ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #2,071 of 6,692
I'm somewhat apprehensive about my Aeolus order. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more excited to have finally ordered the headphones I've been dreaming of owning but one thing is stressing me out. The weight. I ordered the Aeolus Blackwood LTD which, from what I've gathered, adds a particularly unique tone making it one of the best sounding versions of the Aeolus LTD (supposed to be Zack's favourite) and they look amazing. The issue is that African Blackwood is one of the heaviest wood ZMF uses. The Aeolus Blackwood LTD weights 550g to 580g (subtract 34g for the magnesium chassis). Thing is, a few years back, I suffered a spinal cord injury when I dove headfirst in a pool and hit the bottom, breaking two vertebras in my neck leaving me partially quadriplegic. Needless to say, my neck isn't as strong as it should be and I can at times suffer from fatigue. For example, I lasted about 30 minutes with a set of LCD-2 on my head. I did pay for the magnesium chassis upgrade to bring the weight down. I was ok with my choice until they came out with the Aeolus Camphor Burl LTD which are one of the lightest wood, they that sounds great (of course, they're ZMF) and look amazing. My worst nightmare would be to finally receive my long-awaited ZMF headphones and my neck can't take the load. The Blackwood signature is right in my sweet spot (unsurpassed speed, tonal density, clarity, and fluidity *Not my words*) but an endgame that you can't wear longer than 15 minutes is a bit disappointing. Or should I go with Camphor 'cause Aeolus sound is Aeolus sound and its a safe bet on the weight issue? What do you think?

Aeolus Blackwood LTD 550g-580g, Subtract 34 g for Magnesium
Aeolus Camphor LTD 420-450g, Subtract 34 g for Magnesium

LCD-2 (+/- 600g): Couldn't wear them more than 30 minutes
ModHouse Argons MKIII with ZMF Protein Pads (420g) : No problem
Sennheiser HD6xx (260g): Feather-weight

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2,072 of 6,692
... The issue is that African Blackwood is one of the heaviest wood ZMF uses. The Aeolus Blackwood LTD weights 550g to 580g (subtract 34g for the magnesium chassis). Thing is, a few years back, I suffered a spinal cord injury when I dove headfirst in a pool and hit the bottom, breaking two vertebras in my neck leaving me partially quadriplegic. Needless to say, my neck isn't as strong as it should be and I can at times suffer from fatigue. For example, I lasted about 30 minutes with a set of LCD-2 on my head.

Or should I go with Camphor 'cause Aeolus sound is Aeolus sound and its a safe bet on the weight issue? What do you think?
Well, a few things. The ZMF headband system is vastly superior to the LCD-2. I think Audeze went out of their way to make it look extremely comfortable, but didn't actually try them on to make sure they were.

With that said, I'd love to be able to say one way or another, but I don't think anyone can with any degree of certainty. With someone without neck issues, I'd be saying it's not a problem.

For someone with neck issues... I'm no Doctor man. Sorry.

I think your best bet would be to communicate your concerns to Zach and see what he thinks.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #2,073 of 6,692
Aeolus Blackwood LTD 550g-580g, Subtract 34 g for Magnesium
Aeolus Camphor LTD 420-450g, Subtract 34 g for Magnesium

LCD-2 (+/- 600g): Couldn't wear them more than 30 minutes
ModHouse Argons MKIII with ZMF Protein Pads (420g) : No problem
Sennheiser HD6xx (260g): Feather-weight

Reading the weight comparison, I feel like I pretty much answered my question.

Does anyone know how the camphor cup tone compares with the blackwood?

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #2,074 of 6,692
Well, a few things. The ZMF headband system is vastly superior to the LCD-2. I think Audeze went out of their way to make it look extremely comfortable, but didn't actually try them on to make sure they were.

With that said, I'd love to be able to say one way or another, but I don't think anyone can with any degree of certainty. With someone without neck issues, I'd be saying it's not a problem.

For someone with neck issues... I'm no Doctor man. Sorry.

I think your best bet would be to communicate your concerns to Zach and see what he thinks.

Thank, it's probably the best way to go. Thanks for the help

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,075 of 6,692
For what's worth, I sold my LCD-2C's (550g) because they were not only heavy, but uncomfortable. I have zero problems with the Focal Elex's which weigh in at a stated 450g, and don't expect the Aeolus LTD in Camphor Burl to give me any issues either. I'm convinced it's not just the weight of the Audeze's, but their poor headband design that makes them uncomfortable.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,076 of 6,692
For what's worth, I sold my LCD-2C's (550g) because they were not only heavy, but uncomfortable. I have zero problems with the Focal Elex's which weigh in at a stated 450g, and don't expect the Aeolus LTD in Camphor Burl to give me any issues either. I'm convinced it's not just the weight of the Audeze's, but their poor headband design that makes them uncomfortable.

