerPoint!

I’ve not been a big believer in burn-in, and it could be that I’m getting used to the sound, but it sure seems to me as though I’m getting a bit more bass punch and overall “tighter“ sound (If that’s the right term) and the slight piecing of one of the mid range frequencies is gone. I’m interested to see how things develop.

I just need to deal with this metal filter that’s flexing and producing an annoying pop in the right ear cup from time to time.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,793 of 6,720
I think I might have my holy grail of comfort here. The perf suede pads are just incredibly nice. My only slight gripe is how my comfort strap is either a little too long or too stretched out, as my head seems to hit the actual headband more and more (I have a friend who's strap doesn't do this and there's a lot more space left between the strap and headband, so I assume mine just got stretched a lot somehow). It's a real shame, as without that minor issue, these would be literal perfection to me. I've kept the strap out of the way when hanging them on the stand, so that shouldn't be the reason for this.

Would @zach915m have a suggestion or solution for this? I thought of making new holes for the strap, but I don't know if that'd be a good idea as I don't have the tools to work leather, plus the strap seems pretty stretched around the connection points. I'm sort of scared I'll ruin it and be stuck with nothing. Do I need to, like, order a new strap? I assume changing it wouldn't be too difficult. I previously figured I'd like a suede strap, but didn't see any straps for sale back then. It's not a huge deal at all, but fixing it would make 'em literally perfect comfort wise.

On a completely different note, I gotta give ZMF some serious credit. I had big expectations when I made the decision to switch from years of big Audeze and Hifiman planars to ZMF dynamics, but honestly I've still been blown away. Not only by the products, but how the company does things. They haven't lost that passion we all have, or sold their souls on the corporate altar - instead they genuinely seem to care about us customers, and the community as a whole. That's a pretty big deal, and not something that should be taken for granted. Things like their genuine and warm community interaction, and the way they go about their warranty make them a rare gem in our world. Please never change!

I hesitate to call the Aeolus my "endgame" for one reason - I plan on getting more ZMF headphones to add my little collection. I just got to hear a Verite C and Eikon, and I don't think I can not have them in my life to complement the lovely Aeolus. It'll take a while until I can make the purchase with how things are now, but good things are worth waiting for! On top of that, I feel ZMF have earned my loyalty at this point, and I definitely want to support them in the future.

The three options are:

1. New Strap.

2. Suede strap.

3. ZMF Co-Pilot Pad (goes on instead of the strap): https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/copilot

My personal choice is usually the Leather Strap, but for those whose at size is 7 and 1/4 and below the suede strap works great, in this case it sounds like the suede strap or a new Leather Strap would work.

I will work on getting the suede strap and leather strap for sale on the website, but you can email us to grab one as well.

Installation is here:

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,794 of 6,720
I don't want to start bending stuff just to realize I screwed up the perfect fit they have for me. If nothing else works, I'll try to get a local leather worker to make a new strap for me. Whatever the case may be, I'll wait for @zach915m to weigh in before I decide what to do.
But it’s not a perfect fit? Rest assured the headband highly malleable. You can bend the crap out of it at no consequence.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,796 of 6,720
Going live with my Impressions of the ZMF Aeolus at 1230pm PST if anyone is interested... I usually aim to be on for about 15-20min but might go up to 30min with enough live chat engagement =)

Really diggin the show man!

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,797 of 6,720
Really diggin the show man!
Thanks, brotha!! Amazing what being stuck at home can get you to do lol... I just really enjoy interacting with everyone and talking with the community...I'm not the most "technical" person... but I enjoy this hobby a lot. Plus, it is fun to share my experiences with others in an open format =) We are all on this wonderful audio adventure together after all :wink:

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2,798 of 6,720
Going live with my Impressions of the ZMF Aeolus at 1230pm PST if anyone is interested... I usually aim to be on for about 15-20min but might go up to 30min with enough live chat engagement =)

Your gorgeous Aeolus inspired me to fit the pilot pad I had to my Verité. So damn comfortable and I love the extra beefy look it gives it!

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,799 of 6,720
Your gorgeous Aeolus inspired me to fit the pilot pad I had to my Verité. So damn comfortable and I love the extra beefy look it gives it!

