Zeos Sound Demo comparisons (MDR-Z1R, LCD-4, Elear, EL-8C, M1060, L700, L300, M40x)
May 15, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #31 of 49
To me, he doesn't come off as a sellout most importantly or he pushes as his opinions are the end of all. Sure, his reviews are non-convential or has a script, LOL, but I like spontaneousness, and just flow of his thoughts seem natural and transparent. If you diagree with his opinion, you disagree. He's another reviewer, you may disagree in opinion like any other reviewer, but how is he a sellout?

Shooo... I live for the ridiculous, funny, unscripted, mind-vomit moments in his videos... :grin: "What did he just say??!"

May 15, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #33 of 49
It's entertaining, he's got lots of character. He does cooking videos as well. :darthsmile:

He's not afraid to express himself in the medium.

That's right -- forgot about those, haven't watched any yet, but definitely will!

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #36 of 49
No one here really likes Zeos... He doesn't know much about audio...
speak for yourself ,,
for me i like his reviews beside his funny personality ,, he is a trustful guy for what he hear and think about ,
he says what in his mind without any hesitation , in a smart and easy way to comprehend,

maybe not all his recommendation i agree with, but sound is a personal taste with a lot of variables,
at the end i don't need someone to tell me if this headphone or that is good or bad based on measurements or sophisticated vocabulary

sound carries feelings and emotions so what i look for is a honest expression (among others) that i build upon a solid decision to go for that headphone or gear ,
and some of Z recommendations are my most favored headphones in my collection ..

May 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #37 of 49
Why would I want to see Steve Guttenberg's shillfest? "Oooo. Olala. wow. the best overpriced headphones ever!" - Steven Guttenberg's general reviews.

He does seem to have a lot for an audio reviewer. 100k subs(I just noticed this today). That's a lot for this niche hobby.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #38 of 49
Why would I want to see Steve Guttenberg's shillfest? "Oooo. Olala. wow. the best overpriced headphones ever!" - Steven Guttenberg's general reviews.

He does seem to have a lot for an audio reviewer. 100k subs(I just noticed this today). That's a lot for this niche hobby.

Lol, I like Steve Gutenberg, and he’s actually given some love to some very low-priced budget gear. :)

May 18, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #39 of 49
I love the silence from the haters after Z's post. No response? Z wonderfully exposed your pathetic head-fi egos.

IMO, the most important point Z makes is that its just a hobby and people on here are discussing it as if its religion.

What I really don't understand, after, at one point, owning most of the regarded gear talked about on this site (sub $1,000), why anyone would put stock in what a reviewer says, even if you know their reference point? You have to hear it for yourself, every single time! You just do. Sure we know Tyll's ears are sensitive to treble and frequency response peaks hear and there blah blah blah. No matter how articulate the reviewer, you just can't know till you hear them whether the headphone will give you joy. If you limit yourself to listening to or buying products based on reviews, your missing out on a lot of audio. This undeniable fact makes all reviews utterly useless in regards to your purchasing decisions. Your just going to buy it and then sell it if you don't like it anyway. Don't you really buy gear after hearing the buzz about it in the community?

The other thing that I find interesting, is that despite the fact that Z is less polished by design and his articulation lacks audiophile grade fanciness, I end up agreeing with him more than (or at least as much as) I do most other "Professional" reviewers. I love that Z addresses the point that is relevant for me, which is, does this headphone warrant listening to? Is there a reason to pay attention to it. If so, Z will find it and discuss it.

Lastly, you can't deny he's better than most on build quality. He adds true practicality to his observations. Ok, so I don't really care if the volume nob position indicator is well marked, but if I did, he'd cover it.

May 19, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #41 of 49
I'll speak up again

@janchadley you say "I love that Z addresses the point that is relevant for me, which is, does this headphone warrant listening to? Is there a reason to pay attention to it." - surely that's as good as any other reviewer, and still only one person's view on whether there is something good to attribute to the headphones.

My main issue is the amount of money Zeos makes, he's making thousands a month for just strapping a GoPro to his head and one minute ranting the next hyping (he's not the only one). I prefer a more structured review. It's just the world we live in, where the really creatives in the industry usually get less exposure than those who have a more accessible and wacky style.

I commend Zeos on making audio a bit more accessible to the masses on YouTube. I just think there are some incredible reviewers with much more structured and in depth analysis that go under the radar.

I have written bad reviews for brands like Sony, most companies want constructive critisism. I am well aware there are tons of reviewers much better than me.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #42 of 49
I'll speak up again

@janchadley you say "I love that Z addresses the point that is relevant for me, which is, does this headphone warrant listening to? Is there a reason to pay attention to it." - surely that's as good as any other reviewer, and still only one person's view on whether there is something good to attribute to the headphones.

My main issue is the amount of money Zeos makes, he's making thousands a month for just strapping a GoPro to his head and one minute ranting the next hyping (he's not the only one). I prefer a more structured review. It's just the world we live in, where the really creatives in the industry usually get less exposure than those who have a more accessible and wacky style.

I commend Zeos on making audio a bit more accessible to the masses on YouTube. I just think there are some incredible reviewers with much more structured and in depth analysis that go under the radar.

I have written bad reviews for brands like Sony, most companies want constructive critisism. I am well aware there are tons of reviewers much better than me.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like envy.

May 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #43 of 49
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like envy.

I would love to earn what he does doing little videos.

However I also really enjoy my day job, which involves recommending headphones, so it's not all bad.

But I do prefer a structured review, like those of Currawong, Brooko, Twister6 and more...

May 19, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #45 of 49
I've been following Zeos for quite some time. His review style is a mess. He can talk for 30 mins and I still don't get any idea of the SQ.

Also, I don't think he has good trained ears. BUT most of the audio consumers out there don't have good ears. When he says "DACs all sound the same", I definitely don't agree with him, BUT that is what most consumers hear. Normal consumers can relate to that.

The number one problem with reviewers are the conflict of interest they have with the buyers. 90% of them represent the sellers. The kind of hype/snake oil they generate is insane. I don't notice Zeos has this (conflict of interest) so far, or at least is minimal. Yes he makes money from his links or his Patreon or whatever, but I don't see him representing the seller's interest. This is very important and his greatest asset. Also the very reason why I still watch him.

Perhaps other reviewers can learn a thing or two from this guy. Fancy website or structured reviews don't mean anything if it is meant to sell products. I'd take medium quality buy-side reviewers any day.

Trusted places like headfonia etc... Make money from adverts but don't push you on every review to follow their product link. They focus on trying to give a balanced opinion of the sound.
Are you high? Don't even mention that site.

Am I the only one who ordered a pair of z1r’s after reading and listening to this thread?
Only from this thread? Wow. You, sir, are a prime target for audiophoolery. Most review sites are aimed for people like you. That's why they exist.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back