1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZiShan T1 Hi-Fi Player Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by IcedFrosty, Jul 27, 2019.
Tags:
?

Is this the best DAP under $100?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Way above the price range!

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Could be

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last
  1. HeyManslowdown97
    Yea those adapters are awesome. The only place I have seen them sold is on the sparkos website for 15 bucks!

I would love to get my hands on some but NOT for 15 bucks though.

However, These wouldn’t work in the T1 because of the space restraints unless you went with an “open case” designs which I don’t like because there’s all kinds of vulnerabilities to damage the T1 this way.

Would be nice to have someone design a few 3D casings for different size op amps in the DSD versions so all you would need to is put one on. Someone on the Zishan Corner thread did this for the DSD Pro Buttons so there people out there that can do it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. fabien32
    HeyManslowdown97 likes this.
  3. HeyManslowdown97
    Using one of my old Zishan DSD Pro as a “ Guinea Pig” for mods to do on the my T1.

This is what I did last night:

1. Replaced the MSOP for ADP1613AR DC-DC 2.5v to 5.5v Step Up

2. Replaced the Conv DC-DC 0.9v to 5.5v synchronous Step UP with TPS61072

3. Replaced the LDOs with ADP7142 3.3 and 5.0, and one 3.3 going to the clocks! (Holy Smokes!!!!)

Here’s some pics don’t worry I’m not gonna quit my day job and yes my soldering is catastrophic (but gets the job done :p )

Also added some Hi-Temp Masking Tape in the interior of the aluminum casing to cool it down a bit when it’s my pocket on-the-go!

Updated: The sound is greatly improved in both 3.5m and 2.5m. (The balanced sounds incredible!!!)

The bass response is ridiculous and so are vocals sounding fantastic and there’s hardly any harshness in the higher frequency anymore and the filters are more noticeable!

The volume is also improved even at lower levels you can comfortably listen with lots of nuance and oomph! (This is what I was hoping to find in putting in a high current op amp like the AD8397 now that the power supply is fixed don’t feel the need and have more op amp options now that I’m liberated to do so!)

In my opinions there’s no need to MacGyver the player at all!

ADP7142 rocks- hard! (waving my horn-hands in the air like I just don’t care!)

CMOS LDOs > LDOs for Audio!

73C1208A-00FE-4BE1-B170-32433C2EEC18.jpeg 5A56887F-C85F-4321-874E-DE870643B770.jpeg [/B][/S]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. Ivan TT
    Nice!
    Are you sure it’s pin compatible with the stock one though? (Asking for a friend)

5. HeyManslowdown97
    It is to the best of my knowledge. I ran the numbers and found this as even swap on a cross reference and pin-to-pin compatible. It saves on battery life and runs cooler too. I have one in my other DSD Pro for a while that’s got the power saver switch this one does not but equally effective!

This mods is insane! The LDOs really bring the op amps to life! I’m shocked because it worked out the way I imagined it would and the player is at another level now!

The balance is more “micro” sounding and the SE is “macro” not in terms of soundstage can’t really describe it but they both sound great quality-wise (no complaints)

Also as an unintended positive byproduct the flash playback is now gapless and the player isn’t struggling at all like it did before when pushed! However, at 28-31 the LCD flickers but I NEVER need to go that far up in volume staying within 15-25 depending on music style/genre and RMS and it’s fine.

Better transistors my guess?? LDOs have very high PSRR and are designed specially for a DAC and analog and digital signals!

6. Ivan TT
    Right...

Please don’t see it as criticism or negativity, it’s more like a peer-review.

There’s a strong possibility that they are not pin compatible (I just checked datasheets again), this May also explain display flicker...

If they are not compatible, then DAC runs directly from battery as LDOs do not activate, at whatever voltage battery is, both for 3.3V analogue and digital and 5V analogue voltages (at least not 5 V one). This may also explain needing higher volume setting, as output is scaled down by the difference between expected 5V reference and current battery voltage which becomes the reference.

7. HeyManslowdown97
    Nah that’s not the case and quite the opposite, it’s actually scaling lower in the volume settings which means the decimals are higher per number. It’s also happened long before that when I put the caps in and op amps. I actually Dont have to play music that loud. It’s loud enough at 15 and runs cooler!

