Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #4,081 of 6,090
Yeah, There is actually a peak in the upper midrange with both of these ~2.4-2.5. The difference is that in the case of the Ostry this peak is followed by a fairly large and lengthy dip. The Tenore isn't slightly more linear either, it's a lot more linear. The Ostry is smartly tuned so it's less noticeable than it usually is, but it's full of peaks and dips. I can't agree more about the attack and decay though, the difference in transducer speed is night and day and it's also the reason i like the KC06 almost as much as the Tenore, because its tonality is nowhere near as good (tonality is always one of my primary concerns with audio gear).

If anyone is interested in a more in depth comparison between the two, i posted this in the Ostry thread ten days ago.

Since i haven't listened to the GR07 for more than a year i avoided bringing it up in my comparison, but going by memory i'd say that the Ostry is as fast as the Vsonic, but less linear and tonally correct. The Vsonic also has more depth to its soundstage and a more accurate (but still slightly flawed) imaging. Where the KC06 beats it is in the treble, which isn't perfect, but it's a lot less fatiguing. I've ordered another GR07 hoping to find a way to tame the 6.5khz peak somehow. I should have it in my hands in a couple of days, so i will be in a better position to offer comparisons.

I agree with everything eke said sep for the scoop that I don't remember hearing and the bass being tighter. Maybe the Tenores sub bass contrast made me recall it as tighter when it's not but it seems I'll never get the loaner KC06 from that chick known as "family". :angry:

I know not what I've done wrong...

It's your niece right? It's to be expected. I've spoiled my sister so much that i am sure her future husband will be cursing me silently every day. It's like i can't pronounce "No" when i am talking to her 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #4,082 of 6,090
@SkiesOfAzel
Just read your KC06 and Tenore comparison in the other thread. Very nice! I agree with almost all of it. I think I hear the Ostry bass as softer than you but otherwise everything else seems pretty spot on; excellent read.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #4,083 of 6,090
I go back and forth, but if i had to choose one, it would probably be the kc06 only because a) i've had nothing wrong with mh kc06 ever and b) the kc06 really does nail attack, transients, clarity, etc. It isn't as linear, but to me the overall tonality is very good and had a certain depth to it I love. But "overall" i really think the tenore, mh1 modded, and kc06 are all in very close proximity.

But midbass! Treble peak! Using the KC06 with Joe Bloggs viper4android profile really showed me how warm they are in comparison to a reference target.

Both of these things exist, but i hear them as slight. But yes, tenore's ideal response, and even mh1 modded is superior in my opinion. But my kc06 sounds consistent with no imbalances and great dynamics, separation, transients, etc.

I will have to try cotton in my tenore to see if that repairs my ever softening treble. Although that won't repair the wire hanging out of thr housing :-/

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4,084 of 6,090
@SkiesOfAzel
Just read your KC06 and Tenore comparison in the other thread. Very nice! I agree with almost all of it. I think I hear the Ostry bass as softer than you but otherwise everything else seems pretty spot on; excellent read.

Thanks!
Softer, meaning that it lacks impact or softer meaning it lacks body? In the first case i think impact (attack note reproduction really) is on par with the GR07 which does very well there. I could be mistaken though, memory is very unreliable with sound unfortunately. I will get back to you on this in a few days. The recessed lower mids can of course decrease the impression of impact in some cases but that in my mind is more of a psycho-acoustic effect.

This is not the only weird psycho-acoustic side effect of the KC06s tuning i've noticed. The lack of depth in the soundstage which is imo caused by all those peaks and dips, can sometimes give the impression of congestion despite the fact that the KC06 actually resolves every note as it should.

If you are talking about bass body, i see where you are coming from. Sub bass is a little rolled off but it's also tip dependent. The tips i use offer deep insertion and provide an excellent seal, so the roll off is mitigated somewhat.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4,086 of 6,090
@SkiesOfAzel

Thanks!
Softer, meaning that it lacks impact or softer meaning it lacks body? In the first case i think impact (attack note reproduction really) is on par with the GR07 which does very well there. I could be mistaken though, memory is very unreliable with sound unfortunately. I will get back to you on this in a few days. The recessed lower mids can of course decrease the impression of impact in some cases but that in my mind is more of a psycho-acoustic effect.

This is not the only weird psycho-acoustic side effect of the KC06s tuning i've noticed. The lack of depth in the soundstage which is imo caused by all those peaks and dips, can sometimes give the impression of congestion despite the fact that the KC06 actually resolves every note as it should.

If you are talking about bass body, i see where you are coming from. Sub bass is a little rolled off but it's also tip dependent. The tips i use offer deep insertion and provide an excellent seal, so the roll off is mitigated somewhat.

By softer I mean somewhat diffused, soft, hazy edged. The Tenore bass, while having a lot more decay, had a harder, more defined edge to the bass.

