Zhaolu 2.5 what CD player is this equivelent to ?
Mar 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hendern88

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I have a Technics SL-PS900 and want to improve sound quality.

After long investigation I'm about to plump for a Zhaolu 2.5 ( poss a 7.2 ).

However just before this a previous thread re sub $400 DAC or CD units sparked the obvious question

"What level of dedicated CD player do you feel the Zhaolu is equal to in sound quality ?"

ie :-

NAD521BB...542
Arcam 73 ..192

or way below or above these.

I plan on using the PS900 as a transport

Any ideas or experiences welcome.

cheers
Neil

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, I guess something with the same dac chip and opamps would sound quite similar
evil_smiley.gif
As you might know there are two different Zhaolus using different dac chips. The sound of the Zhaolu depends highly on what chip and opamps are used.

Ok, I wouldn't say the Zhaolu is significantly better than a cd-player at the same price, but it is much more versatile as you can plug your computer, dvd-player or digital tv to it. In addition, the Zhaolu is pretty easy to upgrade or play around with, like changing opamps.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 3
I am also interested in this question.
Reading the mod the zhaolu thread, there is one person using a 521 to feed their Zhaolu, so I am guessing it's better than that CDP. I have a stock Z2.5A, and it's not quite as good as my carver CDP. I have heard the 542, but haven't A/B'd with a Zhaolu. I doubt that a stock Z sounds better than a 542 or arcam 73.
Modded with a zapfilter is supposed to be quite a different story. I have ordered 4562's and will probably try the zapfilter before long...
I am using my PC as a transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back