Originally Posted by h.monay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280Pros
and I'm looking to get the Zero Dac/AMP for audio
from my PC through Toslink
Is it worth it to get the Zero Dac?

definitely.....maybe...

Peete.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Isn't that something you should be asking yourself and not other people? Lol. Maybe ask your wallet. It IS an upgrade and a nice one. But asking if it is worth it to strangers who don't know your situation... well that's just silly.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.monay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280Pros
and I'm looking to get the Zero Dac/AMP for audio
from my PC through Toslink
Is it worth it to get the Zero Dac?

I was about to go down this route in getting a DAC fed from my PC. One alternative that I've been reading about is to get a audiophile quality sound card. I've been reading that since they don't have to worry about casing, power supplies, transformers they can direct all that extra cash into producing a quality DAC.

I'm currently considering an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 which can be found for $75 which is supposed to be a great DAC for the price. I'm not sure about this but I'm currently using a AV-710 card for my AD700s and they sound pretty good. I think that if you don't want to spend that much especially on "lower tier" HP you could give that a shot. Just my 2 cents, I could definitely be wrong.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a HD280. I can tell you right now that the HD280 will gain next to nothing in terms of sound quality from an amp.

I second that!

No need for an amp with the HD 280.
I would only start considering getting the ZERO with HD 580 and above headphones.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 8
I will agree - one of my first cans was the HD280 - initially enjoyable for a closed can - but after obtaining HD580s and the Grado lineup - the 280's are definitely not worth an amp - save your money and upgrade your cans first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back