Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,961 of 6,090
  Yikes....there had to
Yikes...there just had to be a catch huh...? 

What are some problems? Should I start looking at different IEM's at this point because of this flaw? Maybe just get a squaretrade warrenty to offset the problems?

maybe I should point out that I plan to get the DX210 Basso's and not the tenores..

Bassos don't seem to have the three issues of the Tenore mentioned before and below. It is quite a bit bassier though if you like that. 

Hi, I'm currently in search for a comfy iem that can replace my broken vsd1s. I was ready to buy the ostry kc06a but the seller I found suddenly said that it was out of stuck and will restock next month. I was waiting, reading reviews and all then suddenly this came under my radar. I listen mostly to my chem, blink 182, coldplay, yellowcard, nujabes, and some edm's and dnb's. Which would satisfy my taste, tenore or basso? Can you sleep with it sideways?

It is extremely comfy and lightweight! But I don't think it would be very good for sleeping on your side. It sticks out, and there's a noticeable pressure increase if you lay on your side. We have similar music tastes, well kinda, and I think the Tenore is a great all-arounder, the best I've tried so far. I think the Basso would be too bassy for my tastes, but it has less issues from what I've read.

That said, all the tests conducted here and ongoing increasing knowledge of the Tenores' problems(whether it be TTS or cable build quality or bass variance between pairs because of foam on the inside) limits a recommendation right now to a certain extent.

Just based on sound I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed. But I would hesitate to fully recommend it because of the build quality and not fully solved channel imbalance issues. I have not had any problems yet though.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,962 of 6,090
Which foam tips fit the tenore?

I've been getting varied treble response, from the soft treble some describe to amazing jaw dropping accuracy. I'm wondering if perhaps moisture on the mesh could be my problem? Attenuating certain highs? It's driving me crazy. Sometimes, side by side, the kc06 is definitely better overall and then other times the tenore is better, that's a big fluctuation in my mind.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,963 of 6,090
Update on ongoing TTS experiment with cotton placed in the barrel of the Tenore: after over one hour of continuous listening there is still no channel imbalance and sound is still normal. Listening experiment was carried out at the gym for maximum condensation effect (although I don't sweat at the gym). Now back at home and sound has continued as normal.

This is definitely not normal for my Tenore.

Results could be one of two possibilities. First, I'm being more careful about the over-the-ear fit by making sure no part of the barrel is obstructed, especially the vent. Previously, a small part of the end of the barrel by the vent may have been barely touching my ear, partially blocking the vent. Second, the cotton could be absorbing extra condensation that would otherwise cling to the driver or foam on the back vent, something like James' previously stated theory.

It's hard to say which option is more likely. Could the imbalance have been caused this whole time by improper fit and just barely blocking the bass vent? It's possible.

Is anyone getting imbalance with a cable down configuration? Tbh I can't remember if I've been able to reproduce the problem cable down. Been too busy lately with real life lol.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'll leave the cotton in for a while. Still listening and sound is still normal. Hmm. I'll take your advice and change it back after a week and try this same fit. If there is still no channel imbalance we'll know it was the fit. If there is channel imbalance then we'll know it was condensation.

Surprisingly I haven't noticed any changes in the highs. I'm not using the mesh filters. Things sound very clear and defined even with long listening sessions. Same small complaints about attack and decay still apply. FR is glorious.

Thanks for your efforts @gnarlsagan! I know I've stated in an earlier post that the mesh doesn't change the sound, but after having opened / closed to my bassy "guinea pig" pair numerous times and listened to it with / without mesh, I've noticed that the mesh seems to have a slight damping / smoothing effect on treble. I've since then replaced my mesh with a small piece of cotton and found that its damping / smoothing effect on treble is pretty similar. So that's probably the reason why FR is still glorious. I'm also thinking, that if that piece of cotton gets clogged over time, it's not a big deal to simply replace it with a new one.

Looking forward to further testing... at the end of the day, the only unsolved mystery that remains might be why you don't sweat at the gym.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #3,964 of 6,090
I'd like to understand what the moisture is doing to the driver. James mentioned ClieOS bringing it up in relation to the MH1 but I don't recall him explaining how.

Sadly, I don't remember that the reason has ever been explained in detail. FWIW, here's my super-wild amateurish guess: we've seen that those microdrivers have a metal plate with only a tiny opening in front of the diaphragm, which means their sound tuning relies heavily on reflections from the inside of that plate. Moisture condensation on that surface might mess quite severely with its reflective characteristics, thus rendering the gain effect of that design void. This might also explain, why common dynamic drivers don't exhibit that kind of condensation issues.

Like I said though, just a very wild guess...

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #3,965 of 6,090
  Hi, I'm currently in search for a comfy iem that can replace my broken vsd1s. I was ready to buy the ostry kc06a but the seller I found suddenly said that it was out of stuck and will restock next month. I was waiting, reading reviews and all then suddenly this came under my radar. I listen mostly to my chem, blink 182, coldplay, yellowcard, nujabes, and some edm's and dnb's. Which would satisfy my taste, tenore or basso? Can you sleep with it sideways?

