Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4,337 of 6,090
  Finally got some free time on my hands, gonna scout around and read some reviews to see what to upgrade my Carbo Tenores to. Altones are one of the contenders so I'll read some reviews and whatnot. I guess I'm just looking for something that has a similar sound signature to the Tenores but maybe improved sound and build quality. Comfort shouldn't be an issue as long as I stick to 'bullet' shaped housings (Tenores are stupidly comfortable to me because of their small size and simple shape). Any suggestions I should look at or do the Altones fit the bill?

Maybe SYD DGS-100 or future SYD DGS-200 ?

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #4,338 of 6,090

I can't believe it, but i lost them. haha. But I already posted a picture in the past here of the issue. It only got worse and they came out further...

They still worked before I lost them. haha. But the wire was worse than the photo. Nothing was holding it in but the connection to the driver. It was only a matter of time before it came loose I'm sure. Now where the heck did I store them? ha

I'm all over the ostry kc06 as my main iem. I use the er4s for critical listening. With the two I'm currently very content. And I'm a neutral frequency response whore. But the ostry works well for me and is only slightly non-linear, but in a very non-offensive way. Some people hear treble spikes, but I get minimal to no peaks with the right tips. It's more just a slight upper mid dip and slightly boosted bass. But nothing compared to other iems. Extremely durable. I've accidentally beat the crap out of my kc06 and they are not even phased.

I simply glued my Tenore's cable sheath back on when it came off the strain relief, and they've been going strong ever since. 

On the other hand, my oldest pair of KC06 lost connection on one side near the plug, and I've been only using them at home.

Not wanting to contradict your posts, just saying that you can have good or bad luck with any of these budget phones. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #4,341 of 6,090
I can't believe it, but i lost them. haha. But I already posted a picture in the past here of the issue. It only got worse and they came out further...

They still worked before I lost them. haha. But the wire was worse than the photo. Nothing was holding it in but the connection to the driver. It was only a matter of time before it came loose I'm sure. Now where the heck did I store them? ha

I'm all over the ostry kc06 as my main iem. I use the er4s for critical listening. With the two I'm currently very content. And I'm a neutral frequency response whore. But the ostry works well for me and is only slightly non-linear, but in a very non-offensive way. Some people hear treble spikes, but I get minimal to no peaks with the right tips. It's more just a slight upper mid dip and slightly boosted bass. But nothing compared to other iems. Extremely durable. I've accidentally beat the crap out of my kc06 and they are not even phased.

I simply glued my Tenore's cable sheath back on when it came off the strain relief, and they've been going strong ever since. 

On the other hand, my oldest pair of KC06 lost connection on one side near the plug, and I've been only using them at home.

Not wanting to contradict your posts, just saying that you can have good or bad luck with any of these budget phones. :smile_phones:  

You can, but there are clearly multitudes of people with bad tenores with one issue or another. Kc06, not the case. Even the best cable can fail, but that's not the same as a crappy durability.

I superglued my damaged cable and it failed again. I think the point where it enters the housing is simply not robust enough and is prone to bend enough to allow wear and separation. Oh well.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,343 of 6,090
Any comparisons between the Tenore, the VSonic VSD3S and the HiFiMan RE-400? I'm interested in picking up one of the three, and I'm looking for a fairly neutral sound with some lift in the low-end, to sound natural.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4,344 of 6,090
These look very interesting. How would they compare, in terms of sound alone, to the 

1. Audio Technica IM70
2. HiFiMan RE-400, and
3. VSonic VSD3S

I presently own a VSonic GR07 MkII, and coming from someone who works in music production with studio monitors and studio-grade headphones, I find the GR07 MkII lacking realistic bass weight and fullness in the low-end.

What are your thoughts?

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4,345 of 6,090
  These look very interesting. How would they compare, in terms of sound alone, to the 

1. Audio Technica IM70
2. HiFiMan RE-400, and
3. VSonic VSD3S

I presently own a VSonic GR07 MkII, and coming from someone who works in music production with studio monitors and studio-grade headphones, I find the GR07 MkII lacking realistic bass weight and fullness in the low-end.

What are your thoughts?

I'm very curious over which brand of studio monitor you're referencing your IEM to that you somehow favor the Audio Technica IM70 over the rest. Maybe some bass heavy studio monitor?

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #4,346 of 6,090
  I'm very curious over which brand of studio monitor you're referencing your IEM to that you somehow favor the Audio Technica IM70 over the rest. Maybe some bass heavy studio monitor?

I don't think you read my post properly. I haven't even heard the IM70 or the VSD3S. I was asking for opinions on them, and stating that my preference is realistic, neutral sound as reproduced by studio monitors (which in the IEM world seems to necessitate some level of low-end boost, not ruler-flat, in my experience).

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #4,347 of 6,090

1. Audio Technica IM70
2. HiFiMan RE-400, and
3. VSonic VSD3S

What are your thoughts?

I have not heard the RE-400 or the VSD3S, but I own the GR07 MKII and a IM70.   The IM70 is up there in quality with the GR07; and yes, they have more more bass weight and fullness.   From what I've read, I don't think the RE-400 will have bass you are looking for.  Also, I get the impression (from reading posts here and there) that the VSD3S is not as  good as the GR07, IM70 or the RE-400.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,348 of 6,090
I have not heard the RE-400 or the VSD3S, but I own the GR07 MKII and a IM70.   The IM70 is up there in quality with the GR07; and yes, they have more more bass weight and fullness.   From what I've read, I don't think the RE-400 will have bass you are looking for.  Also, I get the impression (from reading posts here and there) that the VSD3S is not as  good as the GR07, IM70 or the RE-400.

Thank you, that was very helpful! Presuming you've also used the Tenore, how does it stack up?

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4,349 of 6,090
Thank you, that was very helpful! Presuming you've also used the Tenore, how does it stack up?

Well, both the GR07  and the IM70 are technically better (not by a bunch)...but the Tenore is a whole lot of fun.    The Tenore signature is more similar to the IM70 than to the GR07 (they both have more bass).

The build quality of the Tenore, though, is crap.  If you want something that will last you longer, the IM70 is the one to get. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,350 of 6,090

Well, both the GR07  and the IM70 are technically better (not by a bunch)...but the Tenore is a whole lot of fun.    The Tenore signature is more similar to the IM70 than to the GR07 (they both have more bass).

The build quality of the Tenore, though, is crap.  If you want something that will last you longer, the IM70 is the one to get. 

Thank you, that was very helpful! Build quality is a definite concern, and I don't mind shelling out more for it, so I'll probably look harder at the IM70. The only downside I keep reading about the IM70 is that the top-end is a bit rolled-off and doesn't really extend all that far.

While I have your attention, do you have any recommendations for an IEM that's largely neutral (especially in the mids and treble), but with a modest bass lift to help bass instruments sound more natural, excellent detail retrieval, good isolation and good build quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back