ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 14, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #4,471 of 6,717
Definitely!
iFi Micro Black ($400 or less used)
Atticus is another option and $100 cheaper.
Thank you for the suggestion. The iFi looks great, but might be out of my price range. Wonder if there’s any decent portable amp/dacs for around $200… I’ve heard good things about the Hidizs S9, but maybe that’s too low power for the Aeolus.

May 14, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #4,472 of 6,717
Thank you for the suggestion. The iFi looks great, but might be out of my price range. Wonder if there’s any decent portable amp/dacs for around $200… I’ve heard good things about the Hidizs S9, but maybe that’s too low power for the Aeolus.
I use a Fiio BTR5 for the Aeolus whenever I'm outside the house. Not desktop level performance but it's more than enough to enjoy my music. 150 $

May 14, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #4,476 of 6,717
Hey all, I’m looking into the Aeolus as an upgrade from my HD650’s, and a side-grade to my IEM’s (64Audio A12T’s). Overall, my preference has been warm and lush, with an emphasis on sub-bass and mids, and avoiding sibilance. Even found Campfire Andromeda’s a bit too bright. Love my A12T’s, but I do wish they had a little more bite in the treble.

- Do you think the Aeolus would be a good fit for my sonic preferences?
- Money is a bit tight… is there a reasonably priced portable amp/DAC that would be worthy of the Aeolus? Most listening out of iPhone->Tidal, and I’m frequently on the move.

Thanks so much. I’ve noted this particular forum seems as laid back as the headphones! Y’all are chill, it’s great.
I've got a similar preference for sound signature. The Aeolus nails it! You can easily switch pads as well, I regularly switch between the stock perf leather Aeolus pads, and the Universe perf suede pads. Both sound great but both offer a change... two headphones in one!

May 14, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #4,477 of 6,717
What pads does the Aeolus come stock with ? I'm asking because I bought mine used but very carefully taken care of. Owner kept the wood cups in very good condition and even the leather bands. The only downside was the pads that were flattened due to wear and he also offered a pair of Brainwavz Velour XL solid Suede pads. I tried the stock ones but it bothered me that they were flattened and squished so I switched to the solid Suedes from Brainwavz and surely the bass response had gone up but the mids were pretty congested and sounded a little muffled and muted. I quickly ordered from zmf a pair of Universe leather perf and suede perf. I love the sound of the leather perf but I keep wondering how those stock Aeolus pads sound like compared to the Universe.

May 14, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,478 of 6,717
What pads does the Aeolus come stock with ? I'm asking because I bought mine used but very carefully taken care of. Owner kept the wood cups in very good condition and even the leather bands. The only downside was the pads that were flattened due to wear and he also offered a pair of Brainwavz Velour XL solid Suede pads. I tried the stock ones but it bothered me that they were flattened and squished so I switched to the solid Suedes from Brainwavz and surely the bass response had gone up but the mids were pretty congested and sounded a little muffled and muted. I quickly ordered from zmf a pair of Universe leather perf and suede perf. I love the sound of the leather perf but I keep wondering how those stock Aeolus pads sound like compared to the Universe.
The stock Aeolus perforated leather are definitely different to the Universe perforated leather (despite looking extremely similar). The stock perf leather are smaller than the Universe. I ordered the Universe to go with the GoldPlanar GL2000 as the stock didn't fit it (too small).

The bass is more prominent in the stock perf leather (bit more v-shaped tuning I think) vs the Universe perf leather (which comes through as far more neutral). Personally I think the stock perf leather and Universe SUEDE perf leather are my favourite two, and I switch between them regularly. I had the Universe perf leather recently, still sounded good but not as enjoyable to me. Hope that made sense.

May 14, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4,480 of 6,717
The stock Aeolus perforated leather are definitely different to the Universe perforated leather (despite looking extremely similar). The stock perf leather are smaller than the Universe. I ordered the Universe to go with the GoldPlanar GL2000 as the stock didn't fit it (too small).

The bass is more prominent in the stock perf leather (bit more v-shaped tuning I think) vs the Universe perf leather (which comes through as far more neutral). Personally I think the stock perf leather and Universe SUEDE perf leather are my favourite two, and I switch between them regularly. I had the Universe perf leather recently, still sounded good but not as enjoyable to me. Hope that made sense.
Any way to buy the stock Aeolus perf pads ? I keep the Universe leather perfs on for that slight bump in bass. The Univ perf Suede sound a little more airy but they lack a little bit of impact. I can adjust that on my DAC but would be nice to just have it as it is

May 14, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #4,481 of 6,717
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 14, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,482 of 6,717
Any way to buy the stock Aeolus perf pads ? I keep the Universe leather perfs on for that slight bump in bass. The Univ perf Suede sound a little more airy but they lack a little bit of impact. I can adjust that on my DAC but would be nice to just have it as it is
If you message them directly via the ZMF website I'm sure you'd get some help in buying them. Zach is beyond helpful.

May 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #4,485 of 6,717
If someone doesn't mind, could you lay out roughly how each pad sounds on the Aeolus? I'm a little confused, there's a lot of info floating around all over the place.

Also:
Wasn't able to snag an Aeolus bummer :frowning2: They sold out so fast!

Is there a shortage of Aeoluses (Aeoli?) It looks like I can place the order, are they on backorder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back