ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,441 of 6,615
Jun 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,442 of 6,615
but they both are keepers, and pair extremely well, with the Aeolus. I will report back, with more comparisons, after I spend some more time, with the BHC. I am at a point in this hobby, where I am really getting some amazing sound, and I am having a blast, with all my gear.

Nicely put. Thanks for your valuable data point of amp pairing!

By the way, which pads do you mostly use with Aeolus? My Aeolus experience is largely divided into "with fun pads" and "with serious pads". I might prefer different amp parings for each group.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,443 of 6,615
Nicely put. Thanks for your valuable data point of amp pairing!

By the way, which pads do you mostly use with Aeolus? My Aeolus experience is largely divided into "with fun pads" and "with serious pads". I might prefer different amp parings for each group.
I use the stock perf leather pads, and have not changed them. I have not had the desire to do so at all, and at this point, I am still a basshead at heart, that prefers a fun signature. However, I do have the suede perf pads, and think I might use them someday, way down the road. I love the idea of having options, and how diverse this headphone can be. Seems like getting a 2 for 1 deal, with these pad options. Also, I have been tube rolling with the BHC, and it seems that one could easily find tubes, to compliment either pad option.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,444 of 6,615
I love the idea of having options

Totally agreed. We all have different tastes. The only universal answer can't exist. I think ZMF's various pad options are great to dial in according to one's own preference!

That said, I recommend you to roll pads when you get chance. It's as fun as tube rolling for sure.

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #1,445 of 6,615
I finally have my BHC Speedball and tubes (Mullard ECC82 Long Plate 57' Blackburn & Tung Sol 5998), all burned in, and the sound is amazing. The sound is wide and deep, with warmth, yet plenty of detail. Natural and real, are two words that come to mind. Everything is so well balanced and sounds so hauntingly lifelike. This amp and tube combo, is stunningly magical, with my ZMF Aeolus! The BHC Speedball w/ holy grail tubes and Aeolus, has surpassed the Liquid Platinum, and the Aeolus will be driven full time, with the Crack. The Liquid Platinum, is magical with my Ori, so that pairing, will stay together. With these 2 combos I am set, and could not be happier!

ZMF Aeolus + Schiit Gungnir Multibit + BHC/Speedball = ENDGAME, for true to life sound.

ZMF Ori + Schiit Gungnir Multibit + Liquid Platinum = ENDGAME, for a fun and euphonic sound.

Now, I can finally stop chasing the sound I am after, and just listen to the music.

Happy Listening! :o2smile:

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,447 of 6,615
I finally have my BHC Speedball and tubes (Mullard ECC82 Long Plate 57' Blackburn & Tung Sol 5998)
We run the same tubes. It's good stuff.

I have been burning in a Tungsram ECC82 I found for pretty cheap, and it's a solid competitor to the mullard for less. A bit less mid emphasis, but not enough to detract from that kind of sound.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,448 of 6,615
We run the same tubes. It's good stuff.

I have been burning in a Tungsram ECC82 I found for pretty cheap, and it's a solid competitor to the mullard for less. A bit less mid emphasis, but not enough to detract from that kind of sound.
Awesome! Good to know. Thanks

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,449 of 6,615
I finally have my BHC Speedball and tubes (Mullard ECC82 Long Plate 57' Blackburn & Tung Sol 5998), all burned in, and the sound is amazing. The sound is wide and deep, with warmth, yet plenty of detail. Natural and real, are two words that come to mind. Everything is so well balanced and sounds so hauntingly lifelike. This amp and tube combo, is stunningly magical, with my ZMF Aeolus! The BHC Speedball w/ holy grail tubes and Aeolus, has surpassed the Liquid Platinum, and the Aeolus will be driven full time, with the Crack. The Liquid Platinum, is magical with my Ori, so that pairing, will stay together. With these 2 combos I am set, and could not be happier!

ZMF Aeolus + Schiit Gungnir Multibit + BHC/Speedball = ENDGAME, for true to life sound.

ZMF Ori + Schiit Gungnir Multibit + Liquid Platinum = ENDGAME, for a fun and euphonic sound.

Now, I can finally stop chasing the sound I am after, and just listen to the music.

Happy Listening! :o2smile:

The experience you're describing here is how I feel with my Elekit 300B amp... unfortunately it's going into a speaker system so can't keep them paired together.
Because of this, I just sold the BH Mainline to fund a build for a dedicated SET amp for the Aeolus.
This is going to be an all-out build, based on 45 type tubes. I have most of the parts..... will update when it is done.
Although, I'm starting to think maybe I could've gotten the same for MUCH cheaper in the Crack+SB.

I wonder if anyone compared the Crack/other OTL to a 300B/2A3/45 SET amp

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,450 of 6,615
Got my Aeolus a few weeks ago after ordering in February post-CanJam NYC. Was very nervous because although they sounded nice at the ZMF booth, a show is no place to judge sound quality. Happy to say they have exceeded my greatest hopes dramatically. I took advantage of their discount on the perforated suede pads and I like those better than the stock pads. I love these HPs so much, I feel like I want to just sell everything else!

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,451 of 6,615
Got my Aeolus a few weeks ago after ordering in February post-CanJam NYC. Was very nervous because although they sounded nice at the ZMF booth, a show is no place to judge sound quality. Happy to say they have exceeded my greatest hopes dramatically. I took advantage of their discount on the perforated suede pads and I like those better than the stock pads. I love these HPs so much, I feel like I want to just sell everything else!

I sold all mine besides the T1 due to it being the HP that got me into the hobby.

Jun 27, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,452 of 6,615
Never heard the T1 but I have the T5p which I like enough to hold on to...for now.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #1,453 of 6,615
I’m doing just that, all headphones and amps that I have accumulated over the past few years lol (with a few exceptions, Campfire Cascades for their “all about the bass no treble” they actually have good treble lol, Focal Elegia for work, TH-X00 PH because Purple Heart wood!, and the HD800 (sdr) for pairing with the BHC, and a customized M1060C to be open back, and a couple of gaming headphones, Mobius, Vokyl on the way, Sennheiser pc37x)

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,454 of 6,615
There are many like it, but this is mine :p

EB030FD8-927B-4BBE-8B71-D5208F81AC9D.jpeg
4F99A784-B9BB-4E06-A353-25439ED69EDF.jpeg
C25CC180-E156-433F-82C8-F3B99D4CB9EA.jpeg
19777579-927B-4136-9E36-3555EF19660C.jpeg
0FB5CFD5-901D-4C57-9B7C-D6B3AC12DEDE.jpeg
24976658-E1AE-4404-A4A6-BD329C985882.jpeg

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,455 of 6,615
With a view like that you'd better have some worthy tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back