Zhaolu D2.x - Upgrade from D1.3
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 214
may! i'm hungry for better music now.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 214
Fan was just talking about the Zhaolu 2.0 in regards to the mystery DAC you guys are talking about.

uzziah- If prices stay the same for the headphone amp upgrade then it will be about $25.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
First thread got deleted, why repost? Put it in Mall-Fi..

huh? no one is selling anything here (and for that matter chengzhe wasn't selling to the usa/europe, but i digress.....)

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #19 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Fan was just talking about the Zhaolu 2.0 in regards to the mystery DAC you guys are talking about.

uzziah- If prices stay the same for the headphone amp upgrade then it will be about $25.

i'm trying to be conservative. i like a nice tax return
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 214
the zhaolu representative in the Chinese forum said the D2.0 has made all the upgrade similar to the "dealer upgraded" D1.3 ..and has acknowleged the headfi thread comparing DAC1 to Zhaolu (translated to Chinese LMAO) The rep claim the new D2.x is better than the upgraded D1.3....interesting...

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
the zhaolu representative in the Chinese forum said the D2.0 has made all the upgrade similar to the "dealer upgraded" D1.3 ..and has acknowleged the headfi thread comparing DAC1 to Zhaolu (translated to Chinese LMAO) The rep claim the new D2.x is better than the upgraded D1.3....interesting...

I'm about to declare it the winnner, this dac's momentum is unstoppable.
1. VDA-2 lost because it costs 599, two weeks ago if it had been 499 i would hvae had it already, but now i know better.... it has the same chip as the Zhalou and cost at least twice as much.
2. DO2 and baby DO2, just yesterday i thought this ran away with it, until i realized that i have several CDs at 24 bits and 96khz, meaning this 16 and 44.1 thing isn't going to work out for me...
3. Zhaolu 1.3, would have won, had 2.0 never come out.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #22 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert

Fantastic. Any mention of a black face plate yet? just kidding =)

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #24 of 214
looking at the upgraded headamp, it looks like there's an opamp in the middle? but that can't be since it's discrete? what is that chip?

i'm curious what people think about the (whatever-you-call-it) that replaced the torroidal transformer?

do you think the dac boards will be soldered to the main board? i imagine the couldn't be socketed? too may sockets? i would hope they'd be soldered. i've heard some paranoid-inducing things about dac chips being socketed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 214
Lets only hope that the new dac 2 will be a step forward and not a step backwards.As many new models have been in the past from different companies.

I would not be suprised if some company in the usa did not try to get oem boards from them-put it in a nice chassy-nice advertising-then bam-$1500++
very_evil_smiley.gif
dac.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #26 of 214
yes; i have the same fear, but so far it seems to look pretty good. i have little choice as i really want the headamp for my budget setup. add a good pair of phones likd hd600, dt880 or the like for $200 and for $400 i have a pretty wildly good setup, so i think
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #27 of 214
Well i think i am going with D02 (that bigger battery powered version with now toslink+coax it seems) since i have only 16-bit/44.1KHz normal CD material as my music. And ofcourse because i have not tried nos dac yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise this zhaolu with PCM1794 could be real nice for price especially if you get it with discrete headphone amp..

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #28 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i'm curious what people think about the (whatever-you-call-it) that replaced the torroidal transformer?

Well its called R-core. Lots of dacs use it (especially chinese) because its good.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #29 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Fantastic. Any mention of a black face plate yet? just kidding =)

Now that's what I want to know!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
2. DO2 and baby DO2, just yesterday i thought this ran away with it, until i realized that i have several CDs at 24 bits and 96khz, meaning this 16 and 44.1 thing isn't going to work out for me...

It's first thing in the morning so maybe I'm missing something here but the CD standard is 16 bit/44.1khz so I'm not sure how you could have 24 bit/96khz CD's, if it's a CD there shouldn't be any problem playing back using the Storm DAC's. Are you sure they weren't recorded at 24 bits/96khz because that wouldn't have any bearing on playback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back