Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,901 of 6,090
  To be fair the Sony MH1 are so good that people recable them for 100$+.
Not sure how they would compare to the likes of Ostry KC06,Tenore and Havi though.

^
The Sony MH1s can hang esp. with the Tenores since they share so many sonic and technical similarities, but the Tenores out classes it with their amazing mico details due to their better resolution in the mids along with a slightly better extended highs. Lets just say the tenores are a leaner, meaner version of the MH1s that is more refinely smooth yet with better extension up top. The MH1s on the other hand is more fun sounding due to their bigger/ bolder bass yet still has great clarity in the mids and good extension in the highs all wrapped together by a nicely smooth presentation without sounding overly warm unlike the piss_tons. The similarities between the MH1 and the tenores is why i understand the TOTLer folks hyped them both to the high heavens. haha

The Ostry C06 on the hand is a completely different beast due to their much better textured lows that has a good balance of mid bass punch/slam to sub bass rumble, as well has a more crisp sound that is less smooth from top to bottom compared to the likes of the MH1/tenores. 

I have no idea about the Havi though....

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3,902 of 6,090

^
The Sony MH1s can hang esp. with the Tenores since they share so many sonic and technical similarities, but the Tenores out classes it with their amazing mico details due to their better resolution in the mids along with a slightly better extended highs. Lets just say the tenores are a leaner, meaner version of the MH1s that is more refinely smooth yet with better extension up top. The MH1s on the other hand is more fun sounding due to their bigger/ bolder bass yet still has great clarity in the mids and good extension in the highs all wrapped together by a nicely smooth presentation without sounding overly warm unlike the piss_tons. The similarities between the MH1 and the tenores is why i understand the TOTLer folks hyped them both to the high heavens. haha

The Ostry C06 on the hand is a completely different beast due to their much better textured lows that has a good balance of mid bass punch/slam to sub bass rumble, as well has a more crisp sound that is less smooth from top to bottom compared to the likes of the MH1/tenores. 

I have no idea about the Havi though....

Thanks for your comprehensive comparison. I can see people even prefer the Sony MH1 over the Tenore, because of the additional fun they provide.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,903 of 6,090

Thanks for your comprehensive comparison. I can see people even prefer the Sony MH1 over the Tenore, because of the additional fun they provide.

^
yeppp for me nowadays musicality is key so even though other IEMs such as the DN1000s i have tried is technically "better" than the Ostry KC06 i enjoy the Ostrys much more in the end, same could be said about the VSonic GR07 BEs these days.....
ph34r.gif

900x900px-LL-a9508f08_8066a319-a201-4a8a-95a4-cd67f31ad11f.jpeg

... guess a fine balance between musicality and technicality is the WIN WIN combination??? No implying that Berry Soetoro is any of those things why of course. haha
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,904 of 6,090
I would think a wet sponge in front of a driver might have a fairly large effect as well? I know Ety's lose volume when the front filter clogs up from moisture, etc over time.

I just don't see how it can be moisture when someone reports it happening within 5 minutes of insertion. But perhaps it hasn't dried from the previous session? Since there is very little foam in a Tenore (none in front), what are we proposing the moisture/condensation is doing to the driver?

Could you not have pressurization of a driver without noticeable vacuum seal? Basically a driver flex upon insertion and never bounces back due to enough pressure formed in the seal. Those are tiny holes in the front and back plates. Idk. I vote gnarlsagan to begin testing both theories immediately!
+2 :p
Get to work gnarlsagan!

I'm on it! Although I'm partial to the pressurization theory over the condensation theory. There are times when I get imbalance when the Tenores have been warmed up their pouch in my pocket, so the barrels aren't cold and therefore shouldn't produce condensation resulting in imbalance. After a few minutes, sometimes more, the imbalance subsides.

I think I may have found a connection with TTS happening more when I wear the Tenore over the ear. Perhaps that orientation affects venting. I'll have to do more testing with my two wonderfully afflicted Tenores.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,905 of 6,090
So what is causing the imbalance with the tenores, is it the drivers, the cabling, condensation? 

All these issues are steering me away from these phones, are issues inevitable with time with these phones?

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #3,906 of 6,090
  So what is causing the imbalance with the tenores, is it the drivers, the cabling, condensation? 

All these issues are steering me away from these phones, are issues inevitable with time with these phones?

Bottom line, nobody knows. Still, bassy sets or not, the Tenore sounds fantastic regardless of price. However, when it comes to build quality...

5iTfP.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,908 of 6,090
  So using them for the gym would be some daredevil level shenanigans?

Technically it remains to be seen if a good deal of the channel imbalance experienced by members is caused by excess canal pressure. If so, it would be fixable with simple foam tips and all you'd have to think about is how bassy your set is going to be.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #3,909 of 6,090
  So using them for the gym would be some daredevil level shenanigans?

The Tenores don't stay in my ears with any slight cable jerk, but I get a great seal & fit otherwise so I don't use them for any working out and the likes. Over-the ear & ear guides would probably help doe...

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,913 of 6,090
Thanks for the link.

I'm assuming the tenores aren't the best choice for EDM/HipHop due to the generally neutral(although warm) sound signature?

I like them for it! Sure, they are great all-arounders but I mainly listen to electronic type music and they excel to me, but my pair has a pretty elevated bass I think over some said "reference pairs" here. Smooth, yet detailed and punchy for fatigue free listening but still engaging. It's unique imho... BQ, QC regarding degree of bass, and TTS aside lol

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #3,915 of 6,090

^
yeppp for me nowadays musicality is key so even though other IEMs such as the DN1000s i have tried is technically "better" than the Ostry KC06 i enjoy the Ostrys much more in the end, same could be said about the VSonic GR07 BEs these days.....
ph34r.gif

900x900px-LL-a9508f08_8066a319-a201-4a8a-95a4-cd67f31ad11f.jpeg

Oh yes, you certainly did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back