Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,037 of 6,090

This is a travesty. You must hear the ER4S my friend.

No it's not travesty, if you remember I'm a huge fan of the ER4S myself until I heard something better. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours my friend. My best advice is to have an open mind and go and experience what you have not experienced and learn from it. To be honest, I'm always learning new things everyday as I listen more.....no one can claim that they know everything and their opinion is the ultimate mantra to the audio world but to call other people's opinion a travesty, you sound like someone who knows everything.....hmmm.....the point of being in this community is to share your experiences so that all of us can discover new things in a constructive and collective manner. Let's encourage growth and not stagnate it by having our ego taking over. I recall many who have the sour grape syndrome.

LOL. Gnarl's being sarcastic. A trait that strangely enough, seems to escape many a person on this forum. He's a friend, we joke sometimes :wink:

No. This is an audiophile forum. This is serious stuff. There's no room for sarcasm. None.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #4,038 of 6,090
No. This is an audiophile forum. This is serious stuff. There's no room for sarcasm. None.

My sincere apologies if I interpret it the wrong way, my fellow Tenoreans. In fact I'm very impressed with the reference sounding Tenore myself but of course it's definitely not the be all end all giant killer many claim it to be. For the price it's definitely one of the best IEMs for the asking price....heck....even 2 or 3 times it's asking price. It truly put many over priced IEMs to shame. This clearly shows that the gap of TOTL IEMs are getting narrower which is good for consumers but truth is the Tenore has not reach the level to totally kill the TOTL IEMs yet but it's getting closer.

The bottom line for most is if the asking price of TOTL IEMs worth it? The only answer I can give is Yes & No. Yes if you're looking for what's missing from the budget IEMs and No if you're just a casual listener who listens to music while commuting to and from work. To sum it all up, it depends on what you're willing to pay for what you're looking for.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,039 of 6,090

My sincere apologies if I interpret it the wrong way, my fellow Tenoreans. In fact I'm very impressed with the reference sounding Tenore myself but of course it's definitely not the be all end all giant killer many claim it to be. For the price it's definitely one of the best IEMs for the asking price....heck....even 2 or 3 times it's asking price. It truly put many over priced IEMs to shame. This clearly shows that the gap of TOTL IEMs are getting narrower which is good for consumers but truth is the Tenore has not reach the level to totally kill the TOTL IEMs yet but it's getting closer.

The bottom line for most is if the asking price of TOTL IEMs worth it? The only answer I can give is Yes & No. Yes if you're looking for what's missing from the budget IEMs and No if you're just a casual listener who listens to music while commuting to and from work. To sum it all up, it depends on what you're willing to pay for what you're looking for.

You do realize i was being sarcastic, right? :wink:

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #4,040 of 6,090
Well, I guess my Tenores finally decided to go on me. Both drivers are quiet and distorted sounding. I'm thinking that when the batteries went dead on my Pico Power, the thump might have killed both drivers instantly. Time to look for something to replace them with I guess. They were excellent for my purpose too.. dang it!

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #4,043 of 6,090
Try removing the mesh filter and see if that does anything, my left filter looks perfectly fine but it somehow blocks 70% of the sound. Still trying to figure out a way to fix this. 

My left driver on my Tenores has a slight driver flex. Is driver flex usually a guarantee of imminent failure, or is it generally acceptable? They sound fantastic though. The MH1s sound very similar to the Tenores.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #4,044 of 6,090
  Well, I guess my Tenores finally decided to go on me. Both drivers are quiet and distorted sounding. I'm thinking that when the batteries went dead on my Pico Power, the thump might have killed both drivers instantly. Time to look for something to replace them with I guess. They were excellent for my purpose too.. dang it!

Yep, it's a damn shame. Love the sound but I don't even want to bother getting these replaced only for it to happen again. Time to move onto another IEM I think.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,046 of 6,090
today I finally got my hands on the Tenore and my first impressions are very good. Very clear and natural sounding. Less bass than MH1, but still acceptable for my taste
Does burn-in do anything to these phones?

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,047 of 6,090
Yep, it's a damn shame. Love the sound but I don't even want to bother getting these replaced only for it to happen again. Time to move onto another IEM I think.

I've been having great luck so far by taking out the mesh grills and stuffing a small amount of cotton in the barrel. My Tenore used to reliably develop channel imbalance and reduced volume, but lately hasn't shown any signs of either. I need more listening to confirm these findings but so far so good.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,048 of 6,090
I've been having great luck so far by taking out the mesh grills and stuffing a small amount of cotton in the barrel. My Tenore used to reliably develop channel imbalance and reduced volume, but lately hasn't shown any signs of either. I need more listening to confirm these findings but so far so good.

How do you take out the mesh grills?

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,049 of 6,090
  ... My pair sounds full, not hollow and it has decent impact. The only thing i'd say is a little off is attack speed, which might also be how i perceive the existence of sub bass, not all my pairs go that low. I've compared it against 4 iems and 2 cans and attack speed aside i'd say they sound fine. There is also fit, ear canal shape and acoustic perception to consider, but it could also be unit variance. When my 2nd pair arrives i am willing to send you my current one to test if you like. We both live in Europe so it should be an easy process.

I feel a bit unsure about how to interpret "attack speed" (first time I read it, I think...). Is there some other way you can express it to make the meaning more clear to me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #4,050 of 6,090
  I feel a bit unsure about how to interpret "attack speed" (first time I read it, I think...). Is there some other way you can express it to make the meaning more clear to me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Notes can be divided into four parts, attack, decay, sustain and release. A sound usually starts fast, increasing loudness abruptly. This is attack. Then loudness starts to drop till it stabilizes. This is decay. The stable part of the note is called sustain. When the stable part starts getting reduced we have the release of the note, which lasts till the note loudness returns to zero.

Those four parts are called transients and they help define the timbre of an instrument along with the tone of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back