ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 5, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,351 of 6,720
I finally set up a good day for my buddy to come over to my house to hear my audio set up. We planned on listening some and then walk to a near by cigar lounge to smoke a stogie and eat massive pastrami sandwich :heart_eyes:

Needless to say he was loving the sound so much we didn’t eat til around 9... I let him choose the music since “good sound” was totally new to him. He asked if I ever heard “Debra” by Beck, and I was surprised I never heard it before. I thought it was sweet!!

We had been switching back and forth headphones while listening to different tracks. By the time Debra came on he had the Aeolus on. He said to me “I don’t think I want to give these back...” and he was cheesin. The Aeolus was the stand out of the night for him easily... I highly recommend hearin that track with the Aeolus if you aren’t familiar with it. Very funny lyrics and it has such a funky vibe to it that the Aeolus has no problems showing off.

It’s really nice to share the hobby with someone new to it. Here’s a pic from the night that he snapped-
Looking at the photo now I think it sums up both headphones well. HD800 for when you wanna think, and the Aeolus when you want to JAM ha
Very cool man! I am a serious Beck fan, and will have to give that song a go, tonight. I just sampled that song, on my phone, and I can only imagine how good that is gonna sound, out of the Aeolus. Thanks for sharing!

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,352 of 6,720
I finally set up a good day for my buddy to come over to my house to hear my audio set up. We planned on listening some and then walk to a near by cigar lounge to smoke a stogie and eat massive pastrami sandwich :heart_eyes:

Needless to say he was loving the sound so much we didn’t eat til around 9... I let him choose the music since “good sound” was totally new to him. He asked if I ever heard “Debra” by Beck, and I was surprised I never heard it before. I thought it was sweet!!

We had been switching back and forth headphones while listening to different tracks. By the time Debra came on he had the Aeolus on. He said to me “I don’t think I want to give these back...” and he was cheesin. The Aeolus was the stand out of the night for him easily... I highly recommend hearin that track with the Aeolus if you aren’t familiar with it. Very funny lyrics and it has such a funky vibe to it that the Aeolus has no problems showing off.

It’s really nice to share the hobby with someone new to it. Here’s a pic from the night that he snapped-
Looking at the photo now I think it sums up both headphones well. HD800 for when you wanna think, and the Aeolus when you want to JAM ha
@BunnyNamedCraig oh I see— a massive pastrami sandwich outing and no invite? That is just my kind of party, too!

Glad you guys enjoyed. Beck has gone through so many transformations in his career and I feel like I’ve missed half of them. Will have to check out that track.

The music recommendations in this thread are really helping my tendency to listen to the same 12 songs. Thanks guys!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,353 of 6,720

What cigar lounge were you planning on going to? You ever go to Allegheny Smokeworks?

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,354 of 6,720
@BunnyNamedCraig oh I see— a massive pastrami sandwich outing and no invite? That is just my kind of party, too!

Glad you guys enjoyed. Beck has gone through so many transformations in his career and I feel like I’ve missed half of them. Will have to check out that track.

The music recommendations in this thread are really helping my tendency to listen to the same 12 songs. Thanks guys!
Good point about Beck! Beck, is my desert island band, just for that reason. No matter what mood you are in, Beck has you covered. The Aelous and Beck are a killer combo!

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #1,355 of 6,720

Midnight Vultures is an extremely underrated album. The B-sides from that period are also stellar. Unfortunately Edgar Wright ruined "Debra" by highlighting it in his horrible film Baby Driver. He's a talented director, but he can't write worth a crap.

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,356 of 6,720

Hey ain’t that the truth!! After that song he wanted to hear Loser, but I was in the mood for the ridiculously unnecessary track “WOW” by him. Ha!

I have not heard half of Beck’s work either but I am totally going to start knocking out albums now..

And by the way Hans Moleman, that Sammy is super silly!
What cigar lounge were you planning on going to? You ever go to Allegheny Smokeworks?
“Smokin Brews” off Liberty. It’s a very chill place and the owner is a great person. I highly recommend going. Hit me up with a PM if you don’t mind telling me about Allegheny Smokeworks? I’m not familiar with it.

Good point about Beck! Beck, is my desert island band, just for that reason. No matter what mood you are in, Beck has you covered. The Aelous and Beck are a killer combo!
Very smart way to put it, and honestly someone I wouldn’t think of when it comes to his catalogue. After this track and thinking about others he really is diverse.

I know that there was backlash but I think his Morning Phase album was excellent. I still missed his silly ness with it, but as a whole it was very enjoyable for me.
Midnight Vultures is an extremely underrated album. The B-sides from that period are also stellar. Unfortunately Edgar Wright ruined "Debra" by highlighting it in his horrible film Baby Driver. He's a talented director, but he can't write worth a crap.
Ill totally check that album out... I know the Aeolus will be a big part of my Beck journey!

