Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #4,066 of 6,090
Then you can hear (or sense :p ) the lack of enough note weight.

^BassHead!

Do not listen to this tyrant brotherin! He shall lead you astray! Mud, total absolute mud is what he seeks! Flat is justice! Flat is right!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #4,067 of 6,090
Quote:
Only flaw among others
wink.gif

Now you are just mean 
tongue.gif
. I am talking about serious flaws. Speed affects a lot of things, most of the issues you are having with the Tenore are caused by the slow transducer.

It does piano really well until it hits the lower octaves. Then you can hear (or sense 
tongue.gif
 ) the lack of enough note weight.

Everything that hits low has a few issues with the Tenore, i won't disagree with you there. Still, tonality is so on point that the end result is very good, better than many other iems that have more impact down below.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #4,068 of 6,090
Now you are just mean :p . I am talking about serious flaws. Speed affects a lot of things, most of the issues you are having with the Tenore are caused by the slow transducer.

Everything that hits low has a few issues with the Tenore, i won't disagree with you there. Still, tonality is so on point that the end result is very good, better than many other iems that have more impact down below.

Tbh I don't think there's anything out there that beats the Tenore's tonality. Maybe a custom UERM.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4,069 of 6,090
Tbh I don't think there's anything out there that beats the Tenore's tonality. Maybe a custom UERM.

Timbre, detail, clarity, imaging most likely, but tonality is where the Tenore shines tbh.

^BassHead!

Do not listen to this tyrant brotherin! He shall lead you astray! Mud, total absolute mud is what he seeks! Flat is justice! Flat is right!

I LOLed.

Not amplitude. For example, the Rockets have less bass than the Tenore, but they can literally shake when needed and so cleanly. There is substance and tactility behind it. It's very impressive tbh.

Now you are just mean :p . I am talking about serious flaws. Speed affects a lot of things, most of the issues you are having with the Tenore are caused by the slow transducer.

I'm a meany. I think speed in the sense of Attack and Decay is hard to quantify in terms of it's affect and my about to discern and process it.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #4,070 of 6,090
Physics question:
Is it really possible for the sustain portion to be perfectly level over any extended time?

Yes and no....instruments like the Hammond B3 organs have a linear sustain level until you release the note that you're playing. Synthesized electronic sounds can be synthesized to have that same level of sustain envelope too. Acoustic instruments eg. guitars & pianos have a downward slope sustain envelope due to the nature of the acoustic strings that are plucked or struck. It does not have an infinity value of sustain unlike electronically synthesized sounds.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,072 of 6,090
Timbre, detail, clarity, imaging most likely, but tonality is where the Tenore shines tbh.
I LOLed.

Not amplitude. For example, the Rockets have less bass than the Tenore, but they can literally shake when needed and so cleanly. There is substance and tactility behind it. It's very impressive tbh.
I'm a meany. I think speed in the sense of Attack and Decay is hard to quantify in terms of it's affect and my about to discern and process it.

Tonality is the biggest piece of the pie imo. It's the only thing that needs to be correct. If instruments or voices sound too thick or thin it's game over to me. Everything else is important insofar as tonality is spot on.

But I need to hear more about your views on the Rockets vs Tenore... Now that I think about it, did we ever get a formal Tenore review from you?

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #4,073 of 6,090
The KC06 tour ended this week, and they're back in my hands.

I must say, I think the KC06 is hands down better than the Tenore.

My reasoning:

1. The Tenore and KC06 are fairly equal in terms of general detailing.

2. The Tenore has slightly better bass extension

3. The Tenore is slightly more "linear" in that it's devoid of spikes.

4. Both IEMs have top tier levels of refinement to my ears.

However,

1. The KC06 is so much better when it comes to portraying attack and decay. The Tenore, in comparison, sounds muted and dull because of the way it tends to almost stifle transients. When given time, one's mind can adjust to the Tenore's presentation. Still, when switching to the KC06, it's as if I'm exiting the basement and heading upstairs into a room extremely well lit with windows.

2. I stated this when I first heard the Tenore, but I think there's a dip somewhere in the upper mids. It adds to the dim-lit basement effect I get from the Tenore. Not only does the KC06 lift this "veil" (I used quotations, because it doesn't actually veil any general detail), it adds better transient portrayal to create a sonic picture that the Tenore can't quite keep up with. The treble on the KC06 is also spicier, lending an even greater sense of air, and the bass is firmer and more defined in its initial punch.

