Zeos Sound Demo comparisons (MDR-Z1R, LCD-4, Elear, EL-8C, M1060, L700, L300, M40x)
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #47 of 49
I've only watched a few of Zeos videos and they're quite enjoyable.

However, I just checked out his Stax L700 sound demo while wearing my iBasso iems, I heard Bob Marley 'Waiting In Vain' on his demo and then went to youtube and listened to it and thought, hang on, there's details going on in his demo and a wider soundstage that I'm not hearing when I go the song on youtube. Maybe this sound demo really can show me how amazing the L700 is.

Then I realised he's using the remix of that song. So I found the remix on youtube and of course heard all the extra detail and wider soundstage on his demo. What I heard on my iems was the exact same detail of his demo but obviously with much better fidelity.

I read all the comments on his demo page of people who are raving over how amazingly detailed it sounds and believe they're hearing the Stax L700 sound and how they must go out and buy them. Well of course the L700 will be amazing if you can actually afford to own it, but these sound demos are a joke, albeit a bit of fun. :D There's no way anyone can hear anything other, or anything meaningful than what the phones you're wearing can give you. I can't believe people get suckered into such a placebo effect.

I also listened to the same tracks on his Audeze LCD-4 sound demo. Exactly the same sound to me, very slightly less crisp than the L700 but so what, that won't represent anything like the actual experience of wearing and hearing the LCD-4.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #48 of 49
I'm completely new to all of this - GREEN - That being said, I've purchased 4 sets of cans based on his sound demos. I can't audition them anywhere local, so it had to suffice. After receiving and listening to them, I didn't find the actual sound miles off from what I heard in the demos. The only way for those demos to be of any value is to listen to several. I was able to get a rough flavor for the particular cans that had caught my attention. Then I would listen to those again and again until I felt confident about making a decision to buy or not. I gave up on his headphone reviews because the dude told me little to nothing regarding anything sound related.

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #49 of 49
Z is entertaining, that is for sure. And he understands cables, comfort etc. Many other reviewers talk about those aspects way too little, often just listing the specs briefly. When it comes to sound quality (esp frequency range, distortion), though, Z usually has very little to say. It's mostly about soundstage or something vague about the overall SQ in his opinion. That doesn't give one about to make a purchase much to go on, given that SQ is a top priority to most.

What I would like to hear is some simple descriptions of what instruments are upfront or how cleanly specific instruments are displayed in a mix. Maybe even a mention of some general areas of frequency that are hyped / low. This combined with the mentioned reference points (HD600 would be a good one) would make reasons for his enjoyment or displeasure much more easy to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back