I hear what you saying but I’m guessing it flickers is because there’s too little current at volume as a In drop off. I’m actually gonna try to lower the LDOs where the cpu is with low Q ones like these TPS78318 or my have to raise the voltage on the ceramic caps to 16v or above?

I’m definitely keeping an eye for the battery life but it appears to run longer and cooler in this mod. If it was running on the battery die immediately or faster. I can also run test with a higher mah battery I have to see about the flickering at some point. Worse case scenario I’ll need a new battery.

Obviously, I can’t recommend this mod to anyone because it’s too early to tell.... that’s why I’m using it as a Guinea pig.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  8. Ivan TT
    OK, just expressing an opinion (actually, not even initially mine, but I agree) based on what I believe is true based on photos above:
    1. DC-DC step up (6 pin) is not pin compatible with the stock one, so LDOs are not supplied with 5.2V as in stock.
    2. Tantalum capacitors polarity is reversed (their markings are mirrored compared to electrolytic ones, bar is the positive side).

9. HeyManslowdown97
    Thanks for the input. Mulling over taking my Zishan DSD Pro to eleven in performance by adding the AD8397 in the lpf.

Remember to credit me when change the LDOs and MSOP. You welcome and enjoy. :)

10. HeyManslowdown97
    @IvanTT Put the stock DC-DC Converter back into Zishan DAC can you ask your trusted friend of any that are better quality and compatible?

it’s not urge because the stock works fine just wanna keep in a future supply lists for future mods. You should definitely get these LDOs and MSOP. The MSOP does wonders to playback quality and battery life and I noticed faster charging (not lightening but there’s noticeable difference!)

I’m aware of the tantalum markings the reason it’s flicker is because I put ultra low ESRs ones with like 5% and the thing is the most powerful thing in the DAC. Definitely nice but overdoing it. (No doubt Spinal Tapped :p )

Updated: The Tantalum Caps were indeed put on incorrectly. Rearranged them and lucky had extras thanks Ivan (& Merlin!)

11. IcedFrosty
    Really great to see you all peacefully discuss about modding the dsd. Maybe next time, mod the T1? Asking as a friend :wink:.

Have a nice day,
    God bless

12. HeyManslowdown97
    Already Have! Replaced all the LDOs and Clocks with aforementioned components in my T1 and it sounds Amazing!

Just had to do it first on the DSD Pro as a trial run. The Zishans are zombie music players that need quality controlled genuine parts to make them awesome. :wink:

(Once again, not the greatest technician in circuitry so the feedback about the step converter and tantalum markings was super helpful.)

Plan on experimenting with different op amps and changing caps to see what I like best. Don’t really feel the player needs extra love after that for me besides :) bliss.

IcedFrosty likes this.
  13. citral23
    Subscribing back to the thread and un-ignoring HeyManslowdown97 as apparently the debate becomes civilized again, nice to see.

I'm still considering this player if one thing, that is for me a deal breaker, is sorted in a future firmware : the background picture.

I've seen a video that leaves no doubt about the busy background making scrolling through music (text) very hard to read. I'd rather be able to chose my own, if not chose between a few options including a black one, or just a plain dark one.

The capacitive touchscreen I thought was a deal breaker at first, but from the videos I saw it seems ok, and when the price is taken into account it's not all that bad tbh.

I'm not sure anymore if someone posted the output Z of the T1?

If not can someone open it and look what resistors we have at the output stage please?

Thanks in advance :)

IcedFrosty likes this.
  14. IcedFrosty
    Hello citral,
    Welcome back to the thread. Having a lot of friendly people on a thread is a personal pride for me.

About the screen, sorry to hear that. You should be really careful with the screen. But you can try some methods from the video that I shared couple weeks ago. The price of dual AK4493 T1 is also dropped now, not as expensive as what it used to.

I hope more people are re-subscribe to this thread and re-join the party!

PS: still waiting for new modules to be released. The dual ES9038Q3M sounds good to me.

Have a great day,
    God bless.

15. citral23
    I haven't got my hands on the T1 yet, it's not me who broke his screen Frosty.

I was skeptical about it being capacitive, but it seems ok.

There is one report about a broken screen, but I'm not judging either way, it appears that it should be handled with care and not go berserk on it which apparently the user did.

First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last