I can easily sleep sideways with either of the Tenores or the KC06's (definitely not with the Bassos though). I like to fall asleep to John 00 Flemming trance, and I prefer the sound of  trance more with the KC06's. An added bonus is that they just work properly (ie no TTS). So, you get the idea what I recommend (or maybe the KC06A).

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,966 of 6,090

I can easily sleep sideways with either of the Tenores or the KC06's (definitely not with the Bassos though). I like to fall asleep to John 00 Flemming trance, and I prefer the sound of  trance more with the KC06's. An added bonus is that they just work properly (ie no TTS). So, you get the idea what I recommend (or maybe the KC06A).

That's the hardcore raver living on in you Wayne. All those 72 long hour rave parties leaving earworms.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #3,967 of 6,090

That's the hardcore raver living on in you Wayne. All those 72 long hour rave parties leaving earworms.

Lol! Yeah well you can download about 100 x 2 hour episodes of Joof's Global Trance Grooves from that link (and a new episode every month). So I have approx 200 hours of it on shuffle. So for me, falling asleep is like a box of trance chocolates - earworms be damned!
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #3,968 of 6,090
Bassos don't seem to have the three issues of the Tenore mentioned before and below. It is quite a bit bassier though if you like that.

It is extremely comfy and lightweight! But I don't think it would be very good for sleeping on your side. It sticks out, and there's a noticeable pressure increase if you lay on your side. We have similar music tastes, well kinda, and I think the Tenore is a great all-arounder, the best I've tried so far. I think the Basso would be too bassy for my tastes, but it has less issues from what I've read.

That said, all the tests conducted here and ongoing increasing knowledge of the Tenores' problems(whether it be TTS or cable build quality or bass variance between pairs because of foam on the inside) limits a recommendation right now to a certain extent.

Just based on sound I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed. But I would hesitate to fully recommend it because of the build quality and not fully solved channel imbalance issues. I have not had any problems yet though.

Noted. Thanks.

Quote:

May I ask why you can't sleep sideways with Basso's? Isn't their difference in housing only in width, not length? Unless its that big that Tenore's can be inserted deeper and can't on Basso's.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,969 of 6,090
May I ask why you can't sleep sideways with Basso's? Isn't their difference in housing only in width, not length? Unless its that big that Tenore's can be inserted deeper and can't on Basso's.

The bassos are about the size of a bullet. They stick out of my ears. No way I can sleep on my side with them. The tenores are about the size of a tic tac (well, a bit larger) and they can be angled up or down so that they are not sticking straight out.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,970 of 6,090
Which foam tips fit the tenore?

The 200s.

This might also explain, why common dynamic drivers don't exhibit that kind of condensation issues.  
Like I said though, just a very wild guess...

If we could keep the Tenore at the right temperature, I guess we shouldn't have any condensation issue.

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #3,971 of 6,090
I go to sleep with this playing on my GR07 BE. Can you imagine my dreams. :grimacing:
http://m.soundcloud.com/beatsantique

Jk'ing, I don't much have dreams anymore. Sucks cuz they used to be every day, vivid, and I could control what I wanted to happen(like flying) when I realized I was dreaming. If only I had fallen for Nekomimi when I could still do this.... cursed world!

Great job G'man!

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,972 of 6,090

If you were me and you were looking for a solid IEM that wouldn't start failing after a year...would you still get the Basso's or not? Are there some reoccurring problems with the basso's that I should be worried about? I'm really just making sure I know everything before I buy something, and clearly you guys have some experience I know you wouldn't mind passing around for somebody who is slightly tight on money at the moment..

I'd rather spend $100 now than spend $50 on basso's and then $100 again on another IEM if the basso's fail..

Also what is this TTS acronym that everybody is using?

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #3,973 of 6,090
The shape of the KC06A's don't look like they'd fit well with my ears or I'd have bought them by now. I love the Tenores because they're just a simple, small shape that I have no comfort issues with and the sound is amazing but I can't keep having this sort of thing happening. It happened to my Bassos too (One channel being imbalanced) although it took a lot longer for it to happen with those than it did with my Tenores.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3,974 of 6,090
Here, allow me to help this young chap MANGO. Buy nothing, run away now, chain your wallet to your body, watch your six, never fall in love, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Stay frosty, rescue crew is on its way... SOON™

TTS=Time To Sad-face

Ugh, I need a break, maybe it's time for some anime.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #3,975 of 6,090
  If you were me and you were looking for a solid IEM that wouldn't start failing after a year...would you still get the Basso's or not? Are there some reoccurring problems with the basso's that I should be worried about? I'm really just making sure I know everything before I buy something, and clearly you guys have some experience I know you wouldn't mind passing around for somebody who is slightly tight on money at the moment..

I'd rather spend $100 now than spend $50 on basso's and then $100 again on another IEM if the basso's fail..

Also what is this TTS acronym that everybody is using?

If you want a bassy IEM, I'd skip the Basso and get the Xiaomi Piston or Monster Gratitude

Users who are viewing this thread

Back