Zero Audiocraft Cmoy VS other budget amps?
Mar 2, 2006 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

c001m4n

Head-Fier
I just bought an Zero Audiocraft Cmoy (w/ dual OPA2227) (getting shipped tomorrow). I was also considering little dot micro and pa2v2 headphone amps. I have a Koss Portapro and a Senn HD201. I was wondering if the Cmoy was a good choice for me.

There are a lot of positive reviews for the pa2v2, but I also read about some problems people were having. There were almost no reviews for the little dot micro and some said it had little "effect".

This will be my first amp, I am still very new at this so please bear with me
eggosmile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by c001m4n
I just bought an Zero Audiocraft Cmoy (w/ dual OPA2227) (getting shipped tomorrow). I was also considering little dot micro and pa2v2 headphone amps. I have a Koss Portapro and a Senn HD201. I was wondering if the Cmoy was a good choice for me.

Given your headphones, I'd say so. IMO it's when you get up into Senn HD580/Grado SR-225 territory that you want to start looking for something better than a CMOY.

My Portapro2 does sound better from a Pimeta w/OPA627s than it does from a Headsave Go-Vibe, but I still wouldn't buy a $150 Pimeta specifically for Portapros (YMMV).

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 4
I am NOT an audiophile & I have next to no experience with any of the portable amps other than my PA2V2, but I have compared it to a few other amps & sources and for low to mid impedance headphones, it does a great job. My DT770s @ 80ohms are powered more than sufficiently, with volume to spare - bass is fantastic and my impressions are quite good overall, especially given the 60$ price tag (shipping included I believe).

I did audition a Senn HD580 using the PA2V2 and it couldn't quite provide enough juice as I was getting distortion (humming) at higher volumes on bassy tracks that was clearly not present on the more powerful amp I was comparing it to. If I remember correctly, Gary (who makes the PA2V2) told me it was for use in headphones up to 300ohms, but I'd opt for a more powerful amp if you are going to use cans with 300+ ohm impedance. If you want a budget solution I think you'd probably be satisfied with the PA2V2 paired with your Portapros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back