Yeah, I hadn't thought of fitting the pilot pad on the comfort strap, didn't think it was even a possibility - that's friggin' genius! I need to get one of those suede pilot pads once I can fit one in the budget.

I had a pair of LCD-2C's here for the day, and it's shocking how much more comfortable the Aeolus is. The weight isn't all that different, but the LCD-2C feels much, much heavier. The design seems similar, but the 2C is unstable as all heck while the Aeolus is rock solid.

I think the importance of the headband design is underrated. It's hard to get right and easy to get badly wrong, and it effects the entire listening experience. Seeing as how even major headphone manufacturers struggle to get it right, I'm shocked that ZMF scored a home run right away. It would be interesting to hear how @zach915m went about the design process - was it a case of looking at other designs to see what works and what doesn't? Did the design always include a comfort strap? ZMF dynamics are pretty heavy headphones but something in the design seems to divide the weight in a way that makes them feel much lighter - was that always a priority when designing the system?

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to ask a million questions, but I find it super interesting! The idea of designing and building a range of headphones from scratch seems like a daunting task to me.

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,800 of 6,720
Yeah, I hadn't thought of fitting the pilot pad on the comfort strap, didn't think it was even a possibility - that's friggin' genius! I need to get one of those suede pilot pads once I can fit one in the budget.

I had a pair of LCD-2C's here for the day, and it's shocking how much more comfortable the Aeolus is. The weight isn't all that different, but the LCD-2C feels much, much heavier. The design seems similar, but the 2C is unstable as all heck while the Aeolus is rock solid.

I think the importance of the headband design is underrated. It's hard to get right and easy to get badly wrong, and it effects the entire listening experience. Seeing as how even major headphone manufacturers struggle to get it right, I'm shocked that ZMF scored a home run right away. It would be interesting to hear how @zach915m went about the design process - was it a case of looking at other designs to see what works and what doesn't? Did the design always include a comfort strap? ZMF dynamics are pretty heavy headphones but something in the design seems to divide the weight in a way that makes them feel much lighter - was that always a priority when designing the system?

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to ask a million questions, but I find it super interesting! The idea of designing and building a range of headphones from scratch seems like a daunting task to me.
Yeah it’s great and I think you really miss out if you don’t experiment with adjusting it to fit your head perfectly. I thought it was crazy too to apply so much force to your precious new friend but Zach’s video demonstration is great and easy to follow. He really goes at it to demonstrate you have nothing to worry about at all!

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,801 of 6,720
Glad I could bring some inspiration to you! I find it super comfy this way as well!! @smoothb0re maybe I can convince @zach915m to come back on the show to discuss this :wink:

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,802 of 6,720
Hey everyone! I'll be co-hosting with Resolve on the Headphone show today with special guest ZMF @zach915m and @BooUrns !! two live interviews with them in a week!! I must be breaking some kind of record :wink: I am a lucky guy to get to hang out with them again for sure!!! The show will be live at 2pmPST here is the link

cross-posting so people can see and join the live chat if able! =)

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #2,803 of 6,720
Got suede?
20200628_083712.jpg

So, after over a year of ownership and a serious love affair with the stock sound with Aelous pads, it is finally time to see what is on the other side with the U. Perf Suede pads. This is gonna be a fun day! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,804 of 6,720
Got suede?
20200628_083712.jpg

So, after over a year of ownership and a serious love affair with the stock sound with Aelous pads, it is finally time to see what is on the other side with the U. Perf Suede pads. This is gonna be a fun day! :o2smile:
Just to echo what others have said. . .the suede perf. are legit! The euphonic mids are to die for, and I am not missing anything else. Sure, the bass quantity went down a bit, but the magic in mids make up for it. The air and clarity around instruments and vocals went up a notch, and the overall sound has more ease to it, with better transparency. The change was not huge, but just enough for a different flavor or mood. It has only been an hour after my first pad roll, and I am addicted, and just ordered a pair of Universe Leather Perf, to have another option. Hybrid pads are next. . .

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,805 of 6,720
Got suede?
20200628_083712.jpg

Interesting! Maybe I should order a pair - I do enjoy my Atticus with the vegan pads. Just to make sure that I order the right one (from the multitudes of pads available on the ZMF site) you're referring to the ZMF Universe Pads with the ZMF Suede - Perforated covering, correct? Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back