ZERO DAC problem, please help!
Jul 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SilverFang

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I`ve just purchased(few weeks ago..) a ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp from Mr.Lawrence.

My problem is this; When I turn on the module after hooking it up to a source with the optical cable that came in the box, I get zero sound, unless I turn it up to MAX on the volume knob, then I can hear something, but it is extremely weak..

The strange thing; as I turn OFF the device, the volume goes up in a flash, and then it shuts down, so I don`t really know what is wrong.

I`ve tried the DAC on my reciever, my DVDplayer and with my SB X-fi XtremeMusic with this handy module:
t_47722_01.jpg

..same result every time, the sound is extremely faint, but it`s there, and the volume goes up(to normal level I suppose..) in a flash when I turn the device off, but only then...

Could it be the cable perhaps?? I`m no audio-expert so I hope there`s nothing wrong with the Zero.. I don`t think I`ll be able to fix it myself.. I`ve only tried it with the optical cable that came with the device..

Thanks.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 3

ciphercomplete

1000+ Head-Fier
A bad toroidal transformer maybe? I doubt its a optical cable issue since that wouldn't affect volume.

I don't know. I use that same module with my soundcard and I have no problems but since you are getting the same results no matter what you use then that doesn't matter anyway.

You should really contact Lawrence and ask him. He is quick about responding to emails and in my experience he practices great customer service. If it is a quick fix he might even be able to walk you through it.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 3

SilverFang

New Head-Fier
Good idea.

Tnx for your response, now I atleast know that the setup is good2go.

I`ve contacted Lawrence, awaiting response. I think I`m gonna head down to the local hi-fi shop tomorrow and borrow a coax cable.

Do u use coax or optical on your system?

Users who are viewing this thread