Zhaolu D2.x - Upgrade from D1.3
Apr 6, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #106 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Wow, it has 3 pairs of RCA outs! Are they all identical?
confused.gif

line-out headphone-in and pre-amp out

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #107 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengzhe
line-out headphone-in and pre-amp out

What exactly is the difference between line out and pre-amp out?
Which would I want to use when?

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #108 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by udo
What exactly is the difference between line out and pre-amp out?
Which would I want to use when?

The line out would be fixed in level while the pre-amp out would be variable.
My guess would be that it would be controlled by the volume pot on the front of the dac.

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #109 of 214
line-out: fixed volume analog outputs
pre-amp out: variable volume analog outputs, controlled by volume knob

The "headphone-in" should be analog inputs for the headphone amplifier section, so you can use the D2.0 as a headamp only.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #111 of 214
Amazing how this thing can now even possibly be a preamp too.

Clarification on the chart with three versions. If you translate the page you can decifer the fact that it's merely a comparison chart between the original D1.3, an early design of the new 2.0 and then the final version of the 2.0. So there's just one 2.0. It is confusing but they are attempting to show the changes they made from the D1.3 and how they have improved upon an improved design from the 1.3. It is a little confusing. It's kind of a - here's the 1.3 design, then we made it better, but then we made it better yet and this is the final.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #114 of 214
The problem is not the line-out or pre-out - is the volume knob - which introduce additional noise. If the circuits will be totally separated (line-out from pre-out) - which I doubt, than I have no problems.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #115 of 214
dang with preamp now I can do the following, and tes tout on my speaker rig

transport --> zhalou --> amp

get rid of the preamp! (we will see how it compares to my other pre)

It probably will introduce noise, hope not.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #116 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmihai
I don't consider an advantage if it has a pre-amp out. Fixed output is ALWAYS preferable.

There is a fixed output, there's just an ADDITIONAL preamp output. Of course a fixed level output is always best, that's obvious.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #117 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmihai
The problem is not the line-out or pre-out - is the volume knob - which introduce additional noise. If the circuits will be totally separated (line-out from pre-out) - which I doubt, than I have no problems.

They are completely separate. The fixed line output comes straight from the DAC. The volume controlled/preamp output comes from the headphone amp circuitry. Completely separate circuits.

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #120 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
awesome!

I know! It's pretty cool. It's amazing the flexibility this unit has. If only it had USB too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back