ZiShan DSDs HiFi Player Thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119

IcedFrosty

100+ Head-Fier
ZiShan DSDs
Upgraded model of ZiShan DSD audio player, available in 2 different versions:

1. ZiShan DSDs Dual AK4497EQ, featuring;
- PCM playback: up to 32bit/384kHz
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4497EQ*2
- LPF: OP275*2 (Soldered)
- AMP: LM4562 (Rollable)
- Output power: 400mW @32Ω
- MCU: STM32F7
- CLPD: Altera Max II
- Crystal oscillator: Dual; @45.1584-MHz ,49.1520-MHz
- PO: 3.5mm
- BO: 2.5mm AK
- LO: 3.5mm
- Coaxial: 3.5mm TS
- Display: 2.4" WQVGA
- Operation method: 5 physical buttons
- EQ: 180 preset, custom equalizer available
- Sound filter, DSD frequency cutoff, sound quality, sleep timer options, etc are available
- USB port: Type-C (Combined charging and USB DAC ports)
- Relay: Axicom IMO 1 3VDC (PO only)
- USB DAC: fixed 16bit/48kHz
- SD Card expansion: 256GB (FAT32 required)
- Battery: 3.8V 3000mAh
- Body dimensions: 80mm x 58mm x 24mm (H x W x T)

DSDs AK4497:
~ Inside
DSDs 4497 inside.jpg

~ Block diagram
DSDs 4497 block diagram.jpg

==//==

2. ZiShan DSDs Single AK4499EQ, featuring;
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 1bit/11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4499EQ
- I/V: Pro version; AD8620*4 LPF (Soldered) / Normal version; OP275*4 (Soldered)
- LPF: Pro version: MUSES02 AMP (Rollable) / Normal version: LM4562 (Rollable)
- AMP: BUF634*2 (Soldered)
- BO: 2.5mm AK (note: when you use the 2.5mm balanced port, you must connect an amplifier or a balanced pre-amplifier.)
- Operation method: 5 physical press buttons
- Sound filter, DSD frequency cutoff, sound quality, sleep timer options, etc are available

DSDs AK4499EQ:
~ Inside
DSDs 4499 inside.png

~ Block diagram
ZiShan DSDs 4499 Block Diagram v0.2a.png
(Couldn't find the block diagram for the 4499 so i decided to make one by my own.)

Gallery:

Front & rearTop & bottomWhat you'll getQuick start guide
Front & rear.jpgTop & bottom.jpgWhat you'll get.jpgDSDs design layout.jpg
Playback supportZiShan player comparisonSound filtersSound quality setting
Supported playback codecs.jpgzishan comparison.jpgSound filters.jpgSound quality setting.jpg
(Open links down below to see more information.)

Links:
∆ You can get DSDs AK4497 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000785853010.html
∆ You can get DSDs AK4499 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000786175396.html
∆ Firmwares:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1vFVaDb6TuRP6JdYJD0xKfA
Password: 0brr

Updates:
None so far.

NOTE:
If your DSDs is draining a lot of battery and exhibiting a lot of heat, you might want to turn off the "Turbo" DAC setting. That way, your DSDs will have an extended battery life and less heat.

P.S. I know the DSDs is kinda "cold" now, but due to requests and the fact that the DSDs is a different line up from the old DSD, so I decided to make it happen. And there you go, i hope this thread can be useful.

Stay healthy,
God bless

Attachments

• DSD frequency & sound quality setting.jpg
    DSD frequency & sound quality setting.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 119
ZiShan DSDs
Upgraded model of ZiShan DSD audio player, available in 2 different versions:

1. ZiShan DSDs Dual AK4497EQ, featuring;
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4497EQ*2
- LPF: OP275*2 (Soldered)
- AMP: LM4562 (Rollable)
- BO: 2.5mm AK
- Operation method: 5 physical buttons

DSDs AK4497:
~ Inside

~ Block diagram

==//==

2. ZiShan DSDs Single AK4499EQ, featuring;
- DSD playback: native DSD up to 1bit/11.2MHz (256)
- DAC: AK4499EQ
- I/V: Pro version; AD8620*4 LPF (Soldered) / Normal version; OP275*4 (Soldered)
- LPF: Pro version: MUSES02 AMP (Rollable) / Normal version: LM4562 (Rollable)
- AMP: BUF634*2 (Soldered)
- BO: 2.5mm AK (note: when you use the 2.5mm balanced port, you must connect an amplifier or a balanced pre-amplifier.)
- Operation method: 5 physical press buttons

DSDs AK4499EQ:
~ Inside

~ Block diagram

(Couldn't find the block diagram for the 4499 so i decided to make one by my own.)

Gallery:

Front & rearTop & bottomWhat you'll getQuick start guide
Playback supportZiShan player comparisonSound filtersSound quality setting
(Open links down below to see more information.)

Links:
∆ You can get DSDs AK4497 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000785853010.html
∆ You can get DSDs AK4499 here on AE:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000786175396.html
∆ Firmwares:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1vFVaDb6TuRP6JdYJD0xKfA
Password: 0brr

Updates:
None so far.