I think it’s a combination of the comfort and weight, but also the size. The LCD2’s are massive. All of those reasons are why I got rid of mine. I use headphones mostly at my computer, and it just wasn’t a good experience.

That being said, I still haven’t gotten my Blackwood Aeolus yet, so it’ll be interesting. I do question if the density of the wood could really add 100g+ of weight from the other compositions though. Especially when there isn’t a heck of a whole lot being used thanks to the open-back design.

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,077 of 6,692
Does anyone know how the camphor cup tone compares with the blackwood?
I believe Zach himself admitted that the difference between woods, sonically, is very small.
I would suggest to contact Zach directly (PM or e-mail) and ask him - he would provide an honest answer :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,078 of 6,692
I believe Zach himself admitted that the difference between woods, sonically, is very small.
I would suggest to contact Zach directly (PM or e-mail) and ask him - he would provide an honest answer :)
I've heard a bunch of different woods across all the ZMF headphones, and an Eikon always sounded like an Eikon, a Verite like a Verite, an Aeolus like an Aeolus, etc. What changed upon closer listening between woods was a sense of attack or decay, sometimes reverberation, but in essence they stayed the same tonally. So yes, I would say the changes are small, but I definitely prefer the harder woods for the slightly faster and snappy sound.

If you want tonal FR changes, pad swapping is what you're after, not changing wood type.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,079 of 6,692
an endgame that you can't wear longer than 15 minutes is a bit disappointing

My vote (for whatever it is worth) is to try to avoid this situation as much as possible. I weighed my Aeolus recently and it's 425 grams (the stock Sapele wood). I appreciate having 125 fewer grams of weight than the LCD2C, especially after several hours (which you are almost guaranteed to want to spend listening to the Aeolus :)). ZMF's headband may make them more comfortable than other designs, but in the end, it can't eliminate the mass that is pressing down against your vertebrae. If I had cervical spinal column issues I'd want the weight as low as I could possibly get it.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #2,080 of 6,692
New on this forum so apologies if my question has been covered previously, I simply couldn’t imagine reading through 138 pages to find out.
The Aeolus is on my radar and top of my wish list. I have had Audeze LCD XCs for about 3 years and have been more than satisfied with them but I have wanted to go back to open back for a while.
Has anyone listened to both and can offer a comparison of strengths/weaknesses?
Whilst my music tastes vary, give me Pink Floyd/Dire Straits/Supertramp as my steak and potato, with indie/singer songwriter/acoustic as my red wine and cheese board

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,081 of 6,692
My vote (for whatever it is worth) is to try to avoid this situation as much as possible. I weighed my Aeolus recently and it's 425 grams (the stock Sapele wood). I appreciate having 125 fewer grams of weight than the LCD2C, especially after several hours (which you are almost guaranteed to want to spend listening to the Aeolus :)). ZMF's headband may make them more comfortable than other designs, but in the end, it can't eliminate the mass that is pressing down against your vertebrae. If I had cervical spinal column issues I'd want the weight as low as I could possibly get it.

Well, I spoke with Bevin over at ZMF and he said what was the obvious solution to my issue. He said that the little difference in tone that the wood option wood (hehehe) bring is outweighed (hehehe) by the comfort I'd get with a lighter cup material, especially with my neck issues during long listening sessions. So I switched my order for the Aeolus LTD African Blackwood to the Camphor Burl.

Thanks for taking the time to make me realize what was right in front of me

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,082 of 6,692
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #2,083 of 6,692
Dec 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,084 of 6,692
Well, I spoke with Bevin over at ZMF and he said what was the obvious solution to my issue. He said that the little difference in tone that the wood option wood (hehehe) bring is outweighed (hehehe) by the comfort I'd get with a lighter cup material, especially with my neck issues during long listening sessions. So I switched my order for the Aeolus LTD African Blackwood to the Camphor Burl.

Thanks for taking the time to make me realize what was right in front of me

I think this is a good decision. And if you don't like the Aeolus in Camphor Burl (after sufficient burn in and a long enough trial of course), I'm sure you could sell them on the sales forum in about 5 min :smile_phones:.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #2,085 of 6,692
At least others can listen to theirs, mine need to be sent back in again and won't be checked out till after the holiday. /shrugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back