Zen Micro Question
May 25, 2005 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

notderrick

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just received a new 6 gb zen micro from amazon and am having a few problems. To begin with, there is a loud, high pitch noise that I hear (even over some music) when the hard disk spins. Is this normal with the zen micro? Also, there is always some noise in the output. The noise sounds like basic static with pops and clicks and occurs even when I have the music playing at 0 volume. Has anyone else experienced these problems? Thanks,

Derrick

May 25, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 15
I noticed the high pitched squealy noise with my replacement Zen Micro. Didn't happen with my original. But I'll live with it unless it gets really annoying. I don't get pops or clicks though.

May 25, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by notderrick
Hi,

I just received a new 6 gb zen micro from amazon and am having a few problems. To begin with, there is a loud, high pitch noise that I hear (even over some music) when the hard disk spins. Is this normal with the zen micro? Also, there is always some noise in the output. The noise sounds like basic static with pops and clicks and occurs even when I have the music playing at 0 volume. Has anyone else experienced these problems? Thanks,

Derrick

No and no. I'd send it back for a replacement.

May 25, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Hi,

Derrick

RMA it while you still can.

May 25, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 15
I really want to like the zen micro, but the problems I've had are unacceptable. I have been using (and loving) my Karma for almost 1.5 years now, but now need to find something that works with Janus subscription. I should be getting a replacement micro from amazon on friday and hope that the problems will be isolated. If that is not the case, would I better off with one of the new dell djs? Does anyone have a karma and micro/dj and can shed some light on these two choices? Thanks again,

Derrick

May 26, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 15
Hello,

I just received a new micro and it seems to have the same noise problems. The high squeel seems to be interference with the hard drive spinning or accessing data and the other noise seems to be related to the disk as well. The second noise is always present, but not audible unless amped loudly with no music playing. Does anyone have any info about these types of background noises with the dell dj? I'm sure that the arrangement of the electrical components inside the device is partly responsible for these noises and I am wondering if the dj 30 or pocket dj share these problems. I can hear a similar squeel with my karma, but it isn't quite as loud as the micro. Thanks for the comments,

Derrick

May 27, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Hello,

I just received a new micro and it seems to have the same noise problems. The high squeel seems to be interference with the hard drive spinning or accessing data and the other noise seems to be related to the disk as well. The second noise is always present, but not audible unless amped loudly with no music playing. Does anyone have any info about these types of background noises with the dell dj? I'm sure that the arrangement of the electrical components inside the device is partly responsible for these noises and I am wondering if the dj 30 or pocket dj share these problems. I can hear a similar squeel with my karma, but it isn't quite as loud as the micro. Thanks for the comments,

Derrick

Do you have the same problem with different headphones? It seems very unlikely that all three of your players have this same problem, looks like a headphone problem.

May 27, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 15
I've got a request. Can someone with a micro and some IEM's (I use E3cs) try to play a song with the volume at zero? Can you hear electronic noises throughout the song? In my case, the noise stops when I pause the song. My new 6 GB micro also exhibits this problem. Thanks,

Derrick

I assume that you're right about the sensitivity of the phones, but I just want to be sure that I'm not having strange problems. Also, the phones work fine with my karma, so I don't think that they're bad. Thanks again.

May 27, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Hello again,

Something else that I have noticed is that the second (electronic sounding noise) is much more evident when I'm playing wma subscription file from yahoo than with regular mp3s. Any idea why this would be the case? There is no noise in those files when they are played through my transit. Thanks again,

Derrick

May 29, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 15
I would avoid zen micros all together. I got one, it broke, sent it back, the next one i recived broke in the next month again now im getting a refund. I think there just dodgy on the whole and ive been hearing bad things about them so its just not me.

May 30, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cena
I would avoid zen micros all together. I got one, it broke, sent it back, the next one i recived broke in the next month again now im getting a refund. I think there just dodgy on the whole and ive been hearing bad things about them so its just not me.

I took the risk and bought one of these today, a white 5gb model. Very impressed so far, not having any problems. Using shure earphones and havnt experienced any high pitch noise.

I've owned iriver and ipod in the past but imo this beats them hands down on my first impressions.

May 30, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 15
My 5GB had been around me for almost a month, and it's running fine. I had only one prob, it didn't turn on but I just took the battery out and put it back in again, and it worked.

May 31, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 15
Base on what you guys have said, I think that I got two bad micros. Does anyone have experience with the 6 gb? I wonder if they changed the design at all. Maybe this problem is specific to that model, and not just my two. Thanks,

Derrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back