Zero Audio Carbo Mezzo DX220-CM / Zero Bass ZB-03
Oct 1, 2016 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

AudioAw2015

100+ Head-Fier
Just want to start off the thread here. Here are the two newest products from Zero Audio, the Carbo Mezzo and the Zero Bass 3. 

Impressions: Carbo Mezzo DX220-CM

I'll base my impression off the Tenore as a reference point and I think most people just want to know how these sound compared to them. I don't have much experience with other IEM's in this price range so I can't comment on that.

Build:

+ Lightweight, sturdy construction.
+ Strain relief and the jack seems sturdy, both made of hard plastic.

- Terrible flat cable, not the supple rubbery kind but the stiff and plasticky kind. Couple of creases already out of the box due to the way they were packaged.

Fit:

+ Comfortable & could be worn over ear
+ No vacuum effect when inserting into the ears unlike the Tenore. 

- Driver flex

Sound:

Engaging forward sound, mid focused with a slightly enhanced treble and boosted lower mid bass. 

iPhone 4s -> O2

+ Clean, pristine sounding mids. Delivery and staging is similar to the Tenore, but more resolving with improved timbre. 
+ Treble weight and timbre improved, keeps the same airiness and transparency found on the Tenore.
+ Mid bass texture & transition improved and much more natural sounding compared to the Tenore.

= Overall a little less relaxed and smooth. A little more exciting and drier / raw sounding than the Tenore, which is a good or bad thing depending on personal preference. 
= Moderately boosted around 10 khz, accentuates certain artifacts from poor recordings. Hint of edginess with vocals on certain tracks.

- Leaning into bass head territory, on par with my FX750 in terms of bass quantity. Too much lower - mid bass relative to sub bass, gives a false sense of sub bass roll off.
- Depth of soundstage suffers from the boosted midbass and upper treble.

Thoughts

Technically superior to the Tenore and even the Duoza from what I remember. But I personally find the bass a little too forward and intrusive at times and throws off the tonal balance which gave the Tenore such a pleasant soundstage and rounded sound.

Impressions: ZB-03

Don't have anything good to say about these, especially considering the price they sell for right now. 
Heavy & hollow midbass, blunted midrange and treble. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 63

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 63
Well that sucks for the ZB03. Guess I won't be picking up any new ZA products

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 63
Thanks for the impressions. Mezzo looks like it might suit my preferences a little more vs tenore if it's less smooth, but the midbass sounds a bit off-putting. Have you heard the fx850 as well or just the fx750? Usually prefer flat bass, but I liked how the midbass hump on the 850 was handled.

I think the FX 850 handles it much better from what I remembered when I demoed them. The 850 does have that hump, but the way it transitions into the upper bass and the mids is much more gradual than the way the Mezzos' does it. Although with some eq adjustments, the mid bass becomes much more manageable.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 63
You do realize that the flagship is Doppio and not Mezzo or Tenore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back