The Ostry sub roll off didn't bother me. Seemed rather minor.

After doing a lot of back to back with a bass heavy Tenore , a 'reference' Tenore and the UERM, I can hear what James444 and Vwinter have described a while back. A bit of masking caused from the extended sub bass decay in the Tenore.

I will echo you, gnarlsagan and other, the Tenore tonality is fantastic and what keeps me coming back. Tonality is the #1 criteria for me personally. After that is frequency response, in particular 3 aspects:
- relatively neutral response; perhaps a slight bass boost of 3 to 4db over diffuse field flat.
- minimized scoops in upper midrange, preferably flat here or a slight bump is ok. This is important to me for all the distortion guitar based music I listen to.
- linear treble; not necessarily neutral per se but devoid of peaks and unevenness. Peaky treble is a huge annoyance for me and something hard for me to ignore.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #4,087 of 6,090
By softer I mean somewhat diffused, soft, hazy edged. The Tenore bass, while having a lot more decay, had a harder, more defined edge to the bass.

Thanks for the articulation, now i get what you are describing. I think that this is caused by two factors. Low mids recession reduces bass notes perceived definition and the sub bass has a little more decay than it should (probably why they chose to roll it off).

I will echo you, gnarlsagan and other, the Tenore tonality is fantastic and what keeps me coming back. Tonality is the #1 criteria for me personally. After that is frequency response, in particular 3 aspects:
- relatively neutral response; perhaps a slight bass boost of 3 to 4db over diffuse field flat.
- minimized scoops in upper midrange, preferably flat here or a slight bump is ok. This is important to me for all the distortion guitar based music I listen to.
- linear treble; not necessarily neutral per se but devoid of peaks and unevenness. Peaky treble is a huge annoyance for me and something hard for me to ignore.

Yes, we share the exact same preferences in sound signature. I knew that beforehand though, that's why i bought the Tenore initially, your recommendation convinced me i would like it a lot.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #4,088 of 6,090
@SkiesOfAzel

Thanks!

The Ostry sub roll off didn't bother me. Seemed rather minor.

After doing a lot of back to back with a bass heavy Tenore , a 'reference' Tenore and the UERM, I can hear what James444 and Vwinter have described a while back. A bit of masking caused from the extended sub bass decay in the Tenore.

Agreeeeeeed. Perfectly neutral to me is great, but really my main criteria overall is no major dips or peaks, especially in the treble, although i can't stand them anywhere.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4,090 of 6,090
Have any of you guys listened to the ATH M50(X)? Thoughts?

I thought the M50 was pretty crappy. The GR07 bests it even in raw soundstage size, not to talk of details, speed, etc.

I heard the M50X isn't much better, but take that with a grain of salt since I haven't heard the X myself.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4,091 of 6,090
My good pair of Tenores has finally succumbed to channel imbalance. The right driver is way softer in volume and the whole sound is way less defined. It's been a good run, but I think I'll have to abandon these.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #4,092 of 6,090
Did anyone tried using tips with wide openings?
I used the included tipps from my KC06A and it did improve the sound a lot for me.
It defuses the treble by little and the bass comes more to light, making the Tenore's a little bit warmer sounding,which I like.
Soundstage seems better too.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #4,093 of 6,090
My good pair of Tenores has finally succumbed to channel imbalance. The right driver is way softer in volume and the whole sound is way less defined. It's been a good run, but I think I'll have to abandon these.

After five days of perfect Tenore listening, I might recommend pulling off the mesh grills and putting a bit of cotton in the barrel. I'm not yet 100% sure that this will fix all channel imbalance issues, but five straight listening sessions without channel imbalance wasn't possible with this particular Tenore before I removed the mesh grills.

In a few more days I'll be more confident that the problem has been solved.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,094 of 6,090
After five days of perfect Tenore listening, I might recommend pulling off the mesh grills and putting a bit of cotton in the barrel. I'm not yet 100% sure that this will fix all channel imbalance issues, but five straight listening sessions without channel imbalance wasn't possible with this particular Tenore before I removed the mesh grills.

In a few more days I'll be more confident that the problem has been solved.

I'll give that a try. What did you use to pull out the filter and what kind of cotton did you put in?

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,095 of 6,090
  I'll give that a try. What did you use to pull out the filter and what kind of cotton did you put in?

I poked through it with a needle and then pulled it out with the needle. Unfortunately this seems to damage the mesh so it can't be put back. It should be possible to pry at the edges of the mesh with a needle until you can pry it up from the side, but you will need more patience for this. There is a bit of adhesive under the mesh around the outside edge. I just pulled it all off, but you could realistically just keep it there.

I used a very very small amount of normal cotton, and pushed it into the barrel with a toothpick. Sound has been absolutely phenomenal and consistent so far.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back