Kanye%20West%20Interrupts%20Taylor%20Swift's%20VMA%20Acceptance%20Speech%20to%20Praise%20Beyonce.jpg

kanye-west-2010-vma-thisisthedream.com-taylor-swift.jpg

Tenore, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish...but

kanye_sq-05bdaab2377a112f57d01d6970a03f9b7102523b-s6-c30.jpg

The KC06 has some of the greatest mids of all time...

OF ALL TIME.

I'm talking gobs and gobs of detail, all delivered with the buttery goodness of Aunt Jemima pancakes and syrup. Not the stack that it overly thick and splattered with syrup, but that single fluffy pancake that makes you beg for more.

4. In conclusion, the KC06 is easily my preferred choice.

kanye-shrug.jpg

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #4,074 of 6,090
eke2k6 glad to see someone else who hears what I heard. Though I prefer a more robust lower end so the Kc06a for me. :grin:

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4,075 of 6,090

My reasoning:

However,

1. The KC06 is so much better when it comes to portraying attack and decay. The Tenore, in comparison, sounds muted and dull because of the way it tends to almost stifle transients. When given time, one's mind can adjust to the Tenore's presentation. Still, when switching to the KC06, it's as if I'm exiting the basement and heading upstairs into a room extremely well lit with windows.

2. I stated this when I first heard the Tenore, but I think there's a dip somewhere in the upper mids. It adds to the dim-lit basement effect I get from the Tenore. Not only does the KC06 lift this "veil" (I used quotations, because it doesn't actually veil any general detail), it adds better transient portrayal to create a sonic picture that the Tenore can't quite keep up with. The treble on the KC06 is also spicier, lending an even greater sense of air, and the bass is firmer and more defined in its initial punch.

Kanye%20West%20Interrupts%20Taylor%20Swift's%20VMA%20Acceptance%20Speech%20to%20Praise%20Beyonce.jpg

OF ALL TIME.

I'm talking gobs and gobs of detail, all delivered with the buttery goodness of Aunt Jemima pancakes and syrup. Not the stack that it overly thick and splattered with syrup, but that single fluffy pancake that makes you beg for more.

kanye-shrug.jpg

I gotta admit, I'm with ya all the way Kanyeke (and that's without factoring in TTS).

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,076 of 6,090
I go back and forth, but if i had to choose one, it would probably be the kc06 only because a) i've had nothing wrong with mh kc06 ever and b) the kc06 really does nail attack, transients, clarity, etc. It isn't as linear, but to me the overall tonality is very good and had a certain depth to it I love. But "overall" i really think the tenore, mh1 modded, and kc06 are all in very close proximity.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,077 of 6,090

My reasoning:

However,

OF ALL TIME.

kanye-shrug.jpg

^
Spoken like a true VSsonic GR07 fan boi, BUT didn't i already posted ad nauseam that folks that love their GR07 will without a doubt REALLY dig these Ostriches cuz of their numerous similarities??? GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #4,078 of 6,090
I go back and forth, but if i had to choose one, it would probably be the kc06 only because a) i've had nothing wrong with mh kc06 ever and b) the kc06 really does nail attack, transients, clarity, etc. It isn't as linear, but to me the overall tonality is very good and had a certain depth to it I love. But "overall" i really think the tenore, mh1 modded, and kc06 are all in very close proximity.

But midbass! Treble peak! Using the KC06 with Joe Bloggs viper4android profile really showed me how warm they are in comparison to a reference target.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4,079 of 6,090
Lol, there is definitely no upper midrange scoop in the Tenore, that's why I chose it over the kc06. I definitely however hear the scoop in the kc06 that Tyll measured between 2k-4k.. It's most obvious in distortion rock guitars. The kc06 was just too smooth through there for my taste and that's why I let it go when I had both together. I hear a slight bump in that region with the Tenore.

Anyway I agree with the kc06 being buttery smooth. Vocals sound pretty engaging due to that tuning choice. It's very nice and also a 'giant killer' of sorts if you will, in that I feel it otherwise outperforms much costlier sets for pennies on the dollar.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #4,080 of 6,090
I agree with everything eke said sep for the scoop that I don't remember hearing and the bass being tighter. Maybe the Tenores sub bass contrast made me recall the KC06s as looser when it's not but it seems I'll never get the loaner KC06 from that chick known as "family". :angry:

I know not what I've done wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back