NOTE:
If your DSDs is draining a lot of battery and exhibiting a lot of heat, you might want to turn off the "Turbo" DAC setting. That way, your DSDs will have an extended battery life and less heat.

P.S. I know the DSDs is kinda "cold" now, but due to requests and the fact that the DSDs is a different line up from the old DSD, so I decided to make it happen. And there you go, i hope this thread can be useful.

Stay healthy,
God bless

This is amazing @IcedFrosty I've never seem this much information about the Zishans. It even has what lcd screen model and description of all the specs! So cool. Thanks for making this!!!

Nice block you made for the Ak4499 too!

I have both the DSDs. It nice to see a thread dedicated to these two only. It gets confusing with all the different models and firmware updates for all them to keep track!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 119
4668C619-FB1E-48F4-B77C-B091246B656A.jpeg

Did some modifications on my double ak4497 Zishan and now the firmware doesn't recognize that it's the ak4497 and NOT the AK4499. The DAC turns on BUT it doesn't make a sound because it's set to the Ak4499 version.

@IcedFrosty can you ask the Zishan manufacturer why this is??

I suspect its because of a short circuit or the values in DAC have made it unrecognizable the firmware and because the firmware is encrypted I cannot access only the AK4497 version.
Is there anyway the Zishan folks could post a dsds version firmware will ONLY the ak4497 and not both so it doesn’t get confused and fall back on the default settings of the Ak4499 firmware version???

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 119

Did some modifications on my double ak4497 Zishan and now the firmware doesn't recognize that it's the ak4497 and NOT the AK4499. The DAC turns on BUT it doesn't make a sound because it's set to the Ak4499 version.

I suspect its because of a short circuit or the values in DAC have made it unrecognizable the firmware and because the firmware is encrypted I cannot access only the AK4497 version.
Is there anyway the Zishan folks could post a dsds version firmware will ONLY the ak4497 and not both so it doesn’t get confused and fall back on the default settings of the Ak4499 firmware version???
I had the same problem when I installed the 5b on the 4497, i downgraded to 4k and the sound came back

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 119
I've been testing for few days now the sound differences between the Zishan 4499 and the topping d90 mqa. And no doubt the the d90 is better sounding ( wider soundstage, more power in the mid bass ect) but the fact that I'm comparing the two tell you something!
I paid 200$ for the Zishan! and beside the d90 none of my DACs are even close to the sound this ugly device produce ! Yes the d90 is the winner i sound quality, but i pay 700$ for it and another 100$ for the jds atom to get it to give me sound. Yes the Zishan is really weird looking and almost look like something from 1960, and yes i had to make a cooling system for it so my house doesn't turn on fire. But for 200 and something to get this sound?! Amazing! The Zishan is a winner in my book.
Apparently i have the upgraded version

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 119
“I had the same problem when I installed the 5b on the 4497, i downgraded to 4k and the sound came back.”

Thanks Fabian, Will attempt this but it may have to be done with the digital board disconnected to the DAC to work. Hopefully it does. It’s soooooo annoying!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 119
which is newer u1 or this?
They are both the same new. That said, the Zishan DSDs is not comparable to the U1, they different beast. I haven't heard the u1 but I'm sure it's wonderful. I myself compared the Zishan to the d90 even They are not comfortable. If you look for the best sound possible for the cheapest possible, than the Zishan is for you. If you look for the best sound possible with futures and elegance than you should look elsewhere. depend on money you are willing/can spend you have the d90mqa and the smsl500 and 400 and at the top of the list you have the matrix element x. Somewhere along this list you have the u1. The u1 use a propritery dac. I personally own the d90 and I don't see how sound can get any better. But if I had the money, I definitely would try them all especially the matrix element x. I hope it wasn't too much information

I just realized you are not talking about the Lumin u1 but about the Zishan u1 AK4493.
The u1 maybe newer but I serms like nothing I want

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 119

The Zishan U1 (just learned about this from your post!) doesn’t have the flagship or top tier chips (Ak4497eq, Ak4499 (flagship)) but it is a better USB DAC and also has a larger battery at 4200mAh

“Zishan U1 HIFI Portable Type-C USB DAC AMP AK4493 Chip Decoder Amanero XMOS + 4200mAh Fast Charge Power Bank for PC”

It’s funny was just look at getting the flagship Ak4137 + the AK4118 interface DAC SRC To stream at higher sampling rates from the USB DAC for my DSDs since it only outputs at 16/48!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293170438413

on the to-do list! Informative thread!

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/348333-ak4137-ak4118-interface.html

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 119
I had the same problem when I installed the 5b on the 4497, i downgraded to 4k and the sound came back

It didn’t work and still an ongoing problem! Ugh!

BTW, AliExpress will have a sale on the DSDs and some vendors are selling the ak4497 double for only $130 US and that’s before coupons, I think! Pretty good deal! It starts in a day or so depending on where you live, me thinks???

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 119
It didn’t work and still an ongoing problem! Ugh!