It never registered to me that when I saw that film that movie that the song playing for a bit was Beck. Interesting fact... I can play it back in my head (the movie that is) and I’m like “oh yeah that is it!”

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,357 of 6,720
Just popping in this thread to say hi. I just picked up a pair of Aeolus from a local fellow head-fier. Haven't yet had time to give it a ton of head time since I also received my Verite's last week, just bought an Oculus Quest, and I only have one head (hey now...keep it clean :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)). But I'll be back to post more when I've given them more of a listen.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,358 of 6,720
Just popping in this thread to say hi. I just picked up a pair of Aeolus from a local fellow head-fier. Haven't yet had time to give it a ton of head time since I also received my Verite's last week, just bought an Oculus Quest, and I only have one head (hey now...keep it clean :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)). But I'll be back to post more when I've given them more of a listen.
Must plays are beat saber and super hot! I have the Rift and have recently been addicted to Beatsaber....oh and Robo recall is amazing!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,359 of 6,720
For anyone curious about the pilot pads on the Aeolus... I found the best fit was to attach it to the leather strap. It severely limits the play in the rods though, so if you have a big head it might not be for you...or ask @zach915m or @BooUrns if you can get longer rods. I found it to be very "pillowy" I love these pads for comfort! I personally am right on the edge of having too big of a head for these to work right, plus I like the look of the headphones too much, to mar their aesthetic (even with the extremely well made Pilot Pad :wink: ). Here are some crappy camera phone pics =) I'll try and get a review/impression/Higher quality pics this weekend of the Aeolus =)

15587457248389003643483728736359.jpg 15587456371786092823012338127381.jpg 15587456754578723367964654347468.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,360 of 6,720
Hey ain’t that the truth!! After that song he wanted to hear Loser, but I was in the mood for the ridiculously unnecessary track “WOW” by him. Ha!

I have not heard half of Beck’s work either but I am totally going to start knocking out albums now..

And by the way Hans Moleman, that Sammy is super silly!

“Smokin Brews” off Liberty. It’s a very chill place and the owner is a great person. I highly recommend going. Hit me up with a PM if you don’t mind telling me about Allegheny Smokeworks? I’m not familiar with it.

Very smart way to put it, and honestly someone I wouldn’t think of when it comes to his catalogue. After this track and thinking about others he really is diverse.

I know that there was backlash but I think his Morning Phase album was excellent. I still missed his silly ness with it, but as a whole it was very enjoyable for me.

Ill totally check that album out... I know the Aeolus will be a big part of my Beck journey!

It never registered to me that when I saw that film that movie that the song playing for a bit was Beck. Interesting fact... I can play it back in my head (the movie that is) and I’m like “oh yeah that is it!”
Morning Phase, is my favorite Beck album.
For anyone curious about the pilot pads on the Aeolus... I found the best fit was to attach it to the leather strap. It severely limits the play in the rods though, so if you have a big head it might not be for you...or ask @zach915m or @BooUrns if you can get longer rods. I found it to be very "pillowy" I love these pads for comfort! I personally am right on the edge of having too big of a head for these to work right, plus I like the look of the headphones too much, to mar their aesthetic (even with the extremely well made Pilot Pad :wink: ). Here are some crappy camera phone pics =) I'll try and get a review/impression/Higher quality pics this weekend of the Aeolus =)

Or, you could just get the suede strap.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,362 of 6,720
Hey Guys-

I am starting to plan ZMFestivus Part II. Just started a thread in the meet ups area. We are going to hold it in October this year.
Stop on by the thread (at this point) to give feedback and (later on) to get the details as they are hammered out.

Look forward to seeing you if you can make it :)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 6, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,363 of 6,720
Another artist who sounds amazing by way of the TPE driver is Jack Johnson.

He records his acoustic instruments with such clarity, and his voice is given a nice bump from the tuning. And most is MQA on Tidal.

Simple songs like “Angel” and more complex ones like “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing” really show off the range of his songwriting. I overlooked him for too long.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,364 of 6,720
These headphones have gotten better, every time I put them on! When will it ever stop. . .:o2smile: Happy Friday to the club!

I should have my Bottlehead Crack Speedball, early next week, and can't wait to hear them on an OTL, but I must say, I don't know how it can get any better, than with my Liquid Platinum.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,365 of 6,720
Another artist who sounds amazing by way of the TPE driver is Jack Johnson.

He records his acoustic instruments with such clarity, and his voice is given a nice bump from the tuning. And most is MQA on Tidal.

Simple songs like “Angel” and more complex ones like “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing” really show off the range of his songwriting. I overlooked him for too long.

My favorite Jack Johnson headphone track is Staple It Together from In Between Dreams. And the entirety of Sleep Through the Static is just so well recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back