Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #5,461 of 6,090
LOL and that thing is $340. Guess its good to see Tenores getting comparisons, no matter how unfair, to higher priced IEMs

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,462 of 6,090
Wow they raised the price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311362867142?rmvSB=true

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,463 of 6,090
  Wow they raised the price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311362867142?rmvSB=true

cool.gif
That's still pretty good considering they are $200 list.

But I didn't want to get this thread sidetracked. Standalone the Tenore is a GREAT earphone. When taken $$$ v.s. Performance they become an OUTSTANDING Earphone.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,465 of 6,090

Thanks for the links.
I think I will pass the LZ-A2 and will wait for Dunu's new phones, 3001 & 4001, otherwise I will order the DN-2000j

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #5,466 of 6,090

Thanks that works but I'd probably still run into the same customs issue.

Interesting that there are over 5000 posts in this thread, but not a single review on head-fi.  I guess it's because the Tenore came out before all of the current reviewers.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zero-audio-ear-stereo-headphone-carbo-tenore-zh-dx200-ct

Yeah I should just make a review and post a link to this thread lol

In all honesty I had no idea this thread was going to become so huge when I started it 2 and half years ago. Well it was either me or waynes world

as i said before,

If whats missing from the tenores is added by replacing the dynamic microdriver with a dual armature, the Doppio must be "touched by the gods"

I vaguely remember someone saying that the dopios were just different, and not necessarily better than the Tenores.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,469 of 6,090
Tenore is my favorite because it has beautiful, silky, airy vocals, tight, punchy bass, and wide soundstage.

ive read it in different forum, and it is spot on and i thought i would share it here. ive had tenores before thats exactly how they sound. cheers

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,470 of 6,090
If you could please,

The other reason would be that they seem much better build.

Better build that the Tenore?? Pah!

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #5,471 of 6,090
Doppio Mini-Review as requested from Aevum:

Build:

Heavier shell, a more substantial strain relief on driver side, same cable and headphone jack (which I very much dislike) as the Tenore.

Accessories:

A leather pouch and the usual silicon tips. The tips are the amongst the most uncomfortable and poor fitting tips I've ever used.

Sound:

(Stock Tips) Relatively flat response. Decent bass extension, more upper bass focused. Slight peak with the upper mids, sounds a bit shrill. Treble is rolled off. It's got the same silky smooth signature that's present on the Tenore and Duoza. Soundstage is shallow/flat, with a forward presentation.

(Foam Tips) Lower mids emphasized (sounds a little unnaturally thick to my ears), upper mids tamed with improved separation and soundstage. Midrange presence and response much improved. Treble roll off much more significant.

They sound their best with acoustic, strings and purely vocal tracks. But they do really poorly with rock, pop, edm etc, all the dynamic stuff. 

My Thoughts:

It's a dual armature setup utilizing two full range drivers and I personally don't hear any benefits from this setup. Maybe it's to improve efficiency and not having to deal with crossovers (I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong)? Isn't the point of incorporating multiple drivers to address the weak treble and bass extension of a balanced armature setup? Wouldn't a woofer plus a full range driver make more sense?

In fact, when comparing them to the ER4S, the Etymotics trounces the Doppio with a more linear bass response and a much more extended and accurate treble section even though it only uses a single armature design.

The Doppio also has the signature silky smooth presentation that Zero Audio puts in it's entire lineup. It works on the Tenore & Duoza, not with something that's suppose to sound flat and analytical. The accuracy, texture and transparency that's expected from a armature driver is missing because of the smoothness as it masks the details and nuances in the music.

So what you basically get from the Doppio is a typical balanced armature sound, mid-focused, rolled off on both ends that can easily be replicated with any single driver setup. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #5,472 of 6,090
ok, so no doppios for me.

btw, i´ve been A/Bing my Tenores against my Phonak PFE´s (black filter)

its like the Tenores are 98% of the way there but the phonak beats them by a nose in everything except bass fullness.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #5,473 of 6,090
finally got mine today! im using FAD Adagio 2 for 2 years as my main iem.. so i had my 1st impression as below for Tenore..
(for built, i think its really similar with my FAD Adagio 2, slim cable, looks fragile but its in fact very sturdy)

1st test is One Ok Rock - Notes and Words, it does sound similar to FAD Adagio 2 but with less focused bass i think. u hear more guitars strings n vocals proves to be more bright than adagio 2.. with adagio 2 bass is very tight n energetic, with tenore u have sufficient bass but the sound is more bright like sparkling a bit..

2nd test - The Last Of Us - Gustavo Santaolala*, the tenore really shines in this classical-ish theme song from the video game.. i really loved how the strings and all the details shines more as compared to with Adagio 2, while adagio 2 makes the song more energetic, tenore gives more relax n colorful sound..

3rd test - Jibun Rock by One Ok Rock, this is one of my fav song n is very bass n drum heavy.. i tested using this song just to see how tenore's bass n low performed n surprisingly im blown away.. i thought the tenore cannot produce good lows n more focussed on highs n mid, but im wrong! it sounded very similar to adagio 2, adagio 2 gives warmer tone but the tenore gives enough to enjoy..

im having this for barely 30 mins now n will enjoy more of my tenore haha.. btw disclaimer im not an audiophile or something, just enjoying music..

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5,475 of 6,090
can anyone please compare the tenore with fidue a65, kz ed9 and xiaomi hybrid ? i'm confused which ones to get. 

Tenores definitely sound better than ed9. There is a sense of roughness with ed9 that make them sound exciting for some, where as tenore has very smooth frequency response and relatively low distortion. Fidue might be good if you are looking for somethimg with a darker presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back