Zen Micro - Loose headphone jack.
Jan 5, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oneils

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, I have a creative zen micro and the headphone jack has come loose, causing distortion. I'm past my warranty. I was wondering if there were any way to fix it without opening it up? All the suggested solutions I've seen entail opening up the unit.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 10
Fixing it shouldn't be very hard. You should be able to pry out the top part of the zen micro. its held together by gule so no worries about breaking anything inside. I took a piece of paper and carefully glues it around the jack to prevent it from moving. There are some pics online I think that tell you how to take apart your micro. There may be other better ways to fix this...this is how I fixed mine

good luck

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 10
The same thing just happened to my Zen Micro - noticed it yesterday. I'm not sure how it happened, because I take good care of my gear. It sounds like maybe there's a build quality issue or something. I too would be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a fix.

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson99
The same thing just happened to my Zen Micro - noticed it yesterday. I'm not sure how it happened, because I take good care of my gear. It sounds like maybe there's a build quality issue or something. I too would be interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a fix.

many people have experianced it. It was a flaw in the original design, and the later designs have reinforced headphone jacks. My first one started disconnecting after 5-6 months, and they sent me a new one. The RMA process went very smoothly too. If you're out of warrenty, apparently it can be easily fixed if your willing to open the ZM up. I was within warrenty though, so I just RMA'd it.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks skudmunky. I'll try to scrounge up the receipt to see the purchase date. Who knows I might still be under warranty. If not, I'll contact creative and see if anything can be done. If they can't do anything...I'll have to open her up!

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey, same thing has happened to me. I'm actually fixing that and a friend's ipod mini who has a similar problem today.

this should help... http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:i...x&hl=xx-hacker
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...9&id=1331&pg=4

the second link shows you how to open the thing, but really you only need to open enough to get a hold of that panel mounted on the plastic.

Does anyone know how to solder in that tiny location? I've soldered in small spots like that too, but never have I done that in a small unreachable spots.

GL

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EBisky

Also, how can I fix it myself?

I had the same problem myself. I just went to this website http://www.noboundrees.com/Micro_Fix/.
Its pretty step by step and should tell you everything you need to know. Just note that some soldering is needed. It wasn't too difficult though.

Just know that you aren't alone with this problem. On creative's discussion forum there's a thread over 1000 posts long with people complaining about the headphone jack.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 10
I got mine somthing like an year ago. At that time you think they had fixed this prob? Cause I looove ma little micro and I dont want nothing to happen to ma babeee!

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Alright, I have a really easy fix (but you still need to open the zen's case). I had tried the lame staple idea, but eventually found the soldering site. (after I bought an ipod nano
rolleyes.gif
)

Well, as not being a good solderer at all, I decided to place 3 slices of electrical tape over the headphone jack (following the soldering guide to step 13). This was enough to clear the gap between the headphone jack and the metal harness that screws the PCB to the plastic backplate.

So...the pressure from the screwed-on metal harness + electrical tape is enough to keep the jack in place. I've spent about 20 minutes wiggling the headphone jack, but have not encountered any problems.

I didn't take any pictures. But this guide http://www.noboundrees.com/Micro_Fix/ has enough good pictures of the jack. Just place 3-4 slices of electrical tape over the top of the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back