BTW, AliExpress will have a sale on the DSDs and some vendors are selling the ak4497 double for only $130 US and that’s before coupons, I think! Pretty good deal! It starts in a day or so depending on where you live, me thinks???
I gave to my best friend the 4497 since I upgraded to the Zishan 4499 and the d90

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 119
They are both the same new. That said, the Zishan DSDs is not comparable to the U1, they different beast. I haven't heard the u1 but I'm sure it's wonderful. I myself compared the Zishan to the d90 even They are not comfortable. If you look for the best sound possible for the cheapest possible, than the Zishan is for you. If you look for the best sound possible with futures and elegance than you should look elsewhere. depend on money you are willing/can spend you have the d90mqa and the smsl500 and 400 and at the top of the list you have the matrix element x. Somewhere along this list you have the u1. The u1 use a propritery dac. I personally own the d90 and I don't see how sound can get any better. But if I had the money, I definitely would try them all especially the matrix element x. I hope it wasn't too much information

I just realized you are not talking about the Lumin u1 but about the Zishan u1 AK4493.
The u1 maybe newer but I serms like nothing I want
haha yeah i was talking about zishan u1 not anything else. comparing the dsds to what i saw a desktop dac isnt a fair comparison but oh well. good review man

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 119
This is amazing @IcedFrosty I've never seem this much information about the Zishans. It even has what lcd screen model and description of all the specs! So cool. Thanks for making this!!!

Nice block you made for the Ak4499 too!

I have both the DSDs. It nice to see a thread dedicated to these two only. It gets confusing with all the different models and firmware updates for all them to keep track!
Thanks, SlowMan. The block was nothing special though.

Agreed with you. A separate thread also allows people to know more.

My trusted source said that there's not gonna be two different DSDs firmware for simplicity and time-saving.

Can you perform a hard reset on your DSDs? It will bring back anything to stock. Please don't do anything to the DAC, as they are very crucial.
I've been testing for few days now the sound differences between the Zishan 4499 and the topping d90 mqa. And no doubt the the d90 is better sounding ( wider soundstage, more power in the mid bass ect) but the fact that I'm comparing the two tell you something!
I paid 200$ for the Zishan! and beside the d90 none of my DACs are even close to the sound this ugly device produce ! Yes the d90 is the winner i sound quality, but i pay 700$ for it and another 100$ for the jds atom to get it to give me sound. Yes the Zishan is really weird looking and almost look like something from 1960, and yes i had to make a cooling system for it so my house doesn't turn on fire. But for 200 and something to get this sound?! Amazing! The Zishan is a winner in my book.
Apparently i have the upgraded version
Cool, Zishan always gives the best price-to-performance product to folks. How about battery life and heat on the DSDs? Have you done anything to her?
U1 is newer.
The Zishan U1 (just learned about this from your post!) doesn’t have the flagship or top tier chips (Ak4497eq, Ak4499 (flagship)) but it is a better USB DAC and also has a larger battery at 4200mAh

“Zishan U1 HIFI Portable Type-C USB DAC AMP AK4493 Chip Decoder Amanero XMOS + 4200mAh Fast Charge Power Bank for PC”

It’s funny was just look at getting the flagship Ak4137 + the AK4118 interface DAC SRC To stream at higher sampling rates from the USB DAC for my DSDs since it only outputs at 16/48!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293170438413

on the to-do list! Informative thread!

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/348333-ak4137-ak4118-interface.html
Yeah, maybe flagship specs in the next U2? Haha, just joking. Still waiting for my U1... Haven't arrived and it's already the 28th day since i bought it.

Why would you wanna buy an SRC? The zishan players (not only DSDs) will automatically resample anything that's above or below 16/48. If you have the money then go ahead. It's fun to use SRC sometimes. Personally, i use SRC only to test playback support of a player or DAC.

Feel free to discuss more :)

Edit: sorry for my late reply. Been very busy since the last time I was on the line.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 119
Can you perform a hard reset on your DSDs? It will bring back anything to stock. Please don't do anything to the DAC, as they are very crucial.

How do I a hard reset?? I've tried repeatedly to reset the firmware??? Is that what you mean???

Why would you wanna buy an SRC? The zishan players (not only DSDs) will automatically resample anything that's above or below 16/48

It's not how it works an SRC chip allows you to upsample conversion in realtime so say you have a file that’s playing in the Zishan at 44/16 flac you can upsample the output at 176/32 or what you like in playback. It’s definitely not necessary but would help in keeping files smaller a less taxing on the digital board so it plays cooler especially on the Ak4499 Zishan. You also have digital filters that can be used in the output when you’re upsampling that give different timbre and sound as well. Just a hobby would be funny to build one. Also the Ak4118 is a great decode that’s also used in the Datasheet evaluation boards for the ak44xx chips!

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 119
How do I a hard reset?? I've tried repeatedly to reset the firmware??? Is that what you mean???
Press the small hardware reset button located on the top of the DSD (the small hole near the SD card slot). Press by using a phone SIM card ejector. I hope this helps.

About SRC, i got your point. Have fun, SlowMan